Elite: Dangerous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Default Elite: Dangerous

Since it features "massive" numbers of online players, I think it fits here.

Anyone played this? I've been thinking of getting it. However, it would cost $75 to get into the beta (not sure if worth), or $50 just to pre-order for when it releases (estimated to be Q4 2014).

Seems like it would be an awesome game to hold me over while I wait for Star Citizen and other games.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 45

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Since it features "massive" numbers of online players, I think it fits here.

Anyone played this? I've been thinking of getting it. However, it would cost $75 to get into the beta (not sure if worth), or $50 just to pre-order for when it releases (estimated to be Q4 2014).

Seems like it would be an awesome game to hold me over while I wait for Star Citizen and other games.
    Is it worth it?
    Well lets see,
    what games have you bought that haven't done much, me..loads of crap, I never ever thought I would of fallen for all this, but I have done so.
    I fell for & into the Steam Trap, greenlight bullshit & all the other crappy names they give to rip off Alpha & beta testers these days...I hate it. The games on Steam I'm forced into because some of them I love, Gaming is a passion, I try not too, but at times I got to use Steam as they hold the monopoly on most games, so I have use it to play some games.
    There have been some real nasties too, games I bought that are in total crap in such a state they are no fun at all. If they are "fun", this lasts five or so minutes. what a friggin loss that was!!

I also became a mug for so called kickstarter, I loath this system too so instead of buying from kickstarter i sort outside markets or petitioned till they did have an outside of kickstarter venue, I was buying some PAY TO TEST lets become a founder games! Yet another thing I said I never do. But I choose what i thought was carefully planned. One of these was Elite Dangerous, I also bought into two more, Star citizen & Shroud of the Avatar.
    I stopped this habit dead after realising what the hell am I doing? I've fallen for something I've preached not to do. How wrong is it, how uncalculated is it! I fell hook line & sinker! I had to stop this. I was paying to Test a game! I spent years testing games as I believed testing back then was helping developers seek errors in the game, not like the today's dumb-ass's constantly paying them so they can work them to test!?!.WTF is this!! People pay to test today! its unstoppable it seems. I thought humans had a brain. all this is so dumb, I fell for it too! so I am just as dumb & gullible, For me, what's done! is done! & I don't mind admitting it.

Well, Star Citizen isn't the game I thought it would be, its seems like a glorified fan feast wanting more money to do stage theatre & acting classes, alongside glorifying itself with lavish offices creating props & models that really don't have any relevance to SPACE or the way a space game should be. The Star Citizen game in its current state is total utter crap of confusion, and has menus which are basically identical to the maps like Eves program, which is another glorification of within itself. SC is just a small pea but with big bucks trying to make you believe its the only thing! SC is the master of deception & glorification. I fell into that one.

Shroud of Avatar seems like its made in the backyard, it poorly coded, imaginative in a few ways only. Its unpolished & not followed through with skill, its slow developing, its a backyard game made with low rank amateur programmers on an blown game engine with a master at the helm.
    It is a pity that Richard Garriott choose yet another path to fall down on, Its like Richard Garriott didn't even want a great game from the start! his choice of the easy root, easy engine, & his team are in laAAah did daaHH land. Shameful really.
    Richard Garriott needed to see ArcheAge, in his way. He would of known that Archeage rocks & is "the" new mmo fantasy winner today! set in & upon his old field & passions. Just what Richard Garriott's got in Shroud of Avatar is a half lemon with a little orange n spice. There's no real go! to get you going, the master, unfortunately, is using inferior programmers with an inferior game engine. I fell into that one too.

Elite Dangerous on the other hand is master piece of engineering, its playable to the tee. You can hit that golf ball right down the fairway & end up in the hole in one hit! Its really is the best achievement in the Space games race that I've ever investing in, The games physics is SPACE, unlike Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous's creator has the passion of Space & its feel, he made Elite! but that's not a good enough reason is it? seeing that all the other "great names" are creating flops, mess pools & exploit measures to gain notoriety. Elite Dangerous on the other hand, head man & his team have made the game out of mere peanuts! A game you can be comfortable in, a game you can play & win, you win by having a game that plays & acts like we were out there in SPACE. Its amazing & it works in every aspect of its creation. All the ships are Space ships not revamped air force planes like in Star Citizen! Elite Dangerous is serious space game.

