alright who read house of leaves?

Hybrid View

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Default alright who read house of leaves?

Post some things you thought about the book here. I just finished it and have nobody to talk to about it.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 676
    wasps, wet socks, and bad vibes: the theskald story

i've read it twice! i thought johnny's narrative was way more unsettling and interesting than the navidson story, which i didn't find as spooky as people say it is. except for, uh, pages 275-312 in my edition, when navidson and co. are getting deeper and deeper into the house going faster and faster. that shit was intense. other than that though, when i was reading the navidson story, i found myself kind of just waiting for it to get back to johnny. he was the best part of the book, imo. it's probably the best descent-into-madness story i've ever read. did you read the newest edition of the book, with the whalestoe letters at the end? that part is insane, no pun intended.

i gotta admit though, around the middle when it's focusing more on karen and there's all these interviews and quotes from journalists and stuff, i find myself kind of zoning out.

i think it's a great book overall, even if it can get kind of pretentious and boring at times. the imagination and creativity in it is amazing! i loved flipping back and forth, looking for clues and trying to figure out what was going on. and it's pretty damn creepy.

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Yeah mines the newest edition. I stopped at the letters to give myself something to do tonight.

I thought it was pretty great, but I agree with the people who say its mostly a love story. Pretty great.

So, what do you think about Johnny at the end with thr band? You think that actually happened? Do you think he found peace? Think he died? I'm torn on it.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 676
    wasps, wet socks, and bad vibes: the theskald story

ha, i have no idea. it's hard to say how much of johnny's story actually happened and how much of it he made up. that incident with the band was the last thing johnny wrote, right? i'd imagine he just kept going down whatever path he was on. probably died eventually. i can't picture that guy getting better, haha.

and i didn't really pick up on the love story aspect. i can definitely see it, looking back, but i never really felt it when i was reading it. to me it was just about insanity. johnny's mental insanity and navidson's physical insanity. told in such a crazy way it kind of makes you feel insane. which is all pretty creepy. definitely the most unsettling book i've ever read.