Gaming Concept: The benefits of well fitting shoes.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Default Gaming Concept: The benefits of well fitting shoes.

In most games where you can equip your character with shoes they only define the amount of armor you get and sometimes an element you gain a resistance to.

June, 4, 2006
    www.onrpg.com/boards/
    Game Development
    a-d
    Topic: Gaming Concept: The benefits of well fitting shoes.

Gaming Aspect:
    Inspired by, who knows. Probably my pair of badly fitting church shoes.

In most games where you can equip your character with shoes they only define the amount of armor you get and sometimes an element you gain a resistance to.

Why not have the side effects of well and badly fitted shoes into a game?
    Some of the benefits of well fitting shoes.

Allow us to walk over damaging terrain.
    Give us a better grip on the ground. (Usually.)
    Allow us to perform moves that would normally damage our feet.

For game designers some of the benefits of ill fitting shoes.

Slow you down.
    Increase your clumsiness.
    Can hurt you during unusual movements and over time.

Each shoe type would have different armor levels, different duraabilty different movement speeds, agility modifiers, elemental resistance, special abilities, and degree of personal fitting.
    And after that’s done there’s still taking it to the enchanters to enhance or add new effects to them.

Now that I think about it this style can be used on all articles of clothing.
    Think about gloves.

How much extra space on the CD would such an addition make?
    Hah, Could you sell a giants boots?
    If well made shoes are better for you would tiny shoemaker fairies make shoes that give a higher bonus or would transmutation wizard created shoes give a higher bonus?

4:14 A.M.
    a-d Journal File
    Page: 82,83
    If anything is possible,

Then everything is impossible,
    Therefore, everything is possible.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

It depends what setting it is. In a modern setting this might make sense, but in a medieval setting... maybe. In medieval ages, people actually barely wore shoes, and when they did they were oversized so that they could grow into them.

-Bryan-

Staff Admin Reputation: 29

Ahh I never thought of your last point which I actually like. The fact that crafting would be much more versatile. A new game I believe does something like this where each race is a different size and can only wear armor close to their size. Of course this is much like having race specific armor but more that it is size specific. (A fairy is very small and can only wear small armor but can go in some places in a large group to open a door for every one else is one of the features) It also has a troll which is very big and cannot fit in these spots but wear large armor. Any ways my issue with this is many people don't like to talk about feet. I mean it might seem weird but how often do you hear the talk of feet in real life? Secondly how would one decide what size feet they have? Would they decide a size from 5-13 US or 20-40 EU. (Sorry don't know official sizes) Or would each race and class have a specific size foot which would in the end just end up being class and race specific armor. Or lastly would it be randomly done. Then we have to think about animation as a size. If we were to give feet sizes. Would it show? The different between a size 5,6,7,8 etc. Or would it all stay the same. Changing each size would result in much more graphics displayed and possible lag. If we kept them the same it would be very weird to see some one with a size 5 foot having the same look as a size 14. The last option would be going in the middle, for sizes 5-8 you have one size, 8.5-10.5 another size, and for 11-13 a larger size. This would result in 3 different looks and making most people happy.
    Of course we cannot forget that each race is going to have a different range of feet size as well. I mean a troll having a size 5 foot would be very weird.
    So when creating a character does the foot size change in range depending on the persons other choices? IE the race, the height and build, then finally they make choose the foot size. As so one can be a human 5'10" 150lbs and have a size 13 shoes but cannot have a size 6 shoe. (but if you where 4'2' 90 lbs you can have a size 6 shoe but not a size 13 shoe)
    Now that is my only real problems which I just posted above. I think the idea is great but how it would be implemented is the only issue that would need to be addressed.

Moderator since Aug 2004. I am a guy.
    Email me at lothia@gmail.com
    FFXI Tsukisa: 60pld/30War (retired)
    The OnRPG War

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

June, 4, 2006
    www.onrpg.com/boards/
    Game Development
    a-d

Yes I do want criticism.

Pointing out flaws or ways the idea can be improved is very useful.

(MisterPoppet)”It depends what setting it is. In a modern setting this might make sense, but in a medieval setting... maybe.”
    I was thinking of a medieval setting, but present and future settings would be in an era where shoes are more common and peoples feet are more sensitive since they wouldn’t have the calluses those in the past had to build up.
    Do you think it would be difficult to make it so those you kill in such games could then be stripped of all their equipment?
    They did that in “BioWare’s R.P.G. game “Baldur’s Gate.”

(MisterPoppet)”In medieval ages, people actually barely wore shoes, and when they did they were oversized so that they could grow into them.”
    That would make shoes less common and reduce the bonuses shoes give since they would have calluses upon their feet.
    I haven’t studied what people back then wore so I’m going on storybooks, movies, and games.
    From those sources the knights, nobility, and the merchants wore shoes, but most games seem to work with you starting out with a character whose rank is commoner so that doesn’t really count for anything…

Despite that, it just makes shoes rare and well fitting ones rarer.

