Thread: Crafting, Fishing, Mining, Etc..

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 11

Default Crafting, Fishing, Mining, Etc..

Most MMORPG's don't have solid side-Skill Crafts, such as Crafting/Fishing/Mining/Cooking/Farming into them. I always feel disappointed when games that are released don't have them in it. I mean, the only games that really incorporate these in Runescape & a little of World of Warcraft. Even though these Crafts aren't part of a main game, they help keep players addicted to the game, because this boosts the economy, encourages trade, makes room for more unique quests, and makes the players waste more playing time fishing, etc.. Which makes it more fun.

If only they had an online Harvest Moon, where everyone was in one world and had their own farm.

Who else likes Crafts such as these?
    Last edited by Chronotrigga; 10-09-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 15

I had harvestmoon 64 on PC with an emulator, it was quite fun. Planting crops, give them water, and especially the harvest = $$$. They wanted to make a harvestmoononline.. But it's canceled.. Too bad . (Made by fans not a real company i thought.)

That would be cool. Harvestmoononline (Although the images and name etc, are probably copyrighted, so something diff). I mean, even though some of these things people don't really care for, but in the end, it really teaches young kids about trading and economy, and owning their own business, which will help them in real life.

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 57

I'm not very interested in crafting and mining and stuff like that cause it usually involves lots of time for cruddy results in most games. what i do like are things like nostale's miniland and pet system. Other additions to games that i like would be things like CABAL's bikes (they should make a race pvp and quest) and other little bonus features like that.

Okunen Guild Leader. Click banner to learn more!

Current main game: Blade & Soul West (upon release)

Banned Reputation: 10

I feel the same way Chrono that's why I play Runescape again every few months for a month.

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

How do you mine for fish???

lol, sorry couldnt resist that little inside joke. Anyway i feel the same way. The two branches of mmorpgs are trying to compete with eachother and both are loosing what makes them unique. Right now the two branches, p2p and f2p(b2p is a bastard son of these two), are trying to compete against not only each other but themselves also. p2p doesnt quite understand why f2p games can exist and be successfull. f2p games try to lure people in with flashy graphics, nice skills, and then try to trap them in a grind so they stay there.

so what happens? p2p tries to adapt and take on some of the f2p grind aspects while ditching some of the customization/crafting since those are rarely found in a f2p game.

f2p looses itself in an every-loovin'-grindfest and tries to bait players into staying by promising more flashy skills, new quests, and even more grinding.

why does anyone play a p2p game? it used to be there were only p2p games. They used to have to compete with other p2p games by adding content and substance to draw players in. However now, their main competition are free games rather than a fully packed p2p game. They strip out anything that might not be what the majority is looking for, and make grinding even more substantial to mimic the f2p genre. What this does usually is cause a bland, unsignifficant, and worthless game that no one but a few people will play.

One of the only reasons f2p games are played is because they're free. It isn't about innovation or new features but rather dragging out a players time in the game with grind while dangling in front of them a free time waster.

I want crafting, I want mining, and I want lotsa quests. EPIC quests. I want unique armor to seperate myself from others. I want a game that doesnt make me question weather or not I ever want to log in again because if I do, I have to spend another 10+ hours to get 1 level while having nothing else to do. This isnt what I fell in love with 12 years ago with EveryQuest and Asheron's Call. Nothing, I mean nothing, has been anywhere close to the old games. I think people that acctually knew what to make a game like are all dead or hiding.
    Last edited by Lamy; 10-09-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathend View Post
    I feel the same way Chrono that's why I play Runescape again every few months for a month.
    like the new look

i hate games that are totally about the game with nothing on the side, there must be additions, additions that are cool that is. the kind of farming and fishing stuff could get complicated if programmed poorly so i find those to be not so good ideas.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 10

Well.... Theres always Mabinogi

Quote Originally Posted by ihou View Post
    Well.... Theres always Mabinogi
    *doesn't know what it is*

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

yeah im lost on that too....
    Ive always wanted to play an mmo were crafting acually mattered and it got you cool armor and bonuses and such, in most games its just tacked on and what you make is much worse and a step below all the other drops and quest armor. Ah well, who knows there might be a true crafting and questing game someday.

"I'll take away the cause, but not the symptom."

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 10

Crafting and such is alright. It's just that it uses up the points in some games. =p

Pirate King Online has lots of sub-side skills. You will need to do quests though to get the EXP in order to gain 1 skill point to get sub-side skills. I think there is fishing, mining, and some other stuff.

Warioís Bad Accent Reputation: 12

Goonzu is a good bet...

(>_<)○------(^o^)○
    (; ・_・)―――――――――C<―_-)
    (゚ー゚)(。_。)ウンウン

Banned Reputation: 19

i think there is one, its in devolopment but i cant remember the site >.<

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

I love a well done crafting system... Too bad they dont really exist.

A tale in the desert is pretty much all crafting though.. I havent played it.

EQ2 had a system that was a little more involved than a vending machine so that was a little better than normal.

Ryzom had a nice crafting system. Stats/level of item were determined on which resources you used etc. That is always nice.

Banned Reputation: 10

ya i know all MMOS are pure grind runescape is fun the MMO makers think making players grind when they reach half way through lv 1 makes the game fun(EXTREME GRIND im talking about 0.05 % here some games have this)

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 37

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1023 View Post
    ya i know all MMOS are pure grind runescape is fun the MMO makers think making players grind when they reach half way through lv 1 makes the game fun(EXTREME GRIND im talking about 0.05 % here some games have this)
    like silkroad woot (except sometimes its .01 woot!!!!)

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 18

is goonzu any good becuase it has the whole crafting, mining, housebuilding stuff in it.

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 43

Ryzom actually has a nice mining and crafting sytem, along with its ever changing gameplay. The problem is that you actually have to search for the spots, prospect the mining spot out of the ground, and then mine it at least once to find out what your mining. (well over a hundred different things like plants and minerals can be mined) Not to mention that the resources mined in each area change as the seasons change (seasons change according to the season of the place of the actual server)

Ryzom copies Runescape in that it actually doesn't make you choose a class, just a faction of evolved humans. You get to level up your fighting, magic, harvesting, and crafting skills individually (you could be a leve 75 in all of those features).

Not to mention the ai is excellently coded to mimic real wildlife. (aka herbavores are passive while carnivores may be aggressive, smaller animals try to grawl at you to scar you away, and some animals will actually heard up [if that is the nature of their species] and travel WITH the heard)

Oh, did I mention that "tutorial island" is free with no time limits of exp restraints. You are alwed to reach level 75 without paying a cent if you wanted to, just don't leave the island.
    Now, an official Game Dev student.
    Visit my FPSBanana profile and Studio to see what I've been working on recently.
    [img]http://card.*********/psn/profile/nc/y/Ncyphe/card3.png[/img]
    [[Inuyasha: Episode Infinity]]
    Naraku: --Evil laughter-- Oops! Killed your girlfriend again, Inuyasha!
    Inuyasha: Bullshit, you know how many cliffs Kikyo's fallen off? She'll be fine. Hell, I pushed her off one last week.
    EnB emulator, resurecting the dead

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by CMN View Post
    I love a well done crafting system... Too bad they dont really exist.

EQ2 had a system that was a little more involved than a vending machine so that was a little better than normal.
    Let me expand on the crafting system of EQ2, because in the begging, it was awesome.

In the world of Norrath, there are "nodes", and there are 4 different types of nodes.
    Rocks, consist of soft metal, and hard metal. A rare soft metal was used to make stronger spells, skills, and the such. A rare hard metal, was used to make stronger weapons and armour, and a few rare house items.

Felled trees. There was only one tree, and the rare for the tree was used to make stronger bows shields, ect, wooden items, and especially rare furniture. For your house.

Fishes. You could fish, but it was just for food/drink. Food = Faster HP Recov., drink = faster MP recov.

Shrubs. Consisted of Fungi, and Shrubs.. Each one is food item, and they produced various effects.

Now, where it got a little tricky in the begging. From Teir 1, [0-10, to Tier 2, [10-20], you could make all the items you needed to craft, by your self. Well, after a while, I think the DoF expansion pack, they decided that any tier should be able to craft any sub-component.

Here's an example.. Let's say you wanted to make 1 dagger. In order to make that dagger, you'd need 1 iron ore, and to melt that iron ore, you'd need some temper, made by an alchemist. Then you'd make many iron ore's, into iron ore bars. To make the iron ore bars into whatever subcomponents, you'd have to have an alchemist make you WORT's... It's an acronym for Wash/Oil/Resin/Temper, the 4 basic things used for crafting. Now, let's say you needed a hilt for your dagger. Well, you'd have to ring up a tailor, to get the hilt made, and so on and so forth.

This system made the crafting extremely interlinked in EQ2, and if you were far ahead, you could only get so far, because you'd have to wait for someone else of the other artisan class, to catch up. But with DoF, they elimated that, by creating books for everyone, to make all the sub-components, but still, if you needed a rare item made, you'd have to find the rare book [hard], or go to the person that specialized in that item.

I personally, thought that the EQ2 crafting system was very unique. While crafting, you'd get these 'events', to which you had a counter to... Everyone screws up, some how, so for a weaponsmith they'd get something like too hot a furnace, and then you'd have to click the skill that corresponded to that, and it'd cancel that effect, and give you a big bonus. Also, these skills had various effects. They could either, boost durability, and decrease progess. Decrease durability, and boost progess, or 6% more chance of failing that 'turn', for more progress.

