Thread: Ragnarok Online VS Ragnarok Online 2 which is better?

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Ragnarok Online VS Ragnarok Online 2 which is better?

In these catergories:
    - World Progression (how each player contributes to the in game world)
    - Character customization
    - World Size and type (instanced or open)

Thanks

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 19

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 41

is this a joke? If not...RO1 > RO2 RO2 = shi t
    http://www.onrpg.com/boards/avatars/fenix40k.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1268643051

"That's why I love OnRPG, we can spend two pages
    about arguing about swimming."

Hoshigami Reputation: 482

RO was great all around in it's time is still pretty unique today. It's music, gameplay, diverse character builds, card system along with a number of other features, are still pretty good even by today's standards. The wide variety of maps to visit and train on, as well as their individual size, made that game really feel like huge world. As far as character customization goes, there's not a whole lot of different options for your character's basic appearance (just hairstyle and color), as well as paperdoll effects for hat, face and main and off hand weapons.

RO2: The Gate of the World was ok but it's combat was iffy and mobs felt kinda spaced out too far. The character models, though looking younger than RO's, actually had the most customization options (one of the best features about the game) and was pretty solid. The music, while not as good as RO's, is pretty decent. I believe the world was fairly open, but I didn't play that game all that much to really know for sure. Stats and skills were pretty straightforward however so it didn't have much depth.

RO2: Legend of the Second was just your average 3D mmorpg streamlined in every way with character growth and questing, with a Ragnarok Online theme. It reused the previous RO2's music so that was pretty much the only good thing about it, other than it's challenge system which made you perform certain tasks for rewards. It had a fairly decent amount of options for character appearance though.

Tree of Savior, the actual spiritual successor to Ragnarok Online, is looking to be pretty solid in it's visuals (Considering the timegap they are both on par with each other, though by today's standards ToS is far superior) and music is also excellent (mostly done by the same folks). I don't have all the details to really compare this game as of yet since I haven't played, but it's looking to have a solid number of character builds through the class system. I heard the world is linear up until a point however, then it becomes pretty free as to where you can go, but that may not be accurate/subject to change.

From a basic character creation standpoint however, it does look like this game actually has the least amount of options. It still doesn't take away from the quality of the design, and more options may open up down the line.

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 102

I agree Kashis.