Gaming Concept: Effect of language on magical styles and spells.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Default Gaming Concept: Effect of language on magical styles and spells.

The effects of a spell casters original language should have an effect on how they treat, use, and research their magic.

June, 4, 2006
    www.onrpg.com/boards/
    Game Development
    a-d
    Topic: Gaming Concept: Effect of language on magical styles and spells.

The effect of language on magical styles and spells.
    Perhaps Voodoo versus fireball would be a good example.

The English language focuses on describing an object before actually naming the object being described.

Other languages name the object in question then describe it.

The effects of a spell casters original language should have an effect on how they treat, use, and research their magic.

A spell caster who uses the English language would set up the descriptive parts of the spell first then actually launch the spell.
    Set up a very stable spell or magical platform.

A spell caster who uses a language that names the target of the spell then describe its effects would be able to launch extremely accurate spells that are nearly unblock able or/and be able to intricately weave a spell deeply into the target.

There are many different language types that could probably be used to describe a new school, version, or division of magic.

This could also be used to separate a magicians areas of strength not only into what gender and race they are, but what country they come from.

While potentially interesting would it really have much of a point?
    Would it just be a way to limit spells a freelancing beginner magician would normally have access to?
    Are the assumptions about how different languages would shape a magicians spells themselves in any way correct?
    If the in-game applications are few is the effect of languages on spells is true would asking people of different countries or those who know multiple languages how the spells might be changed by the alternate languages give a number of new spells, spell effects, and schools of magic?

Topic: Gaming Concept: Effect of language on magical styles and spells.
    5:00 P.M.
    a-d Journal File
    Page: 84
    Last edited by a-d; 06-04-2006 at 11:06 PM.
    If anything is possible,

Then everything is impossible,
    Therefore, everything is possible.

Staff Admin Reputation: 29

Interesting concept, but would seem a bit redundant in a game in the long run. It would give new types of spells in a way. If you think about magic in the most logical of since (other then it not existing) it would seem all people would be able to use all magic in one way or another. Given they have the correct materials/skill/ anything. If it is something in the blood they would just get the blood a different way. By this way, it would not function as new magic but as a different way to cast it. In the Japanese language the tone of voice is at the very end, such as if you like or dislike something, it is the last thing you say. So that could be set as very accurate or a confusing spell never knowing which way it is going to go. I understand where you are coming from but I believe it just would spread out the spells like 3 different spider webs. If you had three languages, one would be each spider web. Each having the same exact spells, but are done differently. I hope my response has helped and just remember to write you want criticism since you posted earlier saying you where not getting any. Also are you using this as a journal? Since the way you are posting this with the head note and foot note.

Moderator since Aug 2004. I am a guy.
    Email me at lothia@gmail.com
    FFXI Tsukisa: 60pld/30War (retired)
    The OnRPG War