The Catalyst Rumors Thread!

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 57

Default The Catalyst Rumors Thread!

Can't have a game with an upgrade system without having upgrading rumors right? Well here's the dileo with Lunia's upgrading. I knew a few rumors and have created some of my own, so here they are:

Assume these success ratings for all theories:
    +1 - 100%
    +2 - 90%
    +3 - 80%
    +4 - 70%
    +5 - 60%
    +6 - 50%
    +7 - 40%
    +8 - 30%
    +9 - 20%
    +10? - 10%? (Never seen a +10 item, but if it exists, assume 10% chance success).

Theory 1 - 1 catalyst = 1% more success. So in order to gaurantee +2 will work, add 10, for +3, add 20, for +4, add 30..etc etc. I'm not sure how accurate this one is, but it seems that whenever people use 20 catalysts for all upgrades, it grants them pretty good ratings.

Theory 2 - catalysts give random % increase. Whether it be 0% or 100% more, catalysts will give you random success increases, and maybe even success DECREASES. That means 1 catalyst can have the same effect as 20.

Theory 3 - the "holy" catalyst number. For each upgrade, there is a proper number of catalysts that ensure maximum success, a number that is guaranteed to fail, but not change the stats, a number that will guarantee failure and go down 1, and a number that will guarantee failure and destroying the item. And it doesn't have to be a specific number either. Let me give you an example.

I've seen some people use 20 - 30 catalysts on something as small as +5 to +6, and it fails AND breaks. I use 6 catalysts from +5 to +6 and it succeeds the first time around. Another item i use 3 catalysts from +5 to +6 and it fails and goes down 1. I get back to +5 and use 4 catalysts, fail, and stay at the same number. Then i get greedy, use 10 catalysts, and it drops down to +4 again. I get back to +5 royally pissed, and use 15 catalysts. It fails, breaks, and i'm just like "to hell with it!" (This is a real example btw).

This is my theory, for it has given me the most consistant results. Here's another example with LIGHT FORTIFICATION.

I use 10 catalysts on one item, succeeds.
    I use 5 catalysts on another item, also succeeds.
    I use 14 catalysts on a third item, FAILS.
    I see someone in the market area talking about how 20+ catalysts on a light fortification failed 3 times in a row.
    Thus, holy number is 5-10? Maybe, maybe not.

Theory 4 - The lucky catalyst. It is possible to place anywhere between 1 and 50 catalysts in the catalyst slot at a time. This theory states that you only need 1 good catalyst in there, and the rest are junk catalysts. Placing in more catalysts give you a better chance of placing in the lucky catalyst that gets you the guaranteed +, which is why higher amounts of catalysts used give higher chances of success.

So that's all the theories I've come across. Post your own theories and comments please

Slogan created by Kai and Me

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

lol... where u getting this info

+9 is pretty rare. Its like +10%.

and +10 is like +5%

catyalist only increase ur chances by like .5% each or 1%

They do help if u use like 50 of em. to get like 10% more

Also Shinning jewel is like 30% chance.

The korean site has the info u need.

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 10

DUO!!!! Ive missed ya buddy xD, glad to see you'll be playin Lunia when it comes out, and as for the topic, my theory is pretty much the same as your theory 4

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 26

that's weird, cause for everything i did the first +3 worked fine, then i needed catalyst for +4

[Mine and Duo's Slogan]:

[Currently Playing]:

LoL - Tickle Me Harry
    http://tinyurl.com/HKCYouTube
    http://harrykayan.deviantart.com/

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 57

Quote Originally Posted by Vi3tElite View Post
    DUO!!!! Ive missed ya buddy xD, glad to see you'll be playin Lunia when it comes out, and as for the topic, my theory is pretty much the same as your theory 4
    lol, seems like i'm loved

Quote Originally Posted by iKai View Post
    that's weird, cause for everything i did the first +3 worked fine, then i needed catalyst for +4
    I've failed +1 to +2 before just to let you know, lol. I've even went from +3 to +2 sometimes.

Slogan created by Kai and Me

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 0

I suppose some of them could be true...but the truth is, while the catalysts increase the chance of succeeding, it also increases the chance of having the equipment breaking. Also, all the +10 equips are wiped out of the system, since it was created due to bugs. And to me, my method sticks to using no catalysts at all, and I made many +9 equips this way too =]

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

hmmm... catalysts. i dunno, but +1 and +2 are ridiculously easy to get to, but i think 6 catalysts somehow always gets it for me. im not sure if its just me. i suppose the "too many=easier breaking" is rite, but i think the koreans know best cuz they had the game more
    im neji and i pwn you with my perverted Byakugan!!!
    Which character are you test by naruto-kun.com!
    i dunno how to frikin upload my pic! hhahahha
    playin lunia!!!
    i like potatoes i cannot lie!!!
    who wants some cereal!!!
    i havent watched the simpson's movie!
    i feel funny!!!
    who wants a cookie!!!
    I wish i could fly!!!
    join my guild in lunia "LunaIsTheBoss"!!!

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Exclamation

Screw all of your theries ive go to +8 without any catalysts with a item taht wanted 11 forst for 1 try... and it went down by 1 and i did it again and it worked ALL WITHOUT CATALYSTS and it went back to +8 and i just left it there......THEN MY FRIEND WHILE I WAS GONE TO RESTROOM MADE +6...............

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

Ive never broken anything before +6 and what I do is upgrade it to +3, use 1 Catalyst for +4, 3 for +5 and then 6 to +6. Ive gotten my Staff to +8 and I used 10 Catalsysts to +7 and 20 to +8.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

1st, in Lunia there is only max +9, +10 not existed
    2nd, u can only put max 20 cata.......