Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions about Snail Games' games

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default A few questions about Snail Games' games

I've been trying to figure a few things out before I spend time on games they have that aren't Age of Wushu and Google and posting to Reddit haven't turned up the answers I was looking for so I'm trying here.

I'm already aware of both games' reputations and I'm still looking into them so I'd appreciate avoiding "this game sucks" comment.
    Okay, so two questions about two different games, both by them.

Here's what I had posted to Reddit:

1. Black Gold Online; is it essentially dead? The last update is from months ago and its forum is practically overrun with spam, the last legitimate post that I found being a few months old. I just can't find any information about it that's current and it's not exactly a small download.

2. Voyage Century Online vs Bounty Bay Online; I know that Snail Games and IGG both have sort of notorious pay-to-win reputations, or at least people have attempted to throw extremely determined pay-to-win arguments at both. I know what I am possibly getting into. I wanted to know which one might have a better population, which is better maintained (I can see several recent events for both but that doesn't tell me a whole lot), and which might feel the least pay-to-win, if they don't have identical cash shops. I've tried Googling this multiple times but all that keeps coming back is multiple threads about how yes, they are the same game.

Thanks in advance.

A Shrubbery Reputation: 62

I got bored on the 3rd sentence. Probably also the reason why you didn't get feedback on reddit.

NEW WORLD ORDER

YOU'VE COME TO TAKE CONTROL

WE ALL SHALL BE FREE!

Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by mattchu View Post
    Black Gold Online; is it essentially dead?
    The last time I played Black Gold Online, there were not many people. Although, when I went to the main town there were about 20 people or so, but most of them are afk because of the rewards that you get for being afk. But another in town, I only saw a handful of people when I am out questing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereal&Milk View Post
    the PowerPuff girls are really hot kindergarteners. :O

Neskaya Quiz: What is Your Classical Ninjutsu Element?

Quote Originally Posted by dracys View Post
    The last time I played Black Gold Online, there were not many people. Although, when I went to the main town there were about 20 people or so, but most of them are afk because of the rewards that you get for being afk. But another in town, I only saw a handful of people when I am out questing.
    Sounds dead as far as F2Ps go and no updates in 4 months so I'll likely skip it. Thanks.

--

Would still appreciate some comparisons of VCO and BBO if possible.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 610

go play dfo

www.dfoneople.com

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Cena View Post
    go play dfo

www.dfoneople.com
    If you're going to completely ignore what I'm asking, the least you could do is recommend something similar to what I'm asking about, which DFO is not.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Uncharted Waters Online publish by OGplanet might be what you are looking for that is similar to VCO. In fact I think VCO is a copy of UWO , since UWO came out around 2005 in Japan and it probably take a year or two to develop. While VCO was release in 2007, also the game new updates have weird stuff like technology in the distant future that can be used to upgrade or as weapon to owns people. VCO is a heavily P2W game which can be said about UWO but if you have a group playing then your journey in UWO might not be too rough.

There is also Pirates of the Burning Sea which has a more action based combat compared to UWO and VCO. You can check a review of the game on youtube from a guy called ChaosD1 who runs a channel called MMO Grinder. I hope this helps in finding a naval action game, also if you like Kung Fu or Martial Arts game then wait for Blade and Soul to be release soon this year. There is another game in development called Moonlight Blade Online which I am sure will take at least 2-5 years to reach the US, Perfect World Inc. also made a game based on Wushu's background called Legend of the Condor Heroes Zero.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 610

Quote Originally Posted by mattchu View Post
    If you're going to completely ignore what I'm asking, the least you could do is recommend something similar to what I'm asking about, which DFO is not.
    um its good not bad is that not enough
    like stop playing bad games

Game Journalist Reputation: 474

Black Gold is fun, but I can't remember a time that it had a decent population. Even during the Open Beta, which is usually when a game has a really high population, it seemed sorta dead. I would say download it and check it out sometime as if it isn't dead, it may be worth playing/

Also, I'd say play Uncharted Waters if you're looking for a good Age of Sail games. I played a while ago and the population appeared to be quite stable and the community was (for the most part) nice.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Black Gold is fun, but I can't remember a time that it had a decent population. Even during the Open Beta, which is usually when a game has a really high population, it seemed sorta dead. I would say download it and check it out sometime as if it isn't dead, it may be worth playing/
    This is what I was afraid of. I might give it a shot but with the focus on PvP at the endgame, a small community can be a bit disconcerting. Can't be THAT small, though, can it? It hasn't met Age of Armor US' fate yet, after all (speaking of AoA, wish I had been able to play it more but I got stuck in a building at like level 2 and gave up. The translation was awful. We're pretty starved for good mech MMOs, though :< ).

As for UWO, I've played it in the past and I really wanted to like it but something about the pace and feel just didn't sit right with me and I wasn't able to shake it. Haven't played VCO/BBO before.

PotBS - LOVED that game in the SOE days and wish like hell I could have afforded a sub then. Played it a bit post-sub. I hear Portalus has put a good number of dents in its hull and without a forum to give me an idea of how it's going, I'm...hesitant. The complete lack of a real community feels sketchy and even the best pServers have forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast