SWTOR - Thinking of playing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Default SWTOR - Thinking of playing

Way back when, I originally vowed to never play SWTOR simply because I was of the belief that its creation had a hand in the decision to shut down SWG (which, in my opinion, is still the superior game). About a year ago, I played for all of fifteen minutes with a friend. We did a few missions and then promptly returned to DAoC. And now here I am, with enough Star Wars hype to power a large city. All thanks to the various new Star Wars projects being worked on - such as the third Star Wars battlefront game and the new film.

Originally, I was planning just to re-ply KOTOR 1 & 2, but for some reason I can get neither game to work on my computer. It'll probably take a bit of digging to figure it out. So, in the meantime, I've decided that I would like to play SWTOR to pass the time and to help relieve my hype.

The point of this thread is to ask those of you that have played, or are currently playing, Star Wars The Old Republic what you think the game has to offer for a Star Wars fan. What are some things I should try to do, or what should I avoid doing? What features made the game stand out for you? That sort of stuff.

Thank you in advance.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 27

Pick a class that you'd enjoy the most, don't get on the fotm train. You should try to enjoy your classes storyline, it's great if you can get into it. I personally never got into any of the flashpoints, or dungeons if you want to call them that, they might interest you. My favourite feature? I really enjoyed the cover system of the Imperial Sniper, it might sound dumb, being foced to stay in one place, but rolling from cover to cover was good fun for me. I only got to Level 50 and did a bit of PvP, and now there's housing, Galactic starfighter 12v12 PvP. The F2P limitations might scare you, and if they bother you, I'd atleast play it for the story.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 245

SWTOR could've been an amazing game, if anything deserved action-oriented gameplay mechanics, this should've been the game to have it, instead it's stand there while you hit or miss or the mob hits or misses you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

I was most disappointed by the Talent systems. It's so World of Warcraft Vanilla. (1 talent point for 1% more powerful Lightning Damage) <_<" WoW has been revamping the Talent systems so many times over the years. So that each Talent point is so frigging worth it.

With that said, Female Sith Inquisitor is great voice-acting and story-line.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    I was most disappointed by the Talent systems. It's so World of Warcraft Vanilla. (1 talent point for 1% more powerful Lightning Damage) <_<" WoW has been revamping the Talent systems so many times over the years. So that each Talent point is so frigging worth it.

I think they re-worked the talent system with this latest expansion? Or is it that change that you were referring to? I could also be wrong.

Edit:
    Quote from Zelus write-up on the expansion. located here
    The biggest change in the expansion is the revamped skill trees – they’re no longer trees at all. Instead, each class has three disciplines, or rather, combat style paths aimed at filling out builds like maximum damage or maximum healing. Each path is an in-order switchbacked line of buffs and abilities that you put your skill points into – it’s very easy and simple. Each class has up to four new abilities with this discipline system to compliment the raised level cap.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 11-29-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

Lockhart’s are forever Reputation: 16

I've never played it but have heard many people describe it as a single player RPG converted into a MMO. It's heavily story focused with all the dialogue voiced and you never have to interact with another player, they might as well not be there. Levelling is done mostly through the storyline quests with some sidequests.

I'd prefer they just made a KOTOR 3 but if the above sounds like fun to you then get it. You should check out the f2p restrictions first though, people tend not to notice them much in early levels but they get progressively more annoying as you level.

If you loved SWG so much, why not just play the emu? It's very nicely done, you can hardly tell it's an emulator.
    Last edited by hamidinator; 11-30-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hamidinator View Post
    If you loved SWG so much, why not just play the emu? It's very nicely done, you can hardly tell it's an emulator.
    I do play it, from time to time. But I am waiting for certain features and an "official" server release before I invest any significant time into it. Either when they release JTL content, or when they do an "official" release, I will begin to play the game regularly. As it stands, I have a character I've been played off-and-on for months. I just now hit Teri Kasi Novice with him.
    -Cingal

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 17

I'd play SWTOR for the story and not for much else.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 28

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post

The pre-expansion patch with the new talent system happens in a handful of days

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 43

personally i really did enjoy SWTOR, because its rather wellmade. Yes it does feel like vanilla wow from the talent tree but thats not bad is it ?

my main concern with the game nowadays is that you are forced to subscribe or GTFO ... the f2p limitations are among the worst ive seen so far ....
    Kritika Online
    Server: 보야카 - Guild: Guardians

Finster - Shadow Mage | Funken - Mystic Wolf
    Blutig - Crimson Assassin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast