Hesitant to buy FFXIV: ARR

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    500+ Posts???? Reputation: 15

Question Hesitant to buy FFXIV: ARR

I have been really interested in FFXIV:ARR since its release -since I'm a Final Fantasy fanatic-. However, back then, I used a 6 years old HP laptop that was not meant for gaming, so I decided to keep FFXIV:ARR on my wishlist until I saved enough to build my own gaming rig.
    Now that I have my gaming PC I am tempted to buy the game, but one thing that bothers me now is the degree of time consumption of this game. With college and my part-time job I do not have much free time (roughly 2 - 3 hours) to invest into FFXIV. Yet, I am very eager to try out this game. The contradiction of these two factor make me quite hesitant. The deciding factor will be whether FFXIV is suitable for casual play. So, FFXIV veterans, please provide me some insights!

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 76

I like to think it's very suitable for casual play, as long as you don't mind paying the monthly sub while you play 2 - 3 hours a day, with the exception of being mid-dungeon you can leave and carry on straight where you left off.

Plenty of classes to level, crafting or fighting/healing and can all be done solo, theres no rush or anything to join dungeons but some will need to be done for quests and ofcourse you won't hit 50 that quickly but you'll slowly get there, only issue I would see is if you be a DPS, some of the dungeons can have a long queue time so getting in a dungeon and then completing it could take most of your time up (2 - 3hours)

I only play it casually, been playing for a long while but don't have more than 2 50's, just log on for a few hours each day, do some leveling on a class I choose then jump off.

Also, there's a free trial so go give it a shot when you got the time and try to decide then.
    League of Legends US - IGN ForceModified
    Steam - mystryx1

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 72

I wouldn't waste money if you can't use much time in it, you can always roll trial accounts

Quote Originally Posted by Mystryx View Post
    I like to think it's very suitable for casual play, as long as you don't mind paying the monthly sub while you play 2 - 3 hours a day, with the exception of being mid-dungeon you can leave and carry on straight where you left off.

Plenty of classes to level, crafting or fighting/healing and can all be done solo, theres no rush or anything to join dungeons but some will need to be done for quests and ofcourse you won't hit 50 that quickly but you'll slowly get there, only issue I would see is if you be a DPS, some of the dungeons can have a long queue time so getting in a dungeon and then completing it could take most of your time up (2 - 3hours)

I only play it casually, been playing for a long while but don't have more than 2 50's, just log on for a few hours each day, do some leveling on a class I choose then jump off.

Also, there's a free trial so go give it a shot when you got the time and try to decide then.
    I think playing the game casually will make me enjoy the game a little bit more. I am leaning to buy the physical game right away, since there is a price drop for the CE (€38). On the other hand, the GOTY releases on mid-November with in total 90 days game time. Which version should I pick up?

I have always been into the ranged / support classes, so the tank, healer or bard are the classes that I plan to play. The bard interests me the most with his hybrid harp+bow weapon. How is the demand for these three classes, especially the bard?

やめてください! Reputation: 296

You will enjoy the leveling process, I can guarantee that, it's really fun, but playing casually it might not take more than a month to reach max level. Once you reach end game the game will be way more time consuming if you want to actually progress. Dungeons aren't exactly long, but if you are a DPS you are facing long queue times on the Duty Finder (a tool for finding a PUG) unless you join a guild, and guilds, particularly on this game, will also demand more time.

From my experience I had to drop the game after the second month because I simply couldn't put in enough time to feel as if I was movibg forward (work + graduate school). That was a while ago, so things might have changed for the better.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 288

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    You will enjoy the leveling process, I can guarantee that, it's really fun, but playing casually it might not take more than a month to reach max level. Once you reach end game the game will be way more time consuming if you want to actually progress. Dungeons aren't exactly long, but if you are a DPS you are facing long queue times on the Duty Finder (a tool for finding a PUG) unless you join a guild, and guilds, particularly on this game, will also demand more time.

From my experience I had to drop the game after the second month because I simply couldn't put in enough time to feel as if I was movibg forward (work + graduate school). That was a while ago, so things might have changed for the better.
    ffxiv is hands down the most casual game of all time, you can get like i110 from doing **** all, lol.
    stupid game.

Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

So i heard two sides of the story. How is the end-game situation in FFXIV currently; is it all about grinding for better gear?

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Quote Originally Posted by Candyholic View Post
    ffxiv is hands down the most casual game of all time, you can get like i110 from doing **** all, lol.
    stupid game.
    Back when I left trying to organize a succesful Hard Mode Titan was a nightmare; playing 2 hours a day it took forever to advance towards my Relic.

Also, farming WP and AK forever and ever was considered end-game.

I admit, things have probably changed a lot by now.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 447

Ive been having a hard time reaching lvl 20 to get my fat chocobo , so i kinda rage quit the game with 4 months left of my subscription .

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 76

Quote Originally Posted by Seya View Post
    Ive been having a hard time reaching lvl 20 to get my fat chocobo , so i kinda rage quit the game with 4 months left of my subscription .
    lol, fat choco best mount xD

Getting 15 can be a little slow but once you get that just Dungeon > Fates > Dung, unless you're a tank then just dungdungdung since 1sec queues :P
    League of Legends US - IGN ForceModified
    Steam - mystryx1

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast