Harry Potter Attacks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Default Harry Potter Attacks!

So, a 19yo guy physically attacks two teen girls after they verbally hound him for extended periods.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...attack-3134853

I may be a horrible person but I really think they deserve the scars.

The Undead Reputation: 448

good. i'd have probably thrown them a backhand or three too.

Super Moderator Reputation: 189

I'm going to use my moderator judgement and go into this assuming FarmerM didn't make this thread with the intention of it being a spammy "for the lulz" thread, and redirect you all to this bit from the new lounge rules:

Quote Originally Posted by The Rulez
    The spam rule only sort of applies in General now.

Spamming, as defined as posting innocuous, non-sensical posts (like discussing how wombats are the best cheesemakers in a thread about cheese) is OK. Spamming wherein a bunch of bots are spamming links to get a free iPad (the only free thing you get is a VIRUS!) is still not considered OK, so please continue to report report that.

HOWEVER when people are trying to have a SERIOUS discussion, like about racist culture, the decaying moral influence that religion has upon the military-industrial complex, or why the PS3 has no games, you CAN and WILL get warned/infracted for disrupting that conversation, whether it's through SPAMMING or flaming.

How can you tell when people are having a serious discussion? Because you should be a mature person capable of making that distinction without me telling you. If you're unsure, then just don't post, or make a new thread dedicated to your wombat misadventures.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 649
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

i'd like to translate my original post. what i meant was "of course stabbing and beating people because they insulted you isn't ok, don't be dumb"

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    I may be a horrible person but I really think they deserve the scars.
    Yes, that makes you a horrible person.
    Bullying is wrong, but is never an excuse for maiming people. (esp. kids)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    i'd like to translate my original post. what i meant was "of course stabbing and beating people because they insulted you isn't ok, don't be dumb"
    Edit: @Farmer I think I remember reading you have a kid or kids. I guarantee that before they reach adulthood they will say or do mean things to other people. Do you want to see this happen to them? And if it did, would you laugh at them for it?

Olpah's Object Reputation: 327

The kid definitely went too far, but seriously though, maybe people should learn not to call people names or harass them for no apparent reason than "I think you look funny/stupid/dorky etc."

At the end of the day, you don't walk up to a dangerous animal like a doberman and yank its tail (if it had one long enough to grab a hold of that is) for the lulz, because you realize it's going to maim the crap out of you. Humans on the other hand, live in this artificial state of safety at all times, so people just walk around like god damn zombies without a care in the world hurling verbal shit at each other because they know, consciously or not, that nothing's going to happen in return.
    In a way, incidents like this is nature taking its course.

It's inevitable that stuff like this happens if people insist on harassing people from beyond this smug sense of entitlement to personal safety. So, while I feel sorry that the girls had the bad luck to be the final straw in the hat for this kid, which lead to their suffering which was quite clearly out of touch with what they did, there is still the fact that they shouldn't have been ****ing doing that to begin with.

Maybe people should consider shit like that before-hand - maybe the kid you're just about to call fat or laugh at or whatever, has a history of being bullied, is emotionally unstable, and you're going to be that last drop that makes him tilt.
    If you don't have the social intelligence, and common sense to quite being a bullying prick at that point, or if thoughts like that don't even arise in your head before you start mouthing off to random strangers, in a way, I think you deserve what comes, just like how you deserve what comes if you walk over to a doberman and yank its tail (again, if it had one).

So, while these girls have obviously suffered more than I would want on anyone who's not a criminal psycho, maybe they'll learn how not to behave in public in the future, which by any standard, they should have known before they did what they did.

I mean, for gods sake, how much school violence couldn't have been avoided if more teenagers stopped being bullying little shitheads?
    Last edited by hian; 10-06-2014 at 11:59 PM.

The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

i don't object to having all our stupid crap deleted obviously, because it deserved to be deleted, but i just want to say that

i still hate this thread
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

@hian:
    Assume everyone attacked each other violently, because of I duno, minor impoliteness.
    Will
    A) impoliteness finally be eradicated and humanity perfected once and for all
    humanity go extinct, or at least, cave man rare.

Stay frosty.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 327

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    @hian:
    Assume everyone attacked each other violently, because of I duno, minor impoliteness.
    Will
    A) impoliteness finally be eradicated and humanity perfected once and for all
    humanity go extinct, or at least, cave man rare.
    I'm not saying people should walk on eggshells to avoid violent attacks at all times, but I'm saying that if you're not willing to not be a bullying prick you're not going to get my full sympathy when you actually do end up getting your ass handed to you. and that maybe if people learned to be more conscious of how people might react when bullied for prolonged period of times they'd take more care not to go out of their way to insult people for no reason.

And I don't really agree with the assessment that this is a "minor impoliteness".
    A lot of things can be potentially impolite, like a careless question or lack of sensitivity - this however was a comment clearly meant to insult someones appearance, lobbed at a guy for no reason what so ever.

If I see a girl/guy I don't know on the street, whom I think look weird or ugly, I am not going to say anything about. Why would I?
    In my mind, that's the breach of etiquette here, not so much as in what you say. The fact that anyone would presume that it's okay to make fun of, choice of words not withstanding, a persons appearance (especially a person you don't know, or even worse, you know has a history of being bullied) effectively eliminates any right to my sympathy.

Don't read to much into it.

The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

I don't disagree with your sentiment. He still overreacted. The thing is this; People overreact; The people who insulted him and him too. However, what I wanted to point out, is that the idea of leniency towards others is what life in society demands from everyone. We like to scratch those borders and we overstep them. We say, that the girls just got paid back in their own coin. I don't really agree on them getting a fair price for what they did, but it's the same currency. It doesn't really matter if it's used in assault or in retaliation.
    Whenever people trade in that currency of harm, there are people who are left with scars. What I find odd is the idea of taking the stance of the cornered rat that fights in desperation and call it reasonable. For it to make sense, you have to be cornered first. He was cornered and he fought. That's human. He was only cornered on accident and by strangers who didn't understand his situation. No normal person would react like he did. The insult was completely meaningless. If we emphsize with him and justify his acts and call similar violence justified, we are just building a violent world with more of the same corners corners for one to get backed into.
    We live in a world with relatively few corners. It's good that way. No one needs a violent lesson.

Also I try to price my sympathy cheaply. I wish I could give it to everyone.
    Last edited by Ronin; 10-07-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Stay frosty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast