New MMORPGs crashing and burning

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 10

At the core all games in their respective genre are pretty much the same. I don't expect innovation from mmo's because it's rare and hard to come by, and in my opinion same with other genre's. Though I would guess sandbox element has become more of a factor. I mean in my experience in CoD: MW2, after playing the game for a while it is actually boring. It's nothing new just a better well made FPS at the time. Though once xbox 360 modders got a hold on the game it open a whole new level of entertainment. I play that game for a straight year. I normally don't stick to FPS for more than a month at most but when modded lobby's came out there was so much more varieties to the game.

Though the problem is a lot of companies, developers, and publisher's make a lot of mmorpg that is literally nothing much different from one to the next. Console games tend towards more to story aspect of gamers. You wouldn't exactly play games like Sleeping Dogs thousands of hours if the next game had pretty much the same story and style and the game was practically the same.

edit: Really what just reminded me when I typed that out was that it would be really interesting if mmorpg were more tended towards story's instead of the world itself. I mean I really liked how The Secret World had a lot of episodic like story content. Along with well thought out investigation quests.
    Last edited by GenoX; 08-28-2014 at 05:24 AM.

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

That really sucks, especially if more people think that way.
    Right now people can't be turning down ideas. Companies need to leave their comfort zone to get to the next big thing and it doesn't seem like any are trying to do that.
    Just a friendly reminder to never ever play a game published by PWE(Perfect World Entertainment)

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 31

MMORPGs need to die for a few years so they can be reborn for the "no life" crowd again. Making an mmo too accessible takes the time sinks out, which in turn lowers your population thanks to everyone beating the end game in 2 months.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

The difference between WoW, and most other clones, is that.....

Duh duh duhhh !!
    WoW copies from multiple games, and so WoW is better than all of those games.
    WoW Clones, on the other hand, are cheap copy of WoW itself. And so each of those clone is less than a half of a WoW. And that's why they bite the dust.

There's nothing wrong with copying. We have awesome FPS, and RPG, and RTS from copying. But the success ones are the ones that become better from copying.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 43

Problem to me seems to be, that it has to focus on end game raids or nothing else. They tend to refuse to do much else or they do it in a way to not make enough of a focus on more interesting ways. Then it's not even just that-
    Take FFXI -FFXIV, there's a massive difference between the two and FFXI to Pre-Abyssea, Point i'm getting at using FFXI is that no one really supported it much before. Just really sucks ass, that was one of the few MMOs that was very group based to group up(and felt like an actual mmo), many ways to fix it but they took the easy way out. FFXIV felt alot like that, while XI was immersive, XIV not so much, there was boats/airships you had to wait for then wait on, nothing was instants till the Warps in XI, but even before that there was fishing on boats where you pull up mobs and have to fight them, and also encounters with pirates at times at times.
    Everything has become lets get there faster and not enjoy the game, it's become endgame and not enjoying the path to the end for loot, then just straight to end game.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by silent420 View Post
    Problem to me seems to be, that it has to focus on end game raids or nothing else. They tend to refuse to do much else or they do it in a way to not make enough of a focus on more interesting ways. Then it's not even just that-
    Take FFXI -FFXIV, there's a massive difference between the two and FFXI to Pre-Abyssea, Point i'm getting at using FFXI is that no one really supported it much before. Just really sucks ass, that was one of the few MMOs that was very group based to group up(and felt like an actual mmo), many ways to fix it but they took the easy way out. FFXIV felt alot like that, while XI was immersive, XIV not so much, there was boats/airships you had to wait for then wait on, nothing was instants till the Warps in XI, but even before that there was fishing on boats where you pull up mobs and have to fight them, and also encounters with pirates at times at times.
    Everything has become lets get there faster and not enjoy the game, it's become endgame and not enjoying the path to the end for loot, then just straight to end game.
    This reminds me of a tips someone told me to enjoy skyrim better, dont fast travel. Companies aren't thinking of the next big thing because they dont go to a source where people have random ideas, they dont want to bank on something new because they have no idea how the audience will react to it making a less safe investment. MMORPG must have end game yes, but the issue people make with all in my opinion, is having the game revolve around that, level 1-79 no challenge, then at level 80 you farm or buy your end game gears and then do what?, there is no content for the lower levels, just stuff to get you to max level as fast as possible, anyone here ever played PW before hyper stones and oracles? it would take months to hit 100 with the level cap being 105, level 89 was an accomplishment, but games i see now, 1 week MAX, not even no life-ing it you can reach max level, there is nothing to obtain at lower levels, which is why i stand firm against giving Armour and weapons in instances, it feels like i am just being given everything on a silver platter, not really working for it especially when the drops rates are so easy, so all in all, it's just companies making cookie cutter mmorpgs that are easy to get to level cap so you can spend money on end game gears.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 142

Most developers / publishers just do what brings them the most money and it seems to quickly develop MMORPGs and then milking out players and then closing it and launching a new one brings in a lot more money than trying to get a happy and stable playerbase.

I mean it's the same for mobile games. If you release a good game for $20 and no in-app purchases, everybody complain about the high price and nobody buys it. You can sell it well for $5, but it won't bring in too much money. However, if you make it free, completely adjust the mechanics so they aren't very enjoyable for free and then put items that actually make it enjoyable as in-app purchases, you have plenty of people paying $100 or more for you game without complaining.

No wonder that almost every developers/publisher aims for that these days.

And the few developers who are too good hearted for that and rather be popular with the players just don't have enough money to realize their dream game or just don't get enough money from it to survive / keep updating it.

Humanity gets just what they want. Crap games to throw money at. Because why else would those make the most money?

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 88

If you actually want some sort of quality in your game, you don't have that option in F2P MMOs. They will always be P2W and it's always about the money. People don't realize that you end up paying more in a F2P MMO than a monthly subscription fee of 10 to 15 dollars a month in a P2P. Sure, you can play a F2P without spending a dime, but you're going to end up struggling against those who have the pocket change to spare and just boost themselves and get ahead in the game.

While this is entirely subjective, WoW & FFXIV:ARR are the best MMOs out right now, and they're both P2P. People are paying a monthly fee for the quality in these games, and they receive it. If they don't, they stop, and companies start losing money.
    Last edited by KREVA; 08-28-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 23

The fault is not in the developers but in the player base. When you've got people throwing money left and right at crappy games, they're going to keep making crappy games.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by MiRaJe View Post
    The fault is not in the developers but in the player base. When you've got people throwing money left and right at crappy games, they're going to keep making crappy games.
    kinda like what's going on with music.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast