What would you get?

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Default What would you get?

Birthday, Anniversary, and Christmas are all coming up, and I am getting old.

Already got my wife a couple karats of blue diamonds this year so trying to think of what I might want.

In the past I was always eager to buy the newest and coolest technology but it usually ended up shooting myself in the foot by jumping in on gadgets that were too far ahead of their times and ended up being dropped/unsupported in favor of the new generations that actually became popular.

Prime examples being,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archos_PMA400
    for '05 the list of things this device could do was amazing and that it was on an 'open' operating system could have lead to a great future. Unfortunately it never really took off (probably because of the price tag) and most apps for it were ported by the community for it instead of any really being developed directly for it.

and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIMM_One
    Also a bit ahead of its time. There were developers releasing apps for it, but it wasn't long before google purchased the company (or idea?) with the agreement that all further support would be dropped for it in preparation for the new generations properly branded by google.

The last console I logged any serious time on was the ps2 with nba live '05 (i think it was) before I got married and life took over.
    Since then I have pretty much only played Entropia both with my wife and on my own when she doesn't want to play.
    We did get a wii which I played around enough with to hook up a hard drive that I could save disks to in order to play without having to keep putting in different game disks. (was pretty cool the program would even download sleeve art etc.... to display when browsing the games on the HD)

So back to the topic... I'm turning 35, wife is 4yrs younger than me, and our son is turning 5.
    What is new and cool and fun for me (possibly also fun for my wife or son as well)???

The new android wear watches look cool, but since I already got burned once thinking I should wait one more generation before buying one. (have an S4 phone if that matters)

Console? Maybe one of the new consoles... but not sure even where to start there, what has good games for both me and a 5yr old? (I would like to do more stuff with him, but am usually too tired for physical stuff after work, so maybe games would be good)

Maybe just reviving the wii and getting a new hard drive for it, maybe ssd this time? (or do none of the new games work that way anymore?) (esp with a 5yr old I am concerned with spending a bunch of money on disks that will be scratched and useless in a short time)

Also consider that we have bandwidth restrictions here, so any idea that requires large downloads will not work. (40gig a month limit)

So... What would you buy or look for?

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Get a Wii U or Oculus Rift DK2. if you're technically minded. It may take a bit of effort to set up, but there are a few games out there that already make use of it and it can be a blast.

Wii U seems to have a few decent games worth playing.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Any idea how far out the consumer version is?

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Buy a space ship.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Buy a space ship.
    I am selling one right now if you want