Onrpg Needs You! Looking for writers!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Retired Staff Reputation: 492

Oh YES! My dream job! I'm looking forward to studying literature at Notre Dame, and I've already applied and got an early acception, but this would be great to add to my application!

Anyways, 1000th post!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152

Gabe, you if need me, HOLLERRRR!!!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 140

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftfallout View Post
    Most likely. A 13 year old for example would usually not be given a journalist pass for something like E3, much less expect him to go to it. A kid for example, would not really be taken seriously when trying to get into press related events, or talks with the developers. As a journalist you have to also be able to put bias on the back seat and know what elements to look for in what you review. Knowing how games are made, who makes them, genre, game elements, and all that are important in being able to clearly understand and review a game. Usually an "i like it because it is fun and cartoony" approach is not very professional.

The best way to review a game in my opinion, is to break it down into its pros and cons + features, and then go into depth about each of them. The first paragraph can contain your first impression, and the final your conclusion.

Like always ur pretty harsh ...
    Btw, I have sent my article and Well, wanna know what I got back?

Your writing shows promise, but you need to refine your skills a little more.
    With other words, I am going to change it and send it to him again. Though I dont want to have the job, since i'm 2 busy with school and stuff
    I'm only one voice in a million, but you ain't taking that from me!

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 5

Quote Originally Posted by MageMoa View Post
    Like always ur pretty harsh ...
    Well its not that Im harsh, but I am not cover coating the reality of it. Life is pretty harsh if you think about it, and sometimes the truth is not what we want to hear.

That doesnt mean you cannot submit content at a young age, but it definately effects things like field work and other journalistic opportunities.

A good start would be to start a blog, learn as much as you can about the industry you want to write about, and do as much as you can. If you write for attention, then you will ultimately fail, but if you have a passion for the subject matter, then it never hurts to start building a portfolio as early as possible.

In this day and age, anyone can self publish themselves on the internet. Be happy we have that opportunity now.

PS: Let me tell you a little story about a couple kids I met. One day they were trying to figure out how to make money at their young age. They decided to become popperatzi(sp) and with their cameras they chased celebrities around taking their pictures. Well because they were kids they got a lot more attention, the celebs became friends with them and now they have their own tv show in the works. They are I think 15 now. So the young age factor can always have a novelty effect, and it didnt stop them from being successful, but they also knew that they were dealing with aggressive professional popperatzi(sp), older men who make a living supporting their lives on their work. They got lucky, the odds were against them. If you have the same drive they had, dont give up, but dont expect magic to happen. You might have to wait a few more years as you grow up for the best opportunities. Thats how life works.
    Last edited by Shiftfallout; 12-05-2007 at 05:26 PM.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Do you love playing games? What about sharing your opinion on them? Ever dream of entering the video game industry? Onrpg.com would like to announce that we are now looking for some volunteer writers for our staff! Truth be told, there are so many games coming out that we need more people to step up and share their opinions with the community.

We are looking for those who are mature, dedicated individuals that are interested in writing reviews on all sorts of MMOs, be them free to play games, buy to play, or pay to play. All materials that will be needed to cover a game will be provided by Onrpg. Not just anyone will qualify to become a writer though. What we need are talented individuals that demonstrate the ability to write independently and are able to work in an efficient manner. It is expected that a reasonable amount of time will be put forth to give an honest and full review. This may vary from title to title, but the Senior Editor will be able to give guidance as needed.

What are we offering to those who are willing to take up this endeavor? Well, first and foremost you will be assured of beta keys for games you are going to preview, as well as extras laying around for the most talked about games. Press passes will be distributed to those who wish to attend various industry related events, such as E3 and PAX. You will also be able to use Onrpg.com as a reference on your resume, which will reflect well should you pursue a job in the game industry.

To apply for the position, please send a sample review for any game you may have played tobrian@onrpg.com. Make it at least 1000 words, though longer is preferred. Please make sure it is a piece that you wrote yourself and not something you “borrowed” from elsewhere as that will be an instant disqualification right there. Those who are chosen after a careful review process will be contacted and offered the positions.

Good luck to all that apply!
    Can we be extremely cynical and sarcastic about games that are god awful? Like in all honesty there are a large portion of games that are so boring that drinking cyanide is more appealing then playing it. Hell, watching reruns of the Gilmore Girls is better (which in itself is assisted suicide).
    Last edited by AlexanