Gunz comparison Please!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21
    Rock Man Reputation: 10
    bladem2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    in your closet
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Well, I'm not here to point out flaws, so far Zefer, nothing is wrong. I also agree to what you say about exteel and such. Shooting games are shooting games, no matter how hard you try to differ things (especially features) in the end they all hold true to their value of gameplay. Seriously so what if there's a lock on feature? It's not the end of the world I mean with enough practice and common sense it's pretty easy to avoid fire, even from the high ranking corperals or seargents in game. So in other words your "skills" in the game depends on how well you strategize your movements, while in Gunz, it depends on how well you abuse game glitches.
    To some point depending on the player's view of play equipment isn't everything. Like Soulex said, you can go in a battle with all noob stuff and still place in a fairly high rank. For those who can't support is provided for them through weapon upgrades or new parts. In the end, a game is a game, if you don't like it move on to something else. *raises flame shield*
    my random quotes:Attitude controls all!
    The moon shines on those who seek it..

  2. #22
    Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    if gunz didnt have so many bugs and haxors it might just stand a chance against this game...
    >good bye<

  3. #23
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 113
    Greed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oakwood USA :O Posts: 9,998,999
    Posts
    12,163
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I don't get why people are hating the lock on system. I mean you're in a Gundam more or less. You would think that there would be an locking system on a freaking Gundam. In GunZ you were a person. Not a robot. And even with the locking system, it still takes some skill to kill someone.

    Now if it was only a FPS and not a 3rd Person Shooter =[ Or at least had the option to be an FPS.






  4. #24
    Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10
    Trippsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollen View Post
    its nothing like gunz there is only 1 cheap move in the game is where you jump around like a idiot managing to dodge every bullet from people who can't aim while being able to keep a straight shot. other then that you can expect that exteel doesn't have cheap moves like the "korean moves" in gunz which i like cause it just takes the fun out of it if you ask me =/
    exactly. Gunz was a great game till people found out how to use "BF" "Kstyle" or what ever. that is a bug. i donno y they didnt fix it. gunz is no fun to me now. exteel looks better.

  5. #25
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trippsol View Post
    exactly. Gunz was a great game till people found out how to use "BF" "Kstyle" or what ever. that is a bug. i donno y they didnt fix it. gunz is no fun to me now. exteel looks better.
    Animation cancelling/K-Style/etc was never "fixed", because for all intents and purposes, it is not classed as a bug.

    If it was, then Maiet would've patched it out a long time ago in KGunz before it had speard to the International version.

    As it stands, animation cancelling opens up a hoard of new techniques for GunZ that makes for intresting play when both sides know how to use the techniques, and diversifys the game to more then just "tumble while shooting <insert weapon here>" or "flip and shoot while in midair".

  6. #26
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trippsol View Post
    exactly. Gunz was a great game till people found out how to use "BF" "Kstyle" or what ever. that is a bug. i donno y they didnt fix it. gunz is no fun to me now. exteel looks better.
    I'm sorry that you can't play GunZ because you don't have the skills to keep up.


    GunZ - Yeah, it's got it's downs. It's got it's ups too. The graphics are fine IMO. Any more realistic and I would've quit. The purpose of the game is a FANTASY action world, not people dying in one shot.

    See, here's the thing. In Exteel, you're locked. Your movements aren't fluid and you're limited from one movement type -> another. Say you want to dash and shoot at the same time then take out your sword while landing? You can dash and shoot, but by the time you pull out that sword, you're going to be dead meat. Why? Animation. You need to pull out that sword -> initiate the attack, etc.

    GunZ takes far more skill in everything. People are flying left and right in the air, below, shots flying, etc. And guess what? If you have half a brain, you won't die in 10 seconds. Armor does give an advantage, but a slash or two extra and you'll get them on the same level as you. In GunZ, you can dash, shoot, and slash in about 1.3 seconds. The gameplay is fluid and you can cancel out animations. You're not locked into a move, you can cancel.

    Also, the fun thing about GunZ is the melee. There are melee moves such as Ground Slash, Aerial Massive, Phoenix, etc. These are just names for certain combinations of moves. Here's an example.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cnmGDbNdqI0

    Also, check this out. You can't do this in Exteel.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Bci9gri-MQ
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=QJvrkqnP_u0

    Funny thing is, both of those moves have counters. Every move in GunZ has a counter, and each counter has a weakness. Each weakness has a flaw, and each flaw has a counter. Get me? You can have a sword duel going on for 1 minute and both players will be full HP because they can keep countering each other.

    Also, here's GunZ's gameplay
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=W-tX9Y2s5gI

    I don't see you aiming that fast and at such lengths on Exteel. Every weapon on GunZ has a weakness and advantage, and the moves you use must compliment that move. You don't "buy" or "upgrade" moves. If you have the skills, you can do all the GunZ moves when you first start playing.

    Here are some links to learn more about GunZ:

    http://www.gunzrevolution.com/
    http://www.gunzrevolution.com/replays (for viewing inside GunZ)
    http://www.gunzrevolution.com/gallery (Screenshots)
    http://www.gunzrevolution.com/forums (Forums for Guides)
    http://www.gunzrevolution.com/guides/kstyle.php
    http://www.gunzrevolution.com/guides/gettingstarted.php
    http://www.gunzrevolution.com/guides/spawns.php
    http://www.gunzrevolution.com/gunz/maiet.php

    Read all that, and then tell me, is getting stuck in animations and not having fluid movement what you want, or a game where you can make your own moves and create moves never seen before?
    Last edited by Diamons; 12-24-2007 at 09:06 PM.

  7. #27
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    phweeeeeee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacn View Post
    Because theres too many noobs nowadays.
    Rofl, that goes for both Gunz and Exteel.

    I've played Gunz for a decent time, until I realized that if I continued, I'd get arthritis. Gunz isn't extremely equipment based, especially with pretty much 90 percent of people in the game using the same style once you're around level 30+. The main problem with Gunz is that everyone uses Butterfly Step, Half Step, Light Step, and so on and so forth. It gets really repetitive. After mastering all the weird versions of moves from GunzFactor, I finally realized how ridiculous of a game it was. You pretty much exploit all the milliseconds in the game to type a sequence over and over again, usually with little variation. I've seen it plenty of times, and it gets boring. VERY boring. Slash, dash, jump, slash, switch, shoot, switch, reload, slash, jump dash... and on and on and on until someone dies.

    As for the main problem in Exteel, I would probably say the lack of community. Especially with no clan system, most players don't use teamwork in battles, which normally takes the fun out of the game. That's why sprayers are so dominant, because it's the only "class" that can rely on itself to fight (in other words, rush up and shoot like crazy). Sprayers themselves aren't a problem; barely any sprayer gets 1st place frequently, and most top players never use spraying guns, but that's besides the point. What takes the fun out of Exteel is the lack of player-constructed strategy. You'll know what I mean once you get a team that actually works together, utilizing the "commands" system, staying together, not rushing in, keeping an eye on the bases, etc. With teamwork, all of the "classes" become equal all of a sudden, and it becomes a much more exciting battle. If Exteel only had a good community to work with, it would be great.

    As for the pros of each game, I'd have to say:

    Gunz
    -Flexible, especially in early levels
    -Good variety of weapons
    -Fast learning curve
    -Decent graphics that keep your attention for a while
    -Comfortable leveling and gold system
    -At least it has a community

    Exteel
    -Flexible to an extent, depends on what parts you have
    -Good customization (skills, paint, parts) as well as a variety of weapons
    -User friendly, as well as newbie friendly
    -Decent graphics
    -Good leveling system
    -Access to "Territory Control" (Beats Atk and Def any day)
    -Great Quest (Last Stand) system
    -Decent sounds (particularly the command system, as well as the dialog as the battle progresses)

    As for the cons:

    Gunz
    -Extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY repetitive once you learn all the K style moves and speed tactics and whatnot
    -Low level of character variety, as in everyone has pretty much the same attacking mindset
    -Promotes arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome
    -No more cool wall running and flips once you hit the big leagues, due to massive amounts of canceling moves and cutting all the animations out, which was the original catch of the game to differ from other MMOs
    -A rather ridiculous quest system (especially for the people who quest so they don't lose exp in death matches)
    -Repetitive graphics, as well as character faces (especially the 99% of guys who play as girls because they "don't want to stare at a character's butt all day")
    -No good sound effects whatsoever

    Exteel
    -Graphics get a little too flashy sometimes
    -Lack of flexibility while in melee mode (well, better than pressing 20 buttons a second)
    -The lock on system
    -Somewhat repetitive maps
    -Little or no community/teamwork

    Well, to make it simple, I'd choose Exteel over Gunz any day. And that's from someone who's been playing Gunz for a while.
    Last edited by phweeeeeee; 01-10-2008 at 02:15 AM.

  8. #28
    Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 14
    aj3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seeric View Post
    To be honest this game really isn't anything at all like Gunz so I'm not sure why people try to compare the two. Actually, the combat reminds me a lot of Rakion where if you hit you tend to do a good amount of damage, but missing results in not being able to attack for a while (or even worse for guns like the cannons where you are immobile after shooting as well) so if you miss there is a good chance you will get hit.

    However, if you want to compare it to Gunz, I'll try to to the best of my abilities (note that I have been playing Gunz far longer and honestly prefer it a lot more so sorry in advance if I am unintentionally biased at any point). Like Gunz, you health system is fairly unrealistic in that it takes quite a few hits from pretty much any weapon to kill you. Unlike Gunz, the movement is somewhat stilted (not worse than in most normal shooters and it is still very fast, but much less free-ranging than in Gunz). One good thing is it is pretty customizable with quite a few pieces of armor and weapons to mix and match so there's quite a few more than in Gunz (although the amount of available weapons of each type seem about the same). Actual weapon setup is something of a mix between Gunz and Halo. Like in Gunz, you pick what weapons you want to bring to the match beforehand and none spawn within the maps themselves. However, like Halo you have 2 fully customizable weapon "sets" so you can combine any two one handed weapons in the game together (unlike in Gunz where the only dual weapons are the pre-set dual revolvers and dual pistols) or carry a single two handed weapon in one of the sets.

    The actual weapons available are pistol (spray), rifle (longer range than pistol but fairly slow), shotgun (never tried it but I think it's fairly obvious what it's like), rectifier (heal gun), sword/spear for melee, shields, cannon (longest range, but two handed and you get knocked back and stunned upon using it), and rocket (never used this, but I believe it's like a stronger, less accurate cannon, not sure though). There are a few large maps, but most of the maps tend to be in the small-medium range (think Mansion in Gunz if it only had the main floor for the medium maps). This fact you will either love or hate depending upon your playstyle. If you generally go for shotguns and spray weapons in games you will love free-for-all deathmatch since most people seem to choose arena (a very small, circular single room) or random (which will likely land you in a smallish map anyway). Unfortunately, if you are like me and prefer long-range fighting you will be disappointed as it is nearly impossible to use the sniper-type weapon (cannon) in small maps due to the delay it takes to get it set up and in-between shots (rifle is a possibility but it is honestly a very very weak weapon and just barely longer range than pistol); since the game marks down every time you leave a game early, this means you will most likely be limited entirelyto team-based gameplay (or the rare free-for-all large maps) if you want to play solely long range.

    Finally, I want to address two issues that will probably make you either love or hate the game. First, the 'reload' system. Unlike in Gunz, all weapons have infinite ammo. However, the catch is whenever you fire a weaon a gauge fills up. This gauge slowly decreases, but if it reaches the top it turns red and slowly starts to drain (if you have two one-handed weapons there is a gauge for each individual weapon). While the gauge is red, you can not attack with that weapon and each weapon (literally every weapon, not just every weapon-type) fills up the gauge and recovers from overheating at a different speed; this system applies to melee weapons and shields as well. So the answer to this seems simply; switch to your second set of weapons. Unfortunately, Exsteel has an Energy system which is basically as follows: You have energy (this is increased quite a bit by better parts, but for a while at least this can be annoying) which drains fairly fast whenever you boost (run) or jump higher than the normal amount via a jet-powered booster (this drains it far far faster than running), switching weapons also requires energy so if you are low on energy and need to switch weapons, you can't. This presents an interesting dilema for fights; if you switch weapons mid-fight you will be able to fight again, but you will be a ridiculously easy target because you can't move fast, likewise, if you don't switch weapons you can dodge but need to wait until your weapons are useable again (the time it takes seems to be about two or three times the reload time of most weapons in Gunz). However, an even worse problem with the cooldown system is the actual way you switch weapons. Games like Gunz and Halo that allow more than one weapon to be carried allow you to switch weapons instantly with the tap of a button, but in Exsteel if you switch weapon sets there is a little animation that lasts about 1 second between switching weapons, leaving you with no way of attacking (or using a shield) while switching weapons. I'm sure a decent amount of people find this system to be ingeniously strategic, but I think it is just unnecessarily crippling.

    The second issue that I want to discuss is the auto-target system, which has already been the subject of a few debates. This system is the main reason why people clain Exsteel to be "newby friendly". Basically, every weapon in the game (except melee weapons, shields and rocket launchers) has an auto-target system where as long as you put the targetting reticle in the general area of someone, it will loock onto them and garauntee a hit while it's locked on. So, this means weapons like pistols (think SMG's in Gunz) are very popular in Exsteel because they don't spray: they rapidly shoot a bunch of bullets that will be garaunteed to hit if locked on. The point of dodging in the game is to get rid of the lock on, not to dodge the bullets themselves (I believe it is impossible to dodge a bullet once it is fired unless you get behind a wall very quickly). I am not sure if this next comment applies to all lock-on weapons, but I know for cannon at least you are garaunteed to miss if you are not locked on. So, unlike in Gunz where you generally try to predict your opponent's movements in advance and aim at where they will soon be, in Exsteel you aim at where they actally are and if you try to aim at where they are going you will miss since it is not locked on (this does not apply to melee weapons and I think rockets). Long range weapons, like the cannon, also have a minimum attack range so if someone manages to get near you you have no way of attacking normally (there are melee skills you can buy later on, but without them it's impossible and with the reload time by the time you get out of sniper mode and try switching, you most likely die). Also, to the best of my knowledge it is impossible to snipe someone from across the map like with revolvers in Gunz because weapons, including the cannon, have a maximum lock-on range (remember, you can not hit without lock on) so while for the long range weapons you can still shoot people from fairly far away, there is a range limit.

    In conclusion, Exteel is not too much like Gunz and not for everyone. While it is true that the most common form of attack seems to be close-range lke in Gunz, unike Gunz the most common weapon seems to be the pistol (the spray weapon), less accuracy and a bit more reflexes are required, the game maps usually lean towards small (whereas in Gunz most maps are fairly large with a few small maps. Also for whatever reason in both games the max people in a game is 16), combat is overall slower and therefore relies more upon strategy than upon instinct and pure skill, and there is somewhat more customization in Exsteel (I say somewhat because while there are more types of weapons and more armor overall, there seems to be only about 3-4 of each type of weapon as opposed to, in most cases, 5+ of each weapon type). There also seems to be less players (most likely because it is still new), but less lag as well in Exteel.
    where did u copy that from?
    Games i am playing:
    waiting for:

    Guild wars 2
    guild wars

    fallout 3


    CS:S



  9. #29
    Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 12
    Phoenixfencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    619
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamons View Post
    I'm sorry that you can't play GunZ because you don't have the skills to keep up.


    GunZ - Yeah, it's got it's downs. It's got it's ups too. The graphics are fine IMO. Any more realistic and I would've quit. The purpose of the game is a FANTASY action world, not people dying in one shot.

    See, here's the thing. In Exteel, you're locked. Your movements aren't fluid and you're limited from one movement type -> another. Say you want to dash and shoot at the same time then take out your sword while landing? You can dash and shoot, but by the time you pull out that sword, you're going to be dead meat. Why? Animation. You need to pull out that sword -> initiate the attack, etc.

    GunZ takes far more skill in everything. People are flying left and right in the air, below, shots flying, etc. And guess what? If you have half a brain, you won't die in 10 seconds. Armor does give an advantage, but a slash or two extra and you'll get them on the same level as you. In GunZ, you can dash, shoot, and slash in about 1.3 seconds. The gameplay is fluid and you can cancel out animations. You're not locked into a move, you can cancel.

    Also, the fun thing about GunZ is the melee. There are melee moves such as Ground Slash, Aerial Massive, Phoenix, etc. These are just names for certain combinations of moves. Here's an example.
    This guy is an idiot. All these "moves" he tries to mention are actually glitches. They're not actually moves at all, you're glitching the program to cancel some of the animations. Try playing Gunz legit without cheating and see how fluid it is, it's jacked up.

    More then likely this was a noob who tried to play Exteel, got majorly owned cause he couldn't do all his little cheats and quit. Stick with Exteel, it's a much better game.

  10. #30
    Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    The person who started this thread probably got his answer from Seeric's comprehensive and well-thought out post, but I got things to say and I'm gonna say them.

    Let me just say this about these "glitches/moves" you guys are all arguing about. You are absolutely right, they ARE glitches. Obviously, since they were going for the John Woo style action and I don't think anyone in John Woo films has ever dashed towards a wall, slashed it, and was propelled upwards, only to do it again (I could be wrong though). But it is ALSO true that the makers of the game made the decision to LEAVE THEM IN THE GAME because they thought it ADDED TO THE EXPERIENCE. Wall slashing was even demonstrated in an official trailer, I'm sure you've all seen it, the trailer I mean. Its a glitch, yes, but its also a legitimate part of the game now.

    Anyway, I'm sure you know already but Gunz and Exteel are VERY, VERY different games with very different styles of gameplay. The only similarities are pretty much the fact that you can equip both guns and swords in both games, and movement involves a combination of WASD and the mouse.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •