Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls - Patch 2.1 content update in a few min

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Leafninja View Post
    If Diablo 3 had a currency/trade system between players, a character build system and Offline Mode like Diablo 2, i'd actually have an incentive to play the game.
    I would agree with some kind of trading system, as well as offline. I think we're far more likely to get a trade system than offline though.

However the character build system is basically the same as D2 in terms of raw customization. Every class uses one of a few builds which are the best as well as some themed builds which are fun but not that great, each class has a few specific legendary (unique) items that they want, each class has one or two specific stat builds to aim for, it's really the same thing.

People who think D2 had great class customization are wearing rose tinted glasses in my opinion. Every single class outside of outlier builds (aka, builds not as good as the general builds. Fun maybe, but not as good) had the exact same stat build: Str for gear, Dex for gear or max block, rest into vit, nothing into energy. Every class had a few popular builds that were the best and some fun/weird builds that could work but were never top tier, each class had a few unique items that made them overpowered...sounds familiar doesn't it?

Every ARPG out there is basically cookie cutter or bust, always has been and always will be. Even the touted orb system from PoE has very little actual customization if you want to do the hardest end-game stuff solo. In any game about stats there will always be the kings, the hope is that the queens are just as fun as the kings. They never are though, being the best is fun, being able to wreck things you aren't supposed to do solo is fun, even grouping in an ARPG can be fun (of course you get kicked if you're a queen build and not a king, so...back to king with you).

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by sutasafaia View Post

However the character build system is basically the same as D2 in terms of raw customization. Every class uses one of a few builds which are the best as well as some themed builds which are fun but not that great, each class has a few specific legendary (unique) items that they want, each class has one or two specific stat builds to aim for, it's really the same thing.
    That's why D2 had character attribute points and a skill tree? :P

D2's customization is far beyond D3's..

Trading is already implemented in-game but the people who are behind D3 are clueless about aRPG's. They think they're getting rid of RMT spam and RMT by removing trading, but they're not. Infact, I'd beg to say the RMT spam is even worse. The whole game's philosophy needs to be re-worked.

The graphics and game play is all it has going for it. (POE Player here myself, and yeah I admit it.. D3's gameplay and graphics are stunning, but character progression and the whole aRPG feeling is gone in D3).

It's a fun arcade game you'd see at skating rink and pay 25 cents to complete a rift.. And if you complete it under xx minutes, you get more free time! That's how I view the game atleast.. (I am paragon 597 btw)
    Last edited by OTN; 09-07-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OTN View Post
    That's why D2 had character attribute points and a skill tree? :P

D2's customization is far beyond D3's..

Trading is already implemented in-game but the people who are behind D3 are clueless about aRPG's. They think they're getting rid of RMT spam and RMT by removing trading, but they're not. Infact, I'd beg to say the RMT spam is even worse. The whole game's philosophy needs to be re-worked.

The graphics and game play is all it has going for it. (POE Player here myself, and yeah I admit it.. D3's gameplay and graphics are stunning, but character progression and the whole aRPG feeling is gone in D3).

It's a fun arcade game you'd see at skating rink and pay 25 cents to complete a rift.. And if you complete it under xx minutes, you get more free time! That's how I view the game atleast.. (I am paragon 597 btw)
    Except the stat tree in D2 was literally exactly two builds:
    Strength for gear
    Dex for gear
    Rest vit
    No energy

or Strength for gear
    Dex for max block
    Rest vit
    No energy

There was no other build you could use for stats if you wanted to play a proper character and any other build was an outlier that wasn't as effective as doing it the right way. So basically...zero customization.

Builds were the same in D2 as in D3. You have a few god tier builds, then everything else. You played a god tier or your character simply wasn't as good as somebody that did. You could have fun with other builds, same as D3, but you would simply not perform as well as somebody who played the right character.

It's exactly the same between D2 and D3, being able to click a few '+1 point' buttons doesn't change the fact that you were making a weaker character if you put that point into the wrong place vs picking the wrong skill/rune in D3.

It's the same between any other ARPG also, this isn't limited to D2/D3, PoE and every other ARPG are in the same boat. It's not even limited to just ARPGs, that's kind of the point. You either play the best builds or you fall short, there are no exceptions. Any game that involves you choosing stats, skills, etc will always have tiers and you will always be weaker for not choosing the best ones. That isn't what I would consider genuine customization but until a game comes out with such good balance that you're free to pick any skill and be just as competitive it's basically what we're stuck with.

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 76

I still play D2 xD

Median XL Ultimative :> New Ver coming out soon still gets updated too
    League of Legends US - IGN ForceModified
    Steam - mystryx1

Quote Originally Posted by Mystryx View Post
    I still play D2 xD

Median XL Ultimative :> New Ver coming out soon still gets updated too
    I still prefer Eastern Sun over Median but I don't think ES actually gets updates anymore. Not sure, I haven't checked for a while.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567