Do games like this exist?

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Do games like this exist?

I'm looking for 1 of 2 kinds of games...

1 - Action Based First Person MMORPG

If you've ever played Chivalry Medieval warfare, that's the kind of combat i'm looking for. Basically that game, but in an open world mmorpg setting. With this type of combat you have to time your attacks/blocks and attacks aren't instant, when you attack your character draws back then swings making it so other players can block/dodge... I've been looking all over for a game like this but i can't seem to find one...

2 - Action Based MMORPG w/Craftable Abilities...

This game doesn't really have to be first person, but I doubt there is any game that lets you create your own abilities.

What I mean by creating your own abilities is players would have to unlock ability attributes... For example say you want to make an ability that lets you shoot Fire Arrows into the sky and have them rain down in an area. You would first have to discover/learn how to shoot Multiple Arrows, learn Fire Magic, and learn how to Imbune Fire Magic. The player would then go to some sort of training area/building/menu where they would put together the attributes in order, and create the skill. Once created the skill can be used like normal.

I got this kind of thing stuck in my head after playing Magika. In that game players combine elements like fire, water, wind, earth, lighting, etc.. and other attributes like Shield, Laser, etc.. to make attacks. Only the user had to perform the combination every time.

But I can just imagine a game with this skill creation concept where players create all kinds of unique skills like Teleportation Arrow where players imbune an arrow with Time/Space magic so that when it hits something you teleport there. Or a Stealth skill that only works if a player is wearing the armor/equipment that they have imbuned with shadow magic. Or a player who has made a skill that makes everybody around him invisible by imbuning Shadow magic into Barrier magic. basically concealing his entire group in an invisibility bubble for a certain amount of time.

Even something that doesn't use magic like Sword Combos could be made into a skill after players learn all the different Swings/Thrusts/Jump. You could Start the skill off with a knock up attribute, leading to a jump>slash x3>knock down>stab combination. Players would have to test combinations out as it's possible the knock up they know doesn't keep the enemy in the air long enough to perform 3 slashes... And it would be up to players to train that knock up attribute to make it faster and stronger.

I guess #2 is looking more like an idea for a game design than me looking for that game.. But if there is such a game in the world, or if either of these games in the works and someone knows please let me know...

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I can give free 2 weeks, then buy more time with in-game gold.

Darkfall is the best PvP out right now, one of the top PvE games, not for carebears, this is full loot open world pvp.

Message me on skype for free buddy key: WhitebayUO

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

Mortal Online is pretty much 1st person action based combat with crafting, in an open world.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 23

OP's desires sound very complex, I don't know of any game that matches his criteria exactly because it combines both craftable/fine-tuneable skills as well as combos.

The closest thing that I can recommend is Path of Exile. It is not a first person mmo, it is an aRPG with an isometric view ala. Diablo. I recommend this because it features craftable skills/customizable skills similar to what you are looking for. The game accomplishes this by using a Materia system similar to Final Fantasy VII. There are skill gems and support gems. There are a wide variety of base skills you can choose from and an incredibly wide and diverse variety of supports.

For instance you can support fireball with lesser multiple projeciles to shoot 3 fireballs instead of one. Furthermore, connect it with to Chain make each fireball chain to multiple opponents after hitting one target. Furthermore, connect it with Knockback to make all the fireballs knockback enemies on hit Furthermore, connect it with spell totem, which will make you cast a persistent totem which will cast 3 chaining, knockbacking fireballs. Just as an example.

There are an insane amount of possibilities. Granted you have to do a lot of research to find out the many different possibilities. Each individual base skill has a number of interesting mechanics that might not be apparent at first glance. Take for example, the skill ball lightning which sends out a lightning ball projectile that does AoE damage around the projectile. You can support it with slower projectiles to make the projectiles move slower and therefore hit enemies more as it passes. Furthermore, you can support it with Increased AoE or Concentrated AoE, or both.

For the list of all base skills and supports look here: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Skills

Again, just as further example of the complex possibilities: One of my most successful builds combo'ed two abilities, Incinerate and Ball lightning. Incinerate is a fire spell and shoots projectiles in rapid succession infront of you. One of the nuances of the ability is that the range of the spray is affected not by AoE radius but by projectile speed. Faster Projectile speed = longer reach. Also, the damage builds up over time as you continue spraying uninterrupted (up to 3 stacks), the ramp-up time is affected by cast speed, faster cast speed= faster damage build up. So, I supported incinerate with spell echo which multiplies the cast speed and faster projectiles for increased range. I also supported it with knockback so that the knockback from incinerate would keep mobs inside my ball lightning radius for a longer duration therefore increasing the effectiveness of ball lightning. Furthermore, I had a keystone passive called Elemental Equilibrium which rewards you for using multiple elements by reducing a mob's elemental resist of other elements once you hit it with one element, since I'm using both lightning and fire, this was perfect. Furthermore, I used a unique helm called 3 Dragons which makes my fire damage shock enemies instead of igniting them (shock multiplies damage taken, ignite applies a dot based on initial damage) (By default Lightning damage shocks, Fire Ignites and Ice Chills/Freezes. 3 Dragons makes Fire Shock, lightning freeze and cold ignite). Since Incinerate has an incredibly rapid rate of fire but low damage per hit, it benefits most from shock.

I would cast 1 ball lightning and spray Incinerate to knock back enemies and keep them inside my ball lightning radius as it moved.
    Last edited by Geffreyy; 09-29-2014 at 04:49 AM.

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 41

Why the dicks have i never tryed Mortal Online? o,e I, for no reason what so ever, thought it was like Dynasty Warriors o-o
    I understand and quite frankly respect the subscription model :I

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

Mortal Online is pretty fun but waaay griefy. You definitely need a guild to survive the open PK world.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    Mortal Online is pretty fun but waaay griefy. You definitely need a guild to survive the open PK world.
    Yeah, this has always been a problem with the game. There's no incentive to be a good person, and no deterrent to being red/an ass hole. A large portion of the populations better players are what could be summed up as "ass holes." The kind of people that are racist simply because they know it pisses people off and all they want to do is piss people off. Because of this, it's always been insanely hard to be a "Good" or "blue" player. I was in a guild for two years that was strictly blue and it was fun, but we struggled when up against the massive horde of reds.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 41

They just updated about a week ago to make it so F2P accounts could only log in ONCE per 24 hours -,-;