Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Onrpg Needs You! Looking for writers!

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

Personally I find the advice that Shift is giving is very sound and reasonable.

Can we indefinetly submit reviews that we develop up or is there going to be a max number per applicant?

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 11

God knows I wish I could unleash my sarcasm at games that are absolutely terrible. But no. You can write that the game is bad, and justify why, but you cannot do it with blatant and dripping sarcasm.

If after 3 attempts you cannot produce a review that is up to caliber, I would recommend giving up. I've been giving feedback to those reviews I've read, and will continue to read what is sent and give feedback on that as well.

If you are not interested in doing writing for Onrpg, PLEASE do not make submissions. I have entirely too much work to do already without having to read submissions from those who are not serious.

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 17

I've sent my review in. My fate awaits in your hands :3

Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 131

I sent mine in last night. Hotmail was screwing with my format though, so I had to send it via an attachment. I can resend it if need be.

[19:45] ♥Moloko Lynx♥: Flight sims would even suit you, Riz. You seem to have the sensibilities of an old man.
    Member since May 8, 2004.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 162

is there an age limit? Im only 15 soon to be 16 but i have lots of free time christmas holidays coming up to. I would love to be a part time writer if that exists.
    One more thing how long will this be on for? Can i apply within the next year when i leave high school?

Heads or Tails Reputation: 15

i'm only maybe 3/4 thru my review and i got almost 1400 words lol

Retired Staff Reputation: 492

Is there a time limit?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 177

While I would attempt at this, I doubt you would want an HONEST review of a game. Seeing as this site has ads up the wazoo.

Arri's Animal Reputation: 136

You made me go into spazmoid mode from the title.
    I just had a story idea in my head, and this could've been my chance to get an unknown publisher.
    /sigh...

Ah well, I might try later.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 46

I wonder how much rambling these submission have.

NA Dragon Nest: Argenta : Cleric : Rudy

Quote Originally Posted by TheJESTERJ View Post
    While I would attempt at this, I doubt you would want an HONEST review of a game. Seeing as this site has ads up the wazoo.
    We do honest game reviews. As of yet we have avoided posting any overtly bad reviews, but to be honest I have not found many game that I played long enough that was "below average". There's 1 in mind, but since I formally worked for that game company before starting at Onrpg, I cannot actually write about it as it would seem to have an unfair bias.

Ads do not mean you cannot speak the truth.

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 41

Put in mine earlier. Had one of my english teachers revise it for me, I hope its good.
    Playin:
    LoL: Purpler41n
    WoW: Murgol- Farstriders US RP

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 14

What do ads have to do with anything? I was a webmaster, sort of still am. Ads are merely a means to support the website and those who run it. You do not need to be affiliated in any way with those ads. They do not own you (or your review), nor do they effect what journalist write. They are there based on how many hits you get a day.

Thats it.

Onrpg does not appear to be biased at all, then again they have many different staff members over the years. Many of who are under the age of 18, not to say you cannot be mature under 18, but age and professionalism do make a difference. I say this from experience.

Honestly, i was offered a job for the warcry network, this time around I am tempted to submit work. Ads do not mean anything however. You do good work, you get noticed for it, more advertisers will come because the site gets more popular. Remember the ads do not control you, you control the ads. So it goes to the webmaster and owner of the site/network.

Honestly i think Onrpg should set up a stickam/veoh/myspace game video review/show channel. I know many people here in LA who do it for gaming and the level of support and attention they get is ..well... astounding. We are in the age where anyone can publish anything and be heard.

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 41

However, if the company who owns said ads have a little bit of sway with the owner of the advertiser ($ much?), ads may make a little (very big) difference on how the website reviews them.

Do you catch my drift?
    Playin:
    LoL: Purpler41n
    WoW: Murgol- Farstriders US RP

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 14

Quote Originally Posted by hiboy2004 View Post
    However, if the company who owns said ads have a little bit of sway with the owner of the advertiser ($ much?), ads may make a little (very big) difference on how the website reviews them.

Do you catch my drift?
    lol but thats still assumption...catch my drift?

The point is, if one company plays favorites with one advertiser, they alienate all the other advertisers. Doesnt make sense does it. Thus by staying neutral and telling your hit count, you get more payed adverts who care more about your visitor history than who you root for, which would screw you over!

make sense?

A Shrubbery Reputation: 18

I wrote out a review for Eternal Sonata just now that came out to roughly 1400 words, and sent it in.

Quote Originally Posted by hiboy2004 View Post

Do you catch my drift?
    Ads make NO difference on what games we cover. Let me make that CLEAR.

The closest influence you could say that ads have on the articles we do is that if we have not already done an interview and preview/review, we will make time to cover those that advertise. There have been 2 games I could not recommend (nor recommend against) and all the rest have at least been worth a try.

There's 1 game out right now that is downright TERRIBLE. Unfortunately, as I stated in an earlier post, I briefly did some consulting work for them so I cannot write a review on the title. If I were to review it was a bad game, they would claim slander, and if I were to write something good it would be untrue. They offered us an ad campaign in order to get ANY media attention, and we passed on it. That should show you right there that we are not here *just* to make money.

The staff at Onrpg is here because we want to have the absolute best community of ANY website. For a while, the focus has been on building the community. We are now working on providing content that will give our community something to do other than post in the forums all day.

Many submissions I have received are really top notch, and I want to thank everyone who has submitted work, as well as those who send some in the future. There is no deadline for submission, so feel free to send one in at any time!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 140

I am waiting on an answer xD
    I'm only one voice in a million, but you ain't taking that from me!

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 19

I'm writing one for Hellgate: London, I hope the application reviewers will enjoy my extreme cynicism for Gabriel did
    146% of all people make up statistics, don't bother putting this in your profile but people really need to stop putting this type of idiocy in theirs.

It is in human capability to understand the flaw of the major design, but is it in human capability to apply the knowledge? For that matter, what is knowledge and what is concept; do we really know?
    - AlexanderVB

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 140

He(Atiari) doesnt want to read my review because I said that I didnt really had time for it because I got alot for school etc... But I just want to know if my review was good, because if it was, maybe ill make my job from it or something. I'm just asking for some tips and if my article was good
    I hope Gabriel is so nice to read it
    I'm only one voice in a million, but you ain't taking that from me!

Look, I can appreciate the fact that some of you just want a professional to look over your work. I can even appreciate that you will likely not be a professional writer...ever. But I am interested in finding the best possible writers from our community to represent Onrpg and share their views with the community and even more since articles are featured on the front page.

Those who would like their work critiqued by a professional can email me their writing in a week and I PROMISE I'll look at it then, even if you are not considering writing for Onrpg.

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

This would be perfect for me, because I'd like to write for Nintendo Power someday :O

I dunno, quite a few people have entered....GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Hmmm...did you say how many you were looking for? And, do you reply via email or PM's on here?

Oops. Mine was a bit short. I think I got the point across though.

http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/...untwords.shtml Theres a word counter, for those of you who are lazy
    Last edited by Oisterman; 12-06-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Ok, let me attempt to be clear yet nice. If you are NOT interested in becoming a part-time volunteer writer for Onrpg, I do not have the time right now to take a look at your work to critique it. I know you may want a professional writer to look at it, and that is fine and normally I would.

During this time, I need to dedicate my time to reading those who are serious about becoming writers for the site. This is an opportunity for people from the community to share their opinions with the community at large and more, as their work will be featured on the front page of the site.

If you do not want to try and become a writer for Onrpg, but still want me to critique your work, please resubmit it in a week or 2 to the same email address.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

nice thanks for the app

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 467

hey can you post the stuff people sent in? i wanna read it to see what stuff people submitted.

lol, that made me... well... lol
    To be THIS good takes