Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Games Work With Vista

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmjow1982 View Post
    Here is a quick one go right-click on your game icon on your desktop then go to properties and then go to compatibility and tick on the box that said "Run this program as an administrator" Tab.

Ummmmmm I run windows as an admin account as I am not stupid enough to **** anything up LOL it has nothing to do with that. However others may find this advice applicable.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I'm using vista on my computer, though I really don't think it's a good choice, there are actually many problems with compatability with lots of programs, hate it. I will reinstall and back my window me next time.

Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 10

Yes, the longer you have it, the more you start to hate it because of it's cons. When I first got it, I was so excited because it had alot of new features. But then, when I realized that all I got was a bunch of things I will never use and a bunch of stuff that I can't do like i did on XP, well, it just sucks.

I'm betting they are going to offer downgrades to vista users, then stop making vista systems. Happening in Hong Kong already(or was it Korea?)

Quote Originally Posted by alphamage View Post
    Yes, the longer you have it, the more you start to hate it because of it's cons. When I first got it, I was so excited because it had alot of new features. But then, when I realized that all I got was a bunch of things I will never use and a bunch of stuff that I can't do like i did on XP, well, it just sucks.

I'm betting they are going to offer downgrades to vista users, then stop making vista systems. Happening in Hong Kong already(or was it Korea?)
    Its not happening anywhere Vista is here and here to stay... Sorry upgrade your systems then vista will run better then Xp would ever even try to trust me runs perfect on my system 10x faster then xp no problems with any games or programs so all your comments mean one thing..... You have old non Vista certified hardware upgrade and it will be better

Pellet Eater Reputation: 10

Where did you hear this? Can we get a source?

Its not happening anywhere Vista is here and here to stay... Sorry upgrade your systems then vista will run better then Xp would ever even try to trust me runs perfect on my system 10x faster then xp no problems with any games or programs so all your comments mean one thing..... You have old non Vista certified hardware upgrade and it will be better
    Sorry to say this but, your sounding a bit like a Vista fanboy. He didn't say anything about Vista being slower than XP. And about vista being 10X quicker than XP on your PC sounds like a load of crap but could somehow be true but I'm not about to believe it.

Requirements for XP (Professional):

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required
    128 megabytes (M of RAM or higher recommended

Requirements for Vista (Home Basic):

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    512 MB of system memory

Basically Vista needs more than double the CPU and RAM power than XP does. Im not saying your a lier but I dont believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by muzicguru View Post
    Sorry to say this but, your sounding a bit like a Vista fanboy. He didn't say anything about Vista being slower than XP. And about vista being 10X quicker than XP on your PC sounds like a load of crap but could somehow be true but I'm not about to believe it.

Requirements for XP (Professional):

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required
    128 megabytes (M of RAM or higher recommended

Requirements for Vista (Home Basic):

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    512 MB of system memory

Basically Vista needs more than double the CPU and RAM power than XP does. Im not saying your a lier but I dont believe it.
    Read into how Vista works... hell I hated vista on my old system XP always ran better... Now my new system runs it faster then XP ever ran for me.... I build custom PCs, Repair them Etc... I am an IT spe******t

Intel Core 2 Duo 6420 1066 FSB 4 MB L2 Cache
    Kingston 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM Dual Channel Crossfire
    Ati 2600 HD Pro 512 MB GDDR2 1400 MHz
    Creative SB Live! 5.1
    Hitachi 160 GB SATA 3 GB/s HDD
    Western Digital 230 GB IDE HDD
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x86

Those are my specs hell XP doesn't even support 64 that well let alone dual cores Vista supports them way more and has more optimizations and is built upon the trusted 2003 Server Os base

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917

NOTE: Since these reviews vista has vastly improved even more specially in gaming with the proper card and newest drivers

Hope this helps clear things up its a noticeable change in speed if you give it the power it needs

Quote Originally Posted by alphamage View Post
    I'm getting rather tired of the Vista bashers. Vista never did anything to you, if you don't have Vista, then don't act like it is inferior in any way. Vista may have it's downs but it has alot of ups too.
    Here here, I have vista on my laptop and I love it. Everybody else seems to despise it Yeah it may have problems with some games, but all the games I've installed so far ahve been fine and run perfectly well!

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 10

Hmm....
    this is what I did to make all the games work for me in Vista, I didn't do that compatibility thing.

1) First off, vista doesn't have the dx9.0c files, so search google and download 'Directx Web Setup', will install the latest dx9.0c

2) Download Visual C++ runtime (a lot of games require this, including, R6Vega, bioshock/tons of games i have no interest in listing :P ).

3) if that doesn't work try that compatibility thing.

Shinethrough theDarkness, and your fate willshineas well.
    In the absence ofLight, Darkness prevails.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Wrz Pirate
    Exactly what I need, M'zoft does not want my win, he said is a pirate and does not recognize him as his son.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 10

Any solutions for slow game performance?

Quote Originally Posted by ihou View Post
    Any solutions for slow game performance?
    Upgrade If you don't give Vista the power it needs it won't give you the performance you need...... Like any relationship You get what you give

Upgrade what? I already got directx 9.0c and read from a site that tells me to type in dxdiag in run to upgrade my graphics driver but nothing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ihou View Post
    Upgrade what? I already got directx 9.0c and read from a site that tells me to type in dxdiag in run to upgrade my graphics driver but nothing happens.
    Upgrade hardware

Yeah, I'm planning to do that eventually.

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

thanks so much, this is extremely helpful!
    Flyff:
    Blade lv 65

Hmmm, I've tried that in most games if it doesn't start normally. But I still get a lot of problems. There was once I was so mad I wanted to smash my computer. >

Exclamation pleade help

im a noob to vista going to buy it in januari but i want to now if "guildwars"
    "sword of the new world"and "mu" is compatibel

First of all don't install Direct X 9.0c since it is built into Direct X 10 just like every other version of Direct X. If you have games that say that you don't have Direct X 9.0c they are coded wrong and are not detecting correctly.

After doing what the op says and still having problems do the below things.

go to the control panel>Users and disable User Account Control. (that should fix a lot of problems)

If you run a game and the screen is bigger then the monitor and things are off the screen. Right-click on the icon for the game and go to properties and go to the compatibility tab and disable display scaling. (if that doesn't work disable desktop composition also)

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 10
    Dancing on some random flamming Banana's somewere on the street.

Anyone could help me with DMC3 special edition on Vista, there is a Vista patch for it i installed it, when i start the game all is cool then in the first stage when i attack the screen freeze but i can hear the music and game keep playing behind....Any clue?

Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 10

Ok, i'm just gonna slip this in for good measure.

Here at OnRPG, we download and install ALOT of games.

However, vista has the most unbearable unpacking system for installation wizards.

That being said, you need to change some things so it doesn't take you 3 hours to open up the installation wizard for Maplestory.

1) Make sure you set administrative properties to all of your unzipping executables such as WinRAR, 7zip, etc.

2) Setting compatible mode with Windows XP Service pack 2 on installation wizards helps ALOT. It can cut extraction time in 9/10ths.

3) Never run executables from zipped directories, always extract them to a location in your computer and set properties before continuing installation

That should be it to speed up installation on games. Helped me out in the past , hopefully it'll help you all out too! ^ ~

Default C&C Renegade

My poor friend bought the whole set of C&C and his last system was running XP, EVERY game work flawlessly of course. His system dies and they get him a 'better' one with Vista that we had to double everything on just to make it run. He went to run his games and none worked the way they should even after trying the compatibility 'fix'.

So when his wife goes to visit her family in a few weeks, I am going over to his place and we are fixing his computer and I mean by putting XP back on...

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Wookard View Post
    My poor friend bought the whole set of C&C and his last system was running XP, EVERY game work flawlessly of course. His system dies and they get him a 'better' one with Vista that we had to double everything on just to make it run. He went to run his games and none worked the way they should even after trying the compatibility 'fix'.

So when his wife goes to visit her family in a few weeks, I am going over to his place and we are fixing his computer and I mean by putting XP back on...

I played CNC3 on vista..
    maybe you just didnt know how to configure it to make it work.

1.Install DX9 (use DXWEBSETUP.exe)
    2. Install C++ Visual Runtime 2005
    3. Install updates and hotfixes.
    4. Install latest drivers.

Shinethrough theDarkness, and your fate willshineas well.
    In the absence ofLight, Darkness prevails.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Wrz Pirate
    Exactly what I need, M'zoft does not want my win, he said is a pirate and does not recognize him as his son.

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

i haven't use the Vista ever.....maybe try...
    ㄚǒμ ǎǐé τhé ъēs+ よové ǐn mч lǐfé!

welcome to my blog

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 140

If all of those things wont work for you try this:

DEP= Data Execution Prevention

1. Right Click My Computer
    2. Properties
    3. Left side under Tasks, click Advanced System Settings
    4. Under Performance (Advanced Tab) click Settings
    5. Click Data Execution Prevention tab
    6. Mark "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"
    7. Add the launcher and patcher .exe of the games you have proplems running.
    8. Apply
    9. Restart (I have not needed to do this for Vista, but while running XP, you may need to)

Hope this helps some of you Vista users.

Some vital things you need to know if your a gamer using Vista.
    1. Set all settings to performance for the OS (you may not think it will help, but it does improve gaming performance by a lot)
    2. Administrator
    3. Compatibility (XP and so on)
    4. DEP

(Brought you by mister Cyber , not by me)
    I'm only one voice in a million, but you ain't taking that from me!

I wanna do this for Maplestory, but when I go to do it, the it won't let me check run as administrator.

Why is this?

(Im the only account on my laptop..so I should automatically be admin, right?)

Edit: Its in grey..its stuck in run in separate memory space.

D:

Hmm perhaps you guys can help me. Im not very PC savvy folks. But im learning. I recently purchased a new pc actually it was a gift =). In all honesty id have to say mabey 30% of all games out there i have tried work on vista. Mabey im doing something wrong. I realize vista hasnet been out as long as xp but im getting frustrated with the lack of games ican play. Many games like pirates port royal and just bout all the star wars games dont seem to work on vista. this is the specs of my pc...

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU

6420 @2.13 ghrz

ram: 4 gb

vista home premium 32 bit

Video: Nividia Geforce 8800 GTS (driver) 7.15.11.75

sound card : Creative SB X-FI

I have had alot of issues with vista and games. But i have found out if i take enough time i can figure most of them out. And be honest i dont really have te time or money to down grade to XP, and further more i dont think i should have too. So im trying to stick it out with vista.

I have been told that my 8800 video card is dx10 supported in which most games atm do not support dx10 but dx9 and i need to find a good driver that is compatible with my 8800 card. As i said before im not very pc orietned but im just going by what others say but if any of you have any ideas on how to help me please help.

And yes i amd running in administrator mode and have the compatibility box checked that was the first thing i figured out =)

thanks shane