Shores of Hazeron is back

Game Journalist Reputation: 451

Default Shores of Hazeron is back

A while back I made this thread about how Shores of Hazeron closed.

However, now it's back. There are some differences, though. First, and probably the biggest, is the $10 a month subscription fee. This is up in the air at the moment - it was implemented by request of the fans of the game, as the reason SoH was shut down was that the owner/creator could no longer afford/justify hosting the game. Previously, he had invested close to a million dollars of his own money to have professional servers, and at times even had a full staff of employees working on the game.

So, he implemented a subscription fee to pay for server hosting costs. He also put in a donation button to allow those who want to spend more to invest into the game.

Now, the version of the game that is available is "reverted" a bit. As far as I know, the new ship designing system is out the door. The "circular" building designs have been rolled back to the "lego" square designs. I also think he may have limited the potential size of the galaxy. Before, it was unlimited - literally every new empire created equated to a new solar system in the galaxy. There were multiple galaxies, plus a ton of randomly/auto/pre-generated solar systems. I believe I read that there was close to 80,000 (or it may have 800,000) solar systems in the game. That takes a lot of processing power when you think that each planet has its own gravity, suns have gravity, all planets had an "Atmosphere" which played into things. Then there was the thousands upon thousands of unique species randomly generated for each liveable planet. It just got expensive to host, so he (I believe) may have limited it to a certain number this time around.

Also, he wont be actively developing SoH for a few weeks at a minimum, potentially longer. Has has been working on (and releasing) some "smaller" games based on the work he has done on SoH. Such as Gravity Well 6.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 58

aaaaand that 10$ a month sub killed it for me.

I could understand maybe 10$ a month sub to start a nation and keep it up... but to play the game I guess you will only have the die hard fans.
    600$ PC (not including HD and Case since using previous one)

Windows 7 (Direct X Awesomeness)
    Intel I5 2400 1355 Socket (210$)
    HD 5770 x2 (got them on sale) (200$)
    8 GB of Ram (60$)
    PCI Sound card 7.1 (40$)
    Motherboard (60$)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadiel View Post
    aaaaand that 10$ a month sub killed it for me.

I could understand maybe 10$ a month sub to start a nation and keep it up... but to play the game I guess you will only have the die hard fans.
    The die hard fans are the only ones that play the game lol. It's literally one of the hardest games to get into. Most people give up when they can't figure out how to make their first nation flag (required to build your first city).

The trick is to find a tree, then find a random plant node. Then you need to find a weak animal and kill it for its bone so you can make a needle.

OOOOR you can just kill the NPC guide that spawns to help you and turn his corpse into your first flag. That's considered a sort of "right of passage" by the community. It's also hilarious that you can do that. What other game lets you murder the annoying tutorial NPC to bypass the tutorial?

But yeah, I'm pretty sure the community will continue to be about the same size as it was before. The only major difference now will be less alt accounts (which is a good thing). A lot of the community seem to feel they owe Hazeron for the years of completely free service and gameplay.

Edit: Payment setup was clarified. It will be free to download the client to ensure it actually runs for you. I believe the client comes with a single player primitive "survival" game mode and an off-line ship designer. After that you'll need to pay $5 to connect to the server. This will give you the ability to start up a new nation (or you can join an existing one, if you want) and will give you 2 weeks of game time. After that you need to buy game time for $10 per month. There will also be a donation button available.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 02-18-2015 at 02:16 AM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 58

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    The die hard fans are the only ones that play the game lol. It's literally one of the hardest games to get into. Most people give up when they can't figure out how to make their first nation flag (required to build your first city).

The trick is to find a tree, then find a random plant node. Then you need to find a weak animal and kill it for its bone so you can make a needle.

OOOOR you can just kill the NPC guide that spawns to help you and turn his corpse into your first flag. That's considered a sort of "right of passage" by the community. It's also hilarious that you can do that. What other game lets you murder the annoying tutorial NPC to bypass the tutorial?

But yeah, I'm pretty sure the community will continue to be about the same size as it was before. The only major difference now will be less alt accounts (which is a good thing). A lot of the community seem to feel they owe Hazeron for the years of completely free service and gameplay.

Edit: Payment setup was clarified. It will be free to download the client to ensure it actually runs for you. I believe the client comes with a single player primitive "survival" game mode and an off-line ship designer. After that you'll need to pay $5 to connect to the server. This will give you the ability to start up a new nation (or you can join an existing one, if you want) and will give you 2 weeks of game time. After that you need to buy game time for $10 per month. There will also be a donation button available.
    Eh it's just i dont see it working out with a sub, depends on how much the server costs... i know how to play the game but with Empyrion and Star citizen around the corner, i don't know how it will survive
    600$ PC (not including HD and Case since using previous one)

Windows 7 (Direct X Awesomeness)
    Intel I5 2400 1355 Socket (210$)
    HD 5770 x2 (got them on sale) (200$)
    8 GB of Ram (60$)
    PCI Sound card 7.1 (40$)
    Motherboard (60$)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadiel View Post
    Eh it's just i dont see it working out with a sub, depends on how much the server costs... i know how to play the game but with Empyrion and Star citizen around the corner, i don't know how it will survive
    Haven't looked much into Empyrion, I think (I might have and just forgot). Star Citizen isn't anything close to Shores of Hazeron. Two completely game with different gameplay mechanics. I'm willing to bet Empyrion doesn't come close either. I'll check it out and edit this post in a bit.

Edit: Empyrion may give Shores of Hazeron a run for its money. But then again, like I said, Hazeron is already made up of hardcore/cult fans.
    -Cingal