So after my tell tale...rambling,
    if your questioning whether Elite Dangerous is worth it, I got questions for you.
    Do you like Space games?
    Have bought nothing but crap lately?
    How many games have bought you just sit on?
    Can you handle the pressures of learning under more pressure trying to understand game physics, ship control, docking and un docking?
    Can you handle the consequences of pirates & out right killers who kill you just for sake of it?
    Do you like trading? cargo hauling? set in realism as far as we can create today.
    Do you like the now new added..mining of asteroids?
    Are you a fighter?
    Are you mathematician?
    Do you like freedom of movement around a massive world which really doesn't get taken or explored to extremes yet?
    If you believe you have the spare time & cash, go for it!
    if not, then wait & bide your time by watching videos of the game & keep thinking should I of bought it or should I wait?
    Elite Dangerous is a great game made with little funding, in game you know its made professionally & created on what you would think was a massive BIG Budget. it not, its made with passion & highly skilled programmers who want you to play it.
    Its a SPACE game. its a winner for me. the rest is for you decide. One thing I do know is you can play this game without any remorse.

Happy gaming
    Last edited by DarkLight; 11-01-2014 at 02:37 AM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 286

i personally like SOTA, then again i was never truly a fan of ultima(i blame not learning about it till high school)and i never played UO, as an outsider looking in, i dig what RG is doing.

yes development is slow but you can't snap your fingers and "bam" the game is done, it's technically not even in alpha.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

At current stage, Elite Dangerous is looking a lot better than Star Citizen. It plays better. It feels better. And it seems more fun. By far.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 58

I dont know if I would drop 75$ for a uncomplete game, so SC got my 30$... I'm sorry but I'm 100% sure elite dangerous said they would have 0 ships that are multicrew on launch or beta soooooo I can wait 2016 for SC
    600$ PC (not including HD and Case since using previous one)

Windows 7 (Direct X Awesomeness)
    Intel I5 2400 1355 Socket (210$)
    HD 5770 x2 (got them on sale) (200$)
    8 GB of Ram (60$)
    PCI Sound card 7.1 (40$)
    Motherboard (60$)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadiel View Post
    I dont know if I would drop 75$ for a uncomplete game, so SC got my 30$... I'm sorry but I'm 100% sure elite dangerous said they would have 0 ships that are multicrew on launch or beta soooooo I can wait 2016 for SC
    i'll keep you company till Trials of Ascension is released.

Went ahead and bought the game. Did a few missions in Open Play last night. Currently at 30k.

What should I be doing?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

sandbox your ass off?

Quote Originally Posted by WerewolfX View Post
    sandbox your ass off?
    I mean more of what's the current progression of ships. Right now I'm in the default Sidewinder. What should my next ship be? I'm guessing I'll probably be doing trade for now, as I've made my current stock of 50k credits from doing 15k credit trade runs. I attempted a couple of combat missions, but they required killing of hostiles in a war zone, which mostly consisted of Cobras. And, while I could get their shields down, they were able to turn me into swiss-cheese if I didn't run away (which didn't work out so well after the third attempt). I'm wondering if that's just because of my weak default pulse lasers (should I get some other weapons?) or just because the Sidewinder is crap.

Is there something I can do to make my Sidewinder strong enough to take on the Cobras? I see a lot of combat missions for that hostile area and they pay out 20k each, and because most of them consist of "Kill enemies in hostile zone" it appears they can be stacked for some nice profit.

I'm wondering about getting into mining, but I think I would need a ship with a much bigger cargo hold for that. What's the next step when you're wanting to go from A Sidewinder into some trading/mining?

For now I want to get a couple of competent ships set up - one for trade (or maybe mining) and the other for combat. Once I have those, I'm thinking I'll get into exploration and visit some of the 2,400+ currently available systems.
    -Cingal

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Damnit, you're making me want to buy it too. The good old days of Wing Commander and Privateer is too nostalgic.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast