Thread: How is my rig?

Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 61

Default How is my rig?

Used to help out in the tech section years back but I don't frequent this site as much.
    I decided I wanted to build a new PC while going used on some parts.
    I think I got a pretty good deal as I shopped around for hardware.

Currently using a backup GTX 570 from my old rig until the GTX 980 is released.
    The total of my current build is around 1010USD and will be around 1500USD once I get my GTX 980.
    That is pretty good when you take into account that the price of a 1440p monitor is added.

Specs below with price and some explanation for why I chose each piece.

i7 4770k (260USD) (I went for an i7 over an i5 mainly because I do recording at 1440p and the i7 helps compression with virtualdub. It also does perform better than an i5 in games that utilize more than 4 threads/cores like Crysis 3)

Noctua NH-D14 (60USD) (Haswell CPUs get hot, especially the i7 4770k so I got one of the best air coolers because I don't like liquid cooling.)

8GB 1600mhz ddr3 (56USD) (4GB is plenty for games right now but if you have a lot of applications open it can start to show it's limit with only 4GB )

Asus Maximus VI Hero (118USD) (My last PC build used an ASUS board so I trust them, it was also cheap so I went with this model)

Corsair Air 540 case +3 cougar 120mm fans (79USD) (I wanted the air 540 case the first time I saw it. Great air cooling potential and keeps the ugly wires in the back along with the PSU and drive bays. I also got it for a steal with a 3 fan bundle included)

Qnix 27' 2560x1440 monitor (240USD) (I wanted to experience 1440p but didn't want to spend a lot. I did my research and found the Qnix monitors were the same as the much more expensive brand monitors but did not pass A+ grading. I got mine for cheap with no dead pixels and it can overclock to 120hz if I wanted but I will leave it at 60hz)

2x1TB Western Digital blues (90USD) (I looked up benchmarks and this hard drive performed very well for my recording needs so I purchased one for my OS and games and the other for recording. I short stroked the stand alone recording drive to 500GB for faster read and write speeds.

Corsair HX1000 (76USD) (Someone from a website I frequent was selling their old power supply. It was a 240USD PSU at release but this one had been used a little bit. I wouldn't have bought it, but the seller included his receipt which made the warranty still valid for quite some time. 76USD for a 1000watt quality PSU that had a warranty is something I could not pass up since I might SLI in the future.)

Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 v1.0 (16USD) (I've used this keyboard for years so I decided to buy another for this build)

Etekcity M555 mouse (16USD) (A cheap mouse with lots of great reviews)

Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117

if you ever do a minecraft pack like yogscast complete or hat pack, you'll need to allocate 6 GB to java alone. (it'll idle at 4 GB Usage when you do, but it WILL take more.)

Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII · Saving For: New Computer