Hmm seems I've skipped durability/progess.. As you are crafting the item, it is done in 'ticks', I guess. Every tick does either, +50 progress, -0 durability. -50 durability +0 progress. Or +100 progess, -0 durability, or the dreaded -100durability +0 progess. If you used the skills mentioned above you obtain like, +60 progress, and -10 durability, thus making the crafting go on faster. The item was set in 4 tiers. Crude/Shaped/Normal/Pristine. If the durability bar in the 'Pristine' line emptied, the best you could get is normal, unless you spammed your increase durability skills, to raise it back up. There are more skills, but I don't feel like rembering them all.

As someone who got to the max level of 60 artisan, [at the time], I know that the crafting system is pretty well put togethor. Before DoF, crafting was slow and unberable, but after DoF, they made it cake. Alot of people botted it, but w/e. I didn't need to, because somehow I enjoyed it, from the fighting/questing.

Cheers.

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Edit- well looks like some one beat me to the EQ2 post so I'll just edit this post.
    Last edited by Revolver; 10-11-2006 at 09:51 PM.
    Revolver's PokePet

Lucario the level 56 Lucario!

Banned Reputation: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Chronotrigga View Post
    Most MMORPG's don't have solid side-Skill Crafts, such as Crafting/Fishing/Mining/Cooking/Farming into them. I always feel disappointed when games that are released don't have them in it. I mean, the only games that really incorporate these in Runescape & a little of World of Warcraft. Even though these Crafts aren't part of a main game, they help keep players addicted to the game, because this boosts the economy, encourages trade, makes room for more unique quests, and makes the players waste more playing time fishing, etc.. Which makes it more fun.

If only they had an online Harvest Moon, where everyone was in one world and had their own farm.

Who else likes Crafts such as these?
    Most Pay To Play games have side-skill crafts you know...

Yes Syetactic, I am well aware. However, most of them do not dwell into a solid side-craft, they mostly go into the quests and fighting..

Also on Mabigoni, yes, you are right. . However, I have not tried it yet due to the monthly pay that you must do, or else it's practically worthless trying to play anyway (besides wow)

The only real 'free' game that has all of these combined is essentially runescape. Yet most of the onrpg community hates runescape which is funny. It's just like saying "I hate country", when in fact, a lot of people listen to country o_o; It's one of those hip things to do to reject.
    Last edited by Chronotrigga; 10-11-2006 at 10:24 PM.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 10

Well, there is goonzu, which is heavily depended on fighting, skills, and crafting as well. There is a government system as well if you want to freakin join a guild or make your own and wage war against other guilds as well.

I am trying to promote my idea so that some developer will make this game that is based on fighting, politics, and crafting as well. Project Empire I called it, if anyone will make it for me and other people who are tired of hack and slash games all the freakin time.
    The lord of darkness have returned.

Vampire Huntings?
    http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47074989

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Planeshift that is a game still in development has many skills that they plan to add and they have some right now. It would be consider beta/aphil stage for it mostly undeploed, but anyone can sing up to play. They plan to have a lot of different skills from crafting and others. There also trying to develop in the futher econcim and goverment that other layed out in formate on there website.

On this page they give there mission statement http://www.planeshift.it/about.html. They want to make a world that fells real to the players. Where you feel like your that actule person. The developers want to make a game more focus on pople who enjoy takeing a role or roleplaying. Also it is in 3d and they are constily working on delpovement. They do this in there free time so do not think that the game will even be close to be being finshed in the next fee months.

So far they have an ok (combat is the most completed skill) combat, mining, repair shilds and wopens, blackshimthing is one of the newst skills, and migic which is mostly uncompleted (most skills can have bugs, but that is to be expected because it is still in beta). There are no maps of any kind in the game yet, but they plan on adding a skill in the futer that will let you create maps. There are no aout maps thoug and no futer plans for them. There are many areas to expoler in the game.

To start go to the site and look around. If your interested download and register. Then look at some of the guides such as the quick start guide. Which are helpful for there are no Tortorage in the game, for it is no where near to final prodcut. It will take years before they get close to down.

There code is open sorce so it is useable by others to make there own games with it, but the images and other such things are not. They are under the copy right of the orgation that is creating the game Atomic Blue.

I know that there is going to be a harvest Moon online in the beging of development by the company that makes there other harvest moon games. I think they may have just boght the rights for the use as there name for the domain name on the web. Also I have seen on many websites caiming that its is being developed. The only why to find out if this where ture would be to do research on it.