New MMORPGs crashing and burning

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default New MMORPGs crashing and burning

IN light of becoming bored and quitting another mmorpg, then later coming back to see only negative reviews on it, or it is infested with spammers, bots or became completely pay to win, why is this a trend? why are all the new mmorpgs doing so bad?
    we have(2013-current date)
    Aura kingdom aka Bot kingdom
    Black gold online, completely broken game
    Swordsman online, just came out already people are calling it pay to win and to be honest i found this game rather boring
    HeroesGo, closed down
    Dragons Prophet, this game was just terrible
    Ragnarok online 2
    etc(feel free to add more)
    so why are the MMORPGS that are new, coming out so bad?

FabianN's Fanatic Reputation: 70

Because some developers don't want to take time and effort and some don't want to hear out the community. At the end of the day, it's all about money, not happiness.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EQ Next, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior ∑ Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

Link's a Hippie! Reputation: 15

The MMO audience has grown really large due to FFXI and WoW's popularity.

When I think of old MMO's I see a lot of variety ex: Maplestory, Fairyland, Monster, Pristontale, Ragnarok, Shadowbane. If you look at those you can tell they have big fundamental differences. I think that now that the MMO audience has grown alot due to ffxi/wow etc, a lot of companies are coming into the market for money. A lot of these companies are blinded by the popular MMOs and end up creating half-assed MMOs with your modern typical 1-2-3-4-5 skills etc. They don't create anything special, because they are "copying". A copy will never have potential because it doesn't have it's own identity to become a full-fleshed game that feels complete and strong. I think this is why a lot of MMOs end up badly.

However, there are still a lot of other interesting MMOs coming out and succeeding. I am waiting for the day where there will be a new MMO concept that will blow my mind.

What coldReactive said is probably more true than what I did though.
    Last edited by Skyrax; 08-28-2014 at 01:39 AM.

FabianN's Fanatic Reputation: 70

Indeed, some Developers are going to try the Sandbox approach, such as EverQuest Next. Regardless if EQN has PVP or not, I'm going to try it for that reason. (Plus, EQ2 is getting pretty Dated.) From what they showed of combat in EQN: Landmark, it's going to be a bit more action than traditional tab-target and Macros.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EQ Next, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior ∑ Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

In my opinion copying some aspect are good, but if you take the good from the games that keep people online, for me that was perfect world's territory war, that was an amazing event, it had tactics, it involved a guild, it inspired lower levels to get up to the big leagues, small guilds to rise up. People need to look at what keeps players on these mmorpgs and try to implement that, combat of TERA, Territory war of PW, crafting of skyrim, instances like PW and tera(they were challenging and the rewards are fair for the amount of effort put in), some quest variance (not all kill x amount and return). i knwo this maybe impossible to find, hence why i am starting to learn programming and game development from scratch to maybe one day i can make such a game.

Link's a Hippie! Reputation: 15

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't think my post was good. If you take a look at WoW, it copied a lot of things and became a really good well rounded game. I guess it's more like game developers aren't taking time to observe those other details that you're talking about and devote to making a real good game.

Rock Man Reputation: 10

Taking aspect of different mmorpg is a pretty flaw thing to do. It'll end up like those mmo's that just simply present a bunch of feature but the game isn't all that refreshing. All the legend (using legend because they were once immensely popular) games had their own twist to them. Which I believe is one of the reason that lead some of those game to being success. Most major failures are indeed letting marketing department run the game instead.

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

Games have been copying eachother with small differences since, well, the dawn of video games. Wolfenstein/Doom. Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat. Super Mario/Crash Bandicoot. Quake/Unreal Tournament. For a long time, people were okay with this.

I can't quite put my finger on why MMOs are different in the sense that people expect truly innovative titles. I'm not defending MMOs, I hate the WoW-style grind and themepark MMOs, I just can't understand what sets MMOs apart from single-player / console games in the sense that MMOs are expected to be more innovative.

I mean I sort of understand, like the FPS crowd. Some prefer Call of Duty despite the fact each sequel is identical to the last. Some prefer Battlefield because of the huge, open maps and vehicles and more realistic gameplay style. But they're both FPS games at the core.

I think MMOs won't be really innovative until they're like...so sandboxy yet realistic at the same time, we're just simulating real life without the consequences of death. Hard to explain what I'm trying to say. Something like Grand Theft Auto meets Minecraft.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

small differences between those games were something new to experience
    MMOs trying to copy WoW aren't trying to do new things, but rather just copy WoW
    Just a friendly reminder to never ever play a game published by PWE(Perfect World Entertainment)

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

Quote Originally Posted by yuniuninuniun View Post
    small differences between those games were something new to experience
    MMOs trying to copy WoW aren't trying to do new things, but rather just copy WoW
    Yeah, that I understand. Like I said, I hate the WoW-clone themeparks. I can't think of something that would be truly innovative though. I'm friends with a game company CEO who recently turned down a $10million dollar budget to create a new MMO because, and I quote directly from him, he "doesn't know what the next big thing is". Nobody right now seems to know, thats why the market is in such a stalemate.

Actually, let me copy/paste directly from Facebook;

Matt Mihaly: I just yesterday decided to turn down ~$10 million that was being practically shoved at me to do literally whatever I want in games [...] I can't see what the next big thing is right now either.

Matt Mihaly: And keep in mind I'm talking about games as a whole, not the MMO niche. Going back to the 80s we've gone through the 8-bit console era, the 16-bit console era, the rise of handheld, rise of the PC, rise of handheld, MMOs, virtual worlds, online casual games, social games, and mobile games. Reason I turned down the money is I have no idea what the big platform will be, and that's the important thing to me - otherwise you're just betting that you can make better content than everyone else who is trying to do the same thing as you, and that's not a very good bet generally without some kind of secret sauce that I don't think I possess.
    Last edited by Aktillum; 08-28-2014 at 05:21 AM.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast