Gunz comparison Please!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 10

Default Gunz comparison Please!

Hi! Can someone compare this to Gunz? I've read a bit about it and it sounds a bit like Gunz, but with robots anyway is it along the same lines as gunz, is it better etc and yeah can you outline if there are any mmorpg elements in there?

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 0

The only similarities I see with gunz are that there are both melee and ranged weapons, you can "dash", and the gameplay is different from that of most other t/fps's out there.

I find it a bit better than gunz, personally. Well, there are levels and ranks that are obtainable but it seems that equipment is available to all levels so long as you have enough money (you can also color your mech with spray paint). The missions are much more entertaining and it has a base capture mode.

I'd say just try it out for yourself as my opinions are probably not the same as yours.

Rock Man Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Zefer View Post
    The only similarities I see with gunz are that there are both melee and ranged weapons, you can "dash", and the gameplay is different from that of most other t/fps's out there.

I find it a bit better than gunz, personally. Well, there are levels and ranks that are obtainable but it seems that equipment is available to all levels so long as you have enough money (you can also color your mech with spray paint). The missions are much more entertaining and it has a base capture mode.

I'd say just try it out for yourself as my opinions are probably not the same as yours.
    Everything he said plus, exteel has skills you can buy to bring some "style" to you gameplay making the game more interesting to enjoy.
    my random quotes:Attitude controls all!
    The moon shines on those who seek it..

Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 34

I'm downloading now and then ready to kick some ass

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 0

totally amazing graphics and gameplay i say it better than gunz

Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 16

Exteel has better graphics, and is much more newbie friendly.

It's also run by a better company, NCsoft.

I don't see why everyone thinks that Exteel and GunZ are alike. Even the most experienced Exteel players would get pwned in GunZ...

But beginners can do all right in Exteel. I went 10/5 in my first game, and got third.
    Become Legendary

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 17

its nothing like gunz there is only 1 cheap move in the game is where you jump around like a idiot managing to dodge every bullet from people who can't aim while being able to keep a straight shot. other then that you can expect that exteel doesn't have cheap moves like the "korean moves" in gunz which i like cause it just takes the fun out of it if you ask me =/

Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 106

To be honest this game really isn't anything at all like Gunz so I'm not sure why people try to compare the two. Actually, the combat reminds me a lot of Rakion where if you hit you tend to do a good amount of damage, but missing results in not being able to attack for a while (or even worse for guns like the cannons where you are immobile after shooting as well) so if you miss there is a good chance you will get hit.

However, if you want to compare it to Gunz, I'll try to to the best of my abilities (note that I have been playing Gunz far longer and honestly prefer it a lot more so sorry in advance if I am unintentionally biased at any point). Like Gunz, you health system is fairly unrealistic in that it takes quite a few hits from pretty much any weapon to kill you. Unlike Gunz, the movement is somewhat stilted (not worse than in most normal shooters and it is still very fast, but much less free-ranging than in Gunz). One good thing is it is pretty customizable with quite a few pieces of armor and weapons to mix and match so there's quite a few more than in Gunz (although the amount of available weapons of each type seem about the same). Actual weapon setup is something of a mix between Gunz and Halo. Like in Gunz, you pick what weapons you want to bring to the match beforehand and none spawn within the maps themselves. However, like Halo you have 2 fully customizable weapon "sets" so you can combine any two one handed weapons in the game together (unlike in Gunz where the only dual weapons are the pre-set dual revolvers and dual pistols) or carry a single two handed weapon in one of the sets.

The actual weapons available are pistol (spray), rifle (longer range than pistol but fairly slow), shotgun (never tried it but I think it's fairly obvious what it's like), rectifier (heal gun), sword/spear for melee, shields, cannon (longest range, but two handed and you get knocked back and stunned upon using it), and rocket (never used this, but I believe it's like a stronger, less accurate cannon, not sure though). There are a few large maps, but most of the maps tend to be in the small-medium range (think Mansion in Gunz if it only had the main floor for the medium maps). This fact you will either love or hate depending upon your playstyle. If you generally go for shotguns and spray weapons in games you will love free-for-all deathmatch since most people seem to choose arena (a very small, circular single room) or random (which will likely land you in a smallish map anyway). Unfortunately, if you are like me and prefer long-range fighting you will be disappointed as it is nearly impossible to use the sniper-type weapon (cannon) in small maps due to the delay it takes to get it set up and in-between shots (rifle is a possibility but it is honestly a very very weak weapon and just barely longer range than pistol); since the game marks down every time you leave a game early, this means you will most likely be limited entirelyto team-based gameplay (or the rare free-for-all large maps) if you want to play solely long range.

Finally, I want to address two issues that will probably make you either love or hate the game. First, the 'reload' system. Unlike in Gunz, all weapons have infinite ammo. However, the catch is whenever you fire a weaon a gauge fills up. This gauge slowly decreases, but if it reaches the top it turns red and slowly starts to drain (if you have two one-handed weapons there is a gauge for each individual weapon). While the gauge is red, you can not attack with that weapon and each weapon (literally every weapon, not just every weapon-type) fills up the gauge and recovers from overheating at a different speed; this system applies to melee weapons and shields as well. So the answer to this seems simply; switch to your second set of weapons. Unfortunately, Exsteel has an Energy system which is basically as follows: You have energy (this is increased quite a bit by better parts, but for a while at least this can be annoying) which drains fairly fast whenever you boost (run) or jump higher than the normal amount via a jet-powered booster (this drains it far far faster than running), switching weapons also requires energy so if you are low on energy and need to switch weapons, you can't. This presents an interesting dilema for fights; if you switch weapons mid-fight you will be able to fight again, but you will be a ridiculously easy target because you can't move fast, likewise, if you don't switch weapons you can dodge but need to wait until your weapons are useable again (the time it takes seems to be about two or three times the reload time of most weapons in Gunz). However, an even worse problem with the cooldown system is the actual way you switch weapons. Games like Gunz and Halo that allow more than one weapon to be carried allow you to switch weapons instantly with the tap of a button, but in Exsteel if you switch weapon sets there is a little animation that lasts about 1 second between switching weapons, leaving you with no way of attacking (or using a shield) while switching weapons. I'm sure a decent amount of people find this system to be ingeniously strategic, but I think it is just unnecessarily crippling.

The second issue that I want to discuss is the auto-target system, which has already been the subject of a few debates. This system is the main reason why people clain Exsteel to be "newby friendly". Basically, every weapon in the game (except melee weapons, shields and rocket launchers) has an auto-target system where as long as you put the targetting reticle in the general area of someone, it will loock onto them and garauntee a hit while it's locked on. So, this means weapons like pistols (think SMG's in Gunz) are very popular in Exsteel because they don't spray: they rapidly shoot a bunch of bullets that will be garaunteed to hit if locked on. The point of dodging in the game is to get rid of the lock on, not to dodge the bullets themselves (I believe it is impossible to dodge a bullet once it is fired unless you get behind a wall very quickly). I am not sure if this next comment applies to all lock-on weapons, but I know for cannon at least you are garaunteed to miss if you are not locked on. So, unlike in Gunz where you generally try to predict your opponent's movements in advance and aim at where they will soon be, in Exsteel you aim at where they actally are and if you try to aim at where they are going you will miss since it is not locked on (this does not apply to melee weapons and I think rockets). Long range weapons, like the cannon, also have a minimum attack range so if someone manages to get near you you have no way of attacking normally (there are melee skills you can buy later on, but without them it's impossible and with the reload time by the time you get out of sniper mode and try switching, you most likely die). Also, to the best of my knowledge it is impossible to snipe someone from across the map like with revolvers in Gunz because weapons, including the cannon, have a maximum lock-on range (remember, you can not hit without lock on) so while for the long range weapons you can still shoot people from fairly far away, there is a range limit.

In conclusion, Exteel is not too much like Gunz and not for everyone. While it is true that the most common form of attack seems to be close-range lke in Gunz, unike Gunz the most common weapon seems to be the pistol (the spray weapon), less accuracy and a bit more reflexes are required, the game maps usually lean towards small (whereas in Gunz most maps are fairly large with a few small maps. Also for whatever reason in both games the max people in a game is 16), combat is overall slower and therefore relies more upon strategy than upon instinct and pure skill, and there is somewhat more customization in Exsteel (I say somewhat because while there are more types of weapons and more armor overall, there seems to be only about 3-4 of each type of weapon as opposed to, in most cases, 5+ of each weapon type). There also seems to be less players (most likely because it is still new), but less lag as well in Exteel.

Wand of !!!!!!11!!! Power Reputation: 10

Somewhere far far away in Photoshop world...

Quote Originally Posted by Zefer View Post

What?

Play GunZ for 100 hours, and get into sword fights, then say that.

GunZ is totally different from Exteel, and hell, it's different from any other games right now. Sure it is comparable with other FPS in the shooting department. But no games can compare with it in terms of melee fighting.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Seeric View Post
    To be honest this game really isn't anything at all like Gunz so I'm not sure why people try to compare the two. Actually, the combat reminds me a lot of Rakion where if you hit you tend to do a good amount of damage, but missing results in not being able to attack for a while (or even worse for guns like the cannons where you are immobile after shooting as well) so if you miss there is a good chance you will get hit.

However, if you want to compare it to Gunz, I'll try to to the best of my abilities (note that I have been playing Gunz far longer and honestly prefer it a lot more so sorry in advance if I am unintentionally biased at any point). Like Gunz, you health system is fairly unrealistic in that it takes quite a few hits from pretty much any weapon to kill you. Unlike Gunz, the movement is somewhat stilted (not worse than in most normal shooters and it is still very fast, but much less free-ranging than in Gunz). One good thing is it is pretty customizable with quite a few pieces of armor and weapons to mix and match so there's quite a few more than in Gunz (although the amount of available weapons of each type seem about the same). Actual weapon setup is something of a mix between Gunz and Halo. Like in Gunz, you pick what weapons you want to bring to the match beforehand and none spawn within the maps themselves. However, like Halo you have 2 fully customizable weapon "sets" so you can combine any two one handed weapons in the game together (unlike in Gunz where the only dual weapons are the pre-set dual revolvers and dual pistols) or carry a single two handed weapon in one of the sets.

The actual weapons available are pistol (spray), rifle (longer range than pistol but fairly slow), shotgun (never tried it but I think it's fairly obvious what it's like), rectifier (heal gun), sword/spear for melee, shields, cannon (longest range, but two handed and you get knocked back and stunned upon using it), and rocket (never used this, but I believe it's like a stronger, less accurate cannon, not sure though). There are a few large maps, but most of the maps tend to be in the small-medium range (think Mansion in Gunz if it only had the main floor for the medium maps). This fact you will either love or hate depending upon your playstyle. If you generally go for shotguns and spray weapons in games you will love free-for-all deathmatch since most people seem to choose arena (a very small, circular single room) or random (which will likely land you in a smallish map anyway). Unfortunately, if you are like me and prefer long-range fighting you will be disappointed as it is nearly impossible to use the sniper-type weapon (cannon) in small maps due to the delay it takes to get it set up and in-between shots (rifle is a possibility but it is honestly a very very weak weapon and just barely longer range than pistol); since the game marks down every time you leave a game early, this means you will most likely be limited entirelyto team-based gameplay (or the rare free-for-all large maps) if you want to play solely long range.

Finally, I want to address two issues that will probably make you either love or hate the game. First, the 'reload' system. Unlike in Gunz, all weapons have infinite ammo. However, the catch is whenever you fire a weaon a gauge fills up. This gauge slowly decreases, but if it reaches the top it turns red and slowly starts to drain (if you have two one-handed weapons there is a gauge for each individual weapon). While the gauge is red, you can not attack with that weapon and each weapon (literally every weapon, not just every weapon-type) fills up the gauge and recovers from overheating at a different speed; this system applies to melee weapons and shields as well. So the answer to this seems simply; switch to your second set of weapons. Unfortunately, Exsteel has an Energy system which is basically as follows: You have energy (this is increased quite a bit by better parts, but for a while at least this can be annoying) which drains fairly fast whenever you boost (run) or jump higher than the normal amount via a jet-powered booster (this drains it far far faster than running), switching weapons also requires energy so if you are low on energy and need to switch weapons, you can't. This presents an interesting dilema for fights; if you switch weapons mid-fight you will be able to fight again, but you will be a ridiculously easy target because you can't move fast, likewise, if you don't switch weapons you can dodge but need to wait until your weapons are useable again (the time it takes seems to be about two or three times the reload time of most weapons in Gunz). However, an even worse problem with the cooldown system is the actual way you switch weapons. Games like Gunz and Halo that allow more than one weapon to be carried allow you to switch weapons instantly with the tap of a button, but in Exsteel if you switch weapon sets there is a little animation that lasts about 1 second between switching weapons, leaving you with no way of attacking (or using a shield) while switching weapons. I'm sure a decent amount of people find this system to be ingeniously strategic, but I think it is just unnecessarily crippling.

The second issue that I want to discuss is the auto-target system, which has already been the subject of a few debates. This system is the main reason why people clain Exsteel to be "newby friendly". Basically, every weapon in the game (except melee weapons, shields and rocket launchers) has an auto-target system where as long as you put the targetting reticle in the general area of someone, it will loock onto them and garauntee a hit while it's locked on. So, this means weapons like pistols (think SMG's in Gunz) are very popular in Exsteel because they don't spray: they rapidly shoot a bunch of bullets that will be garaunteed to hit if locked on. The point of dodging in the game is to get rid of the lock on, not to dodge the bullets themselves (I believe it is impossible to dodge a bullet once it is fired unless you get behind a wall very quickly). I am not sure if this next comment applies to all lock-on weapons, but I know for cannon at least you are garaunteed to miss if you are not locked on. So, unlike in Gunz where you generally try to predict your opponent's movements in advance and aim at where they will soon be, in Exsteel you aim at where they actally are and if you try to aim at where they are going you will miss since it is not locked on (this does not apply to melee weapons and I think rockets). Long range weapons, like the cannon, also have a minimum attack range so if someone manages to get near you you have no way of attacking normally (there are melee skills you can buy later on, but without them it's impossible and with the reload time by the time you get out of sniper mode and try switching, you most likely die). Also, to the best of my knowledge it is impossible to snipe someone from across the map like with revolvers in Gunz because weapons, including the cannon, have a maximum lock-on range (remember, you can not hit without lock on) so while for the long range weapons you can still shoot people from fairly far away, there is a range limit.

In conclusion, Exteel is not too much like Gunz and not for everyone. While it is true that the most common form of attack seems to be close-range lke in Gunz, unike Gunz the most common weapon seems to be the pistol (the spray weapon), less accuracy and a bit more reflexes are required, the game maps usually lean towards small (whereas in Gunz most maps are fairly large with a few small maps. Also for whatever reason in both games the max people in a game is 16), combat is overall slower and therefore relies more upon strategy than upon instinct and pure skill, and there is somewhat more customization in Exsteel (I say somewhat because while there are more types of weapons and more armor overall, there seems to be only about 3-4 of each type of weapon as opposed to, in most cases, 5+ of each weapon type). There also seems to be less players (most likely because it is still new), but less lag as well in Exteel.
    Wow. Thanks for the comprehensive review! I was looking for some decent commentary on this game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast