Wander - an MMO without combat or competition

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Default Wander - an MMO without combat or competition

Just found out about wander.

It seems like a fairly interesting concept. Reminds me a lot of Endless Forest, which is one of my most memorable MMOs. Of course, EF is fairly old now and is smaller in scope. But it also has the peaceful, collaborative nature that Wander is aiming for.

I'm wondering if Wander will allow you to talk to other players (TEF didn't allow this, you could only use body language of your deer to communicate). I guess I'll need to read up more on it. There's about 28 minutes (or maybe more) of interviews to watch, so I guess I'll do that after I've posted this thread.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 72

It's always nice seeing ambitious new projects coming to the MMO world.
    I'll definitely look more into this game.

That tree looks terrifying though.
    ||(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧||

Playing:
    A bunch of 2013 games I missed.
    TERA: MT - Qewpid - Inactive
    TalesRunner: Phaun - CB tester - Inactive
    ArcheAge Sometimes

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 15

Although I don't think I'll be able to appreciate this game as much as other I will definitely try it out.

I always am eager to see company's do things differently rather then copy paste with a few new features. If more stuff like this got bigger hopefully It would mean seeing more innovation and new ideas circle around. So I'll keep my eye on this.

Sonic’s Milkshake Reputation: 10

So it's a chatroom with graphics?

Or is there actual gameplay to it also? Can't really tell from the trailer.

Those trees do indeed look terrifying!

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Rapiidz View Post
    So it's a chatroom with graphics?

Or is there actual gameplay to it also? Can't really tell from the trailer.

Those trees do indeed look terrifying!
    It's supposed to have narrative driven content. They've supposedly got about 2 hours of total voice acting in the game already, with plans to add a lot more. From what I heard in the interview, you enter the world unsure of what's going on. You don't remember your past and have no idea who you are. From there, you just explore and try to find clues. These clues (usually) come in the form of these rune stones. As you get near something interesting (such as these runestones) you begin to hear opera music, that gets louder the closer you get. Once you find the runestone, it'll either be a lore/guiding runestone (a voice telling you about the world, or giving you hints for further discovery).

Some of these runestones, however, will give you the ability to transform into something different. I'm not sure if it's a one-off thing, or if it'll be something you keep forever. However, one of the interfaces I saw in the demo seemed to suggest you could transform at will.

Right now there are five planned forms. The human form. The massive tree-dude form (that blends in really well with the environment you play in... well most of it, anyways). The gryphon (Which can fly). The water-lizard thing (About the size of the gryphon but designed for underwater stuff). And there's also a butterfly planned, which will also be able to fly and will be very tiny (in comparison of the human model, it'll be about the size of a real-world butterfly).

Of course these different forms afford you access to different content. A water-lizard thing wont be much help getting to high peaks, while a gryphon would do you much good while trying to explore underwater. Also, there are plans to implement ways for the different forms to interact. Such as the human being able to ride the gryphon and the water-lizard. Or multiple butterflies being able to land on the human.

It sounds fairly interesting to be honest. Lots of lore to experience, puzzles to solve, etc... The main developer even hinted that there would be sort of dynamic events. Such as storms that will have some odd effects if you don't take shelter from them. While these effects may not necessarily be bad, they may not be wanted, either. Or you may want them and purposefully seek out these storms.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

definitely sounds interesting, I'd like to try it

Currently Playing: Achaea