So long as the games creator isn’t trying to be historically accurate I think they wouldn’t mind using their creative license to alter their representation of the past.
    Would you?

(Lothia)”A new game I believe does something like this where each race is a different size and can only wear armor close to their size. Of course this is much like having race specific armor but more that it is size specific. (A fairy is very small and can only wear small armor but can go in some places in a large group to open a door for every one else is one of the features)”
    I haven’t heard of the game, but it gives me an idea about:
    Permanent size difference races in games. (Tiny/Gigantic.)
    Stones that enter your soul to allow you to have access to the permanent size races.
    Tests to gain these stones.
    Being able to earn stones for an enemy races/species form.
    I’ll post them in new threads later.

(Lothia)”Any ways my issue with this is many people don't like to talk about feet. I mean it might seem weird but how often do you hear the talk of feet in real life?”
    My first thought was that people don’t talk about feet because they practically don’t remember they’re there.
    But then I thought about times when I thought about my own feet and the many times feet have been used in shows that put them in a negative light and now I agree with you.
    People more often than not seem to prefer not to think about their feet.
    Perhaps that’s why this wasn’t though up before.

If this is the case then would looking for things people don’t like to think about would help in finding areas of game play that could be enhanced?
    Like sickness?
    Idea:
    Having actual epidemics occasionally sweep across the MMORPG’s.

(Lothia)”Secondly how would one decide what size feet they have?”
    I was thinking a random number generator between two extremes.

(Lothia)”Or would each race and class have a specific size foot which would in the end just end up being class and race specific armor.”
    I hadn’t thought of the different shoe sizes obviously needed for the different races, thanks.
    But would classes need different shoe sizes as well?
    Different shoe types or styles for different classes I understand, but why size?

(Lothia)”Then we have to think about animation as a size. If we were to give feet sizes. Would it show?”
    I was just thinking of having the feet require a certain sized shoe without affecting the animation at all.
    How much do you think it would enhance the enjoyment of personalizing your character?
    How about a display screen on the equipment display where when you move your mouse over your characters equipment slot for the feet the screen shows an animation of the feet in shoes, if you are wearing shoes, and your bare feet if your not?
    Either of these might keep the lag down though your solution might manage that problem while allowing for others to view the personalization done on the character.

(Lothia)”If we kept them the same it would be very weird to see some one with a size 5 foot having the same look as a size 14.”
    You mean a short (Insert race of choice here.) versus a tall (Insert race of choice here.)?

On second thought, human.
    Phrases don’t have feet.

Ahh. The joy of bad jokes.

(Lothia)”So when creating a character does the foot size change in range depending on the persons other choices? IE the race, the height and build, then finally they make choose the foot size.”
    Another thing I hadn’t thought of.
    Yes, ideally all of those would affect the range from which you could pick your characters feet size.

And just thinking of all the feet the computer would have to keep track of is causing me to worry a little bit.

First there are always three feet per sub-group, then there are the races, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Halfling, and Human.

After that would be the height which be the final definer of the two size extremes you can pick between.
    Lets say three height classifications which change the range for your feet. (Short, average, and tall.)

And maybe the appearance, muscled, average, and skeletal.

I think that comes to 18 sets of feet for the choice of race, 54 sets of feet after adding in the height effect, and 162 sets of feet if the appearance effect is allowed.
    And that’s without allowing the characters to become skinny, average, or obese.
    Or at least without allowing them to affect the feet’s appearance.

Then I think about all the different shoes that would be used, boots, sandals, stealth stockings, armored boots, and so on and I have a great deal more respect for a game animators patience.

I hope they have some sort of skeleton, automatic flesh layer, and texturing program to help them at their work.

(Lothia)”Now that is my only real problems which I just posted above. I think the idea is great but how it would be implemented is the only issue that would need to be addressed.”
    I see what you mean.
    I definitely looks like it would be a lot of continuously active variables.

It would probably be best to avoid the animation aspect at first and just use a number that tells the foot size with the benefits of a good fitting and the penalties of a bad one.

Questions:
    Do you think it would be difficult to make it so those you kill in such games could then be stripped of all their equipment?
    How historically accurate do you think games should be?
    If this is the case then would looking for things people don’t like to think about would help in finding areas of game play that could be enhanced?
    How much do you think the observable difference in foot size would enhance the enjoyment of personalizing your character?
    How about a display screen on the equipment display where when you move your mouse over your characters equipment slot for the feet the screen shows an animation of the feet in shoes, if you are wearing shoes, and your bare feet if your not?
    You mean the having the foots size range affected by whether the character is a short human or a tall human?

5:00 P.M.
    a-d Journal File
    Page: 84,85,86,87
    Last edited by a-d; 06-06-2006 at 04:23 AM.
    If anything is possible,

Then everything is impossible,
    Therefore, everything is possible.

