Thread: Aversion to new technology

Hoshigami Reputation: 427

Default Aversion to new technology

I was reading through a thread on Reddit about some of the fads that had died out and one in particular, Google Glass, had me thinking about why exactly that happened. The actual technology behind GG is a solid, and a concept people have often dreamed about having ever since seeing it discussed in theory or portrayed in media. However, a lot of criticisms arose from such as, price, the recording of activities in public, and even the overall usefulness of them in the first place. It doesn't just apply to GG either, a number of other tech changes came around that went under the same scrutiny and while some are now generally accepted, others aren't.

It seems like we have this big gap between our overall desire for better technology and the implementation/utilization of it when it arrives. Before I give out examples of this, I want to hear your opinions on this part first.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.

Super Moderator Reputation: 208

People want all these convenience things, but they don't want to pay thousands of dollars for them. If all these new innovative technologies weren't obscenely expensive, you'd for sure see more people buying and using them.

Hoshigami Reputation: 427

Quote Originally Posted by Arri View Post
    People want all these convenience things, but they don't want to pay thousands of dollars for them. If all these new innovative technologies weren't obscenely expensive, you'd for sure see more people buying and using them.
    Is that really the case though?

I remember a time when people said they wouldn't spend over a 100 dollars for a phone and yet have seen numerous people (even some I know) stand in line for the newest iPhone that ran what 500-600$, even while having a previously working version and have been for years after the initial hate. And the ironic thing is, many of them used to say, "what would I need a phone that can do ___ for when all I do is make calls and send an occasional text?". Even my mother was like that for years and had to damn near beg her to try out a touch screen interface.

Hell, remember when touch screen interfaces were considered nothing but stupid gimmicks and fads that would die out by the year 20XX? And yet the majority of us now use some kind of device with a touch screen and anxiously await the next model. And they still DO make "dumb" phones, but nobody really buys them anymore, even the people who say they only use a phone a little. We've gone from "why would I ever need a camera in my phone" to tripods for smartphones.

I don't think it has to do with price at all, I think it has to do with people feeling a need or use for the technology itself.

Major commercial grade innovations are always hated because people are simply used to using what they've always used. For example, common complaint about Windows 8 was how the interface was designed more so for a touch screen interface, which caused a number of users to switch to previous interface setups. While true, why is that such an issue? Touch screen monitors have existed for years now and are about the same in price as the flatbacks that are more standard nowadays. Windows 8 would have worked perfectly with them. And people upgrade to better monitors all the time, many of them Win 8 users, but the majority, including myself, have never once really considered buying a touch screen monitor. Why?

Is that really so odd when every single day we use a miniature pc in our pockets via touch?
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.