New games

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default New games

is it just me, or, recently, has the gaming industry been focusing more on graphics recently then game play. for example, the recen FF XII. the game was okay, but i was expect a more intricate storyline. if a game has good gameplay, but bad graphics, its "good game but the grahics could be better". a good graphic game, but bad gameplay makes me think about suicide, really. a person i know said that the gamibng industry will collapse in five years because only the graphics are improving nothing else... i think he is wrong. Why? games are an art, an expression of the developer, the crystalization of many years good work. so, as long as the person making the game never stops improving... never will the games...

Staff Admin Reputation: 29

Are you talking about Final Fantasy XI? Well I am unsure where you where but it has had the most detailed story line I have ever played, often cut sceens would happen and you would learn more pieces to the story. As of right now graphics are on the rise, they have been since about 97. People want graphics so good they look real, and we are getting closer and closer to that.

Moderator since Aug 2004. I am a guy.
    Email me at lothia@gmail.com
    FFXI Tsukisa: 60pld/30War (retired)
    The OnRPG War

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

I have noticed alot of mmorpgs are focusing on really really detailed graphics. But everything else is just like every other game just another name and different graphics, thats pretty annoying graphics to me are only 5-10% of what I look for in a game. Though, alot of people do care more about graphics than anything else..

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

how true take ff7 for example possibly the best game ever bad graphics also people need better graphics cards too so not as many people can play the games

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default ok then

ok then.. what do you look for in a game?
    I dunno about you, but i like a good story, easy control, but high adaptibility

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by jeft
    ok then.. what do you look for in a game?
    I dunno about you, but i like a good story, easy control, but high adaptibility
    that and length something that makes me feel like skipping school to play that all my mates will play HARD!!!!

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

I couldnt agree more. I am only BARELY able to play Oblivion since my computer only has the minimum specs and a crap video card, but the gameplay could have easily have been done with Morrowind-level graphics. Every weapon and piece of armor is pockmarked with detail that I really cant enjoy because the game is such a resource hog that I have to set all my video options to minimal just to get the game to run, so whats the use? What good are all of those fancy graphics if people have to turn them off just to play the game?

Its like developers are afraid to use the graphic levels from last year. Every game seems to have to have better graphics than previous titles. Maybe its the media influence, who knows. I mean, how many times have you read articles about the game journalists that 'drool' over the cool graphics, yet have nothing near that good to say about the gameplay, regardless of how good it is? And unfortunately, developers have to play to the journalists whims, probably thanks to their big money publishers cracking the whip.

What it all boils down to is a flashy product thats really kinda dull inside. Its a shame.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

I sort of disagree. The whole reason why the game industry keeps on spewing out games all with the same general gameplay is because that's what the majority of the players want.

There's plenty of games that go off-the-wall and do something cool and unique. Where are they, you ask? Well, most of them are sitting in your local gamestore's discount bin, slowing collecting dust. Innovative gameplay is cool, but when its competing in a market where most players go after the stuff they are already familiar with, it's tough to fight that.

However, most games do invent some interesting gameplay that I think is overlooked by a lot of people. I agree that graphics are a big focus, but they should be; that's no reason NOT to take advantage of the hardware that most people have these days.

Way more work goes into games these days than did back in the early 90's and 80's. People claim that those games were superior in terms of gameplay, but they were so incredibly primitive compared to the staggering complexity of today's games -- that take often 5-10 times more staff to do!

The wheel can only be invented once. It was sure great for the early games when the game industry was young, but there's only so many fundamental gameplay concepts that can be done. A nice analogy might be, say, the vehicle industry. We have cars, trucks, vans, and the like, but we haven't seen any more fundamental types of vehicles since their original creation; we've just been tweaking and modifying what we already have. It's the exact same idea in the game industry.

I for one am extremely impressed with the level of detail and complexity that the game industry has achieved; gameplay included.
    Gauntlets of Recursion (+5) - My game development journal.

Staff Admin Reputation: 29

Quote Originally Posted by HopeDagger
    There's plenty of games that go off-the-wall and do something cool and unique. Where are they, you ask? Well, most of them are sitting in your local gamestore's discount bin, slowing collecting dust. Innovative gameplay is cool, but when its competing in a market where most players go after the stuff they are already familiar with, it's tough to fight that.
    You are right, but one that made it big was Eve Online. But most games that wanted to be something new never made it off the ground that far.

Way more work goes into games these days than did back in the early 90's and 80's. People claim that those games were superior in terms of gameplay, but they were so incredibly primitive compared to the staggering complexity of today's games -- that take often 5-10 times more staff to do!
    I think people just liked those games so much that they say the game play is better. Often since the game cannot depend on its "amazing" graphics it had to depend on its gameplay and story lines. I mean lets face it playing a game with @#%& as the graphics really didn't impress people all that much. (Well it did but comparativly)

The wheel can only be invented once. It was sure great for the early games when the game industry was young, but there's only so many fundamental gameplay concepts that can be done. A nice analogy might be, say, the vehicle industry. We have cars, trucks, vans, and the like, but we haven't seen any more fundamental types of vehicles since their original creation; we've just been tweaking and modifying what we already have. It's the exact same idea in the game industry.
    Well really HD, the Caravan (van) came out in the early 90's (or late 80's) and it was the first of its type. So we do see new inovations.
    I think the problem is that we really cannot think outside the box any more. It would be great to be able to think of something for 4D other than time but with our minds we cannot. It would be great to be able to come up with more than 4 different classes, where in reality it is only 2. (Range and Close combat) (Then from there we have, close combat, Range, Magic, and pets. (excluding workskills)) I think seeing something innovative that stays in traditional game play would be great. I mean lets face it, you are right, people don't want huge changes but would love small more detailed changes. I think Gods and Heros will be a good game.

I for one am extremely impressed with the level of detail and complexity that the game industry has achieved; gameplay included. [/QUOTE]

Moderator since Aug 2004. I am a guy.
    Email me at lothia@gmail.com
    FFXI Tsukisa: 60pld/30War (retired)
    The OnRPG War