Staff Admin Reputation: 29

Stones that enter your soul to allow you to have access to the permanent size races. Tests to gain these stones. Being able to earn stones for an enemy races/species form.It is a good idea but my question is would animation change? I know I seem to be asking this quite a bit, but in graphics control having large amounts of customization takes large amounts of sources.

Like sickness?
    Idea:
    Having actual epidemics occasionally sweep across the MMORPG’s.

It would work out well, but also if you where to do this you could also add something to gloves. The size would not be an issue but you could make stress on items (shooting a bow many times can wear down on the palm or middle of the fingers) having a specific glove that helps guard against this could be another thing to incorporate.

You asked would classes need specific shoe sizes. Now in a normal community they wouldn't but if you where trying to create something new such as a more extremist country it would. Take for example an ant colony, one can easily see what each ant does by its physical appearance. A worker ant is usually smaller than a fighter ant, so if this where the case in game then the classes would matter. But in our modern RPG's it seems that this is not a case.
    Different shoe types or styles for different classes I understand, but why size? I believe you already figured this out from reading further into my post.

(Lothia)”Then we have to think about animation as a size. If we were to give feet sizes. Would it show?”
    How much do you think it would enhance the enjoyment of personalizing your character? As you wrote after my next section, it would not enhance the enjoyment of the game as much as it would balance it out.

It seems like a nice feature if sizable feet where not able to be done.

And maybe the appearance, muscled, average, and skeletal.

In my opinion this would not really need to affect the foot size. If one is skinny they could still have the same foot size as a muscled person. It could perhaps chance the size of the foot a bit, which in result might change the ending animation, but would not need to add new animations for these. (Only body animations)

Well you are lucky because when you wrote "Or at least without allowing them to affect the feet’s appearance." you must remember that there is only one real type of shoe, normal. And about 5% of the time you have W and S (Wide and slim) but you would not have to do anything for that. You have a total of 6 races. Now we have the extremes that would each require 3 different shoe types each, the Dwarf and Gnome. Now a Halfling is quite small last time I checked so its smallest size could be the same as the Gnomes largest size. Also the human, Half elf and Elf’s largest size could be the dwarf’s smallest size. This would take out 4 shoe sizes already. Then we can actually do this again in the sizes. So if you are worried about animation you can always balance it by making some of them the same. The only thing you would have to do is when making classes, it would have to be a choice of each ability. Such that you would not want to call them the same shoe size (just to make it seem better; just use the same animation) having the choice to change the name, wearability (depending on race and class) and so forth.

I believe that the artist creating all the different skins would indeed have skeletons. They usually have one for each specific build and try and make the same thing for all of them.

It would probably be best to avoid the animation aspect at first and just use a number that tells the foot size with the benefits of a good fitting and the penalties of a bad one.
    I agree completely but it would be an interesting aspect for one to get into.

Questions:
    I do not think it would be difficult but when they are stripped I have a few questions. First is it that you take all of their armor? or just they appear to be pretty much cloth less? If it was the second one, you could just make it so when one dies their avatar turns back into the default one. If the second one, you could perhaps give items a "loot" variable that when dead an item might be loot able. And in that loot variable (it would probably be a class) you would include an action that if yes to loot able it would be unequipped and thus the animation if done correctly should take it off.

How historically accurate do you think games should be?
    Well how historically accurate is history itself? I mean most of history is not 100% true and the whole stories are never actually known. If you are making a historical game you must decide why you are making it. If it is for the role playing or just because it is an interesting story line to go off of then I would try and stay as close to the truth on a base point. Example: If you where doing the Crusades, you could have magic and dragons but if you are telling the story in the game still have the same sides win each crusade, still have the same amount of sides to a war and so on. If you are doing this for partially educational purposes then stay as close to the true history as possible, while still making it fun.

Absolutely, many people hate the aspect of waiting for a healer to finish resting for mana recovery so many games have given multiple classes healing abilities to speed the process. Also such uncommon topics as highean (smelling good or bad) and eye sight could change many gaming aspects one has yet to think of.
    Explained above
    How much do you think the observable difference in foot size would enhance the enjoyment of personalizing your character? Partially explained above. I believe that quite simply if you want to add shoes into the skins then do that and just fit them for each one. How ever as we get more in-depth one should start to balance all areas including feet, but is not needed if base models look good at all sizes.
    I thought this would be a good idea.
    You mean the having the foots size range affected by whether the character is a short human or a tall human?
    Yes, if we have a very short person, they would not have the same foot size as a very tall person. How ever games usually defeat this by just giving the characters all average sized feet.

Moderator since Aug 2004. I am a guy.
    Email me at lothia@gmail.com
    FFXI Tsukisa: 60pld/30War (retired)
    The OnRPG War