Crafting, Fishing, Mining, Etc..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 11

Default Crafting, Fishing, Mining, Etc..

Most MMORPG's don't have solid side-Skill Crafts, such as Crafting/Fishing/Mining/Cooking/Farming into them. I always feel disappointed when games that are released don't have them in it. I mean, the only games that really incorporate these in Runescape & a little of World of Warcraft. Even though these Crafts aren't part of a main game, they help keep players addicted to the game, because this boosts the economy, encourages trade, makes room for more unique quests, and makes the players waste more playing time fishing, etc.. Which makes it more fun.

If only they had an online Harvest Moon, where everyone was in one world and had their own farm.

Who else likes Crafts such as these?
    Last edited by Chronotrigga; 10-09-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 15

I had harvestmoon 64 on PC with an emulator, it was quite fun. Planting crops, give them water, and especially the harvest = $$$. They wanted to make a harvestmoononline.. But it's canceled.. Too bad . (Made by fans not a real company i thought.)

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 11

That would be cool. Harvestmoononline (Although the images and name etc, are probably copyrighted, so something diff). I mean, even though some of these things people don't really care for, but in the end, it really teaches young kids about trading and economy, and owning their own business, which will help them in real life.

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 57

I'm not very interested in crafting and mining and stuff like that cause it usually involves lots of time for cruddy results in most games. what i do like are things like nostale's miniland and pet system. Other additions to games that i like would be things like CABAL's bikes (they should make a race pvp and quest) and other little bonus features like that.

Slogan created by Kai and Me

Banned Reputation: 10

I feel the same way Chrono that's why I play Runescape again every few months for a month.

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

How do you mine for fish???

lol, sorry couldnt resist that little inside joke. Anyway i feel the same way. The two branches of mmorpgs are trying to compete with eachother and both are loosing what makes them unique. Right now the two branches, p2p and f2p(b2p is a bastard son of these two), are trying to compete against not only each other but themselves also. p2p doesnt quite understand why f2p games can exist and be successfull. f2p games try to lure people in with flashy graphics, nice skills, and then try to trap them in a grind so they stay there.

so what happens? p2p tries to adapt and take on some of the f2p grind aspects while ditching some of the customization/crafting since those are rarely found in a f2p game.

f2p looses itself in an every-loovin'-grindfest and tries to bait players into staying by promising more flashy skills, new quests, and even more grinding.

why does anyone play a p2p game? it used to be there were only p2p games. They used to have to compete with other p2p games by adding content and substance to draw players in. However now, their main competition are free games rather than a fully packed p2p game. They strip out anything that might not be what the majority is looking for, and make grinding even more substantial to mimic the f2p genre. What this does usually is cause a bland, unsignifficant, and worthless game that no one but a few people will play.

One of the only reasons f2p games are played is because they're free. It isn't about innovation or new features but rather dragging out a players time in the game with grind while dangling in front of them a free time waster.

I want crafting, I want mining, and I want lotsa quests. EPIC quests. I want unique armor to seperate myself from others. I want a game that doesnt make me question weather or not I ever want to log in again because if I do, I have to spend another 10+ hours to get 1 level while having nothing else to do. This isnt what I fell in love with 12 years ago with EveryQuest and Asheron's Call. Nothing, I mean nothing, has been anywhere close to the old games. I think people that acctually knew what to make a game like are all dead or hiding.
    Last edited by Lamy; 10-09-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathend View Post
    I feel the same way Chrono that's why I play Runescape again every few months for a month.
    like the new look

i hate games that are totally about the game with nothing on the side, there must be additions, additions that are cool that is. the kind of farming and fishing stuff could get complicated if programmed poorly so i find those to be not so good ideas.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 10

Well.... Theres always Mabinogi

Quote Originally Posted by ihou View Post
    Well.... Theres always Mabinogi
    *doesn't know what it is*

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

yeah im lost on that too....
    Ive always wanted to play an mmo were crafting acually mattered and it got you cool armor and bonuses and such, in most games its just tacked on and what you make is much worse and a step below all the other drops and quest armor. Ah well, who knows there might be a true crafting and questing game someday.

"I'll take away the cause, but not the symptom."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast