Thread: Why do you like The Witcher?

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 129

Default Why do you like The Witcher?

As someone who has both 1 & 2 and can't really seem to get into it, I want to know what it is that makes this (now) Trilogy so damn popular?

I really want to get into this game because I hear its expansive, beautiful, and chock-full of story. But every time I try to start the series, it just feels very dull and empty. I only ever get like an hour into the game at the most.

I'm mainly curious and figured it would be something nice to talk about.

And no, I cannot comfortably start at 2. I hear 1 is just bad and 2 is what saved the series.

Let me know!

Banned Reputation: 278

I'm going to just say graphics of the second game. I heard nothing about the first game but after the second was released it exploded.
    I say graphics because to me that's the only thing the second game has over the first and the second is almost always considered better. Also base my claim on all the current complaints, they're all about graphics being downgraded. Rarely do I read any talk about gameplay, story, or anything but graphics. They define the Witcher series.

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 83

I played Witcher 1 all the way. I stopped midway in chapter 1 of Witcher 2. In both games, I hated the lack of character development in terms of skills and builds. You have your 5 signs (skills) throughout the entire game. The only other options to improve your character is through passive boosts. You can only play Geralt. Basically, everyone is playing the same build. I also disliked the combat heavily but that aspect is personal preference.

I think the main appeal to the Witcher series is the storytelling and the non-black/white decisions as opposed to other RPGs such Bioware games. The graphics in Witcher 2 is quite amazing as well. Witcher 3 improves on this by being open-world and introducing the hunting/tracking feature on large monsters. When you combine open-world, good storytelling, and fun things to do on the side, that makes a good game to western gamers. Also, as Geralt, you get to **** girls and they're not censored so that's got all the lonely male gamers attention.

I couldn't get into Witcher 2 due to lack of options for character development and it's combat so I doubt I'll be playing Witcher 3 because it's going to be the same. Call me old school but I like non-action combat with not so much open-world. However, I can see why people like the Witcher series a lot. I prefer Dragon Age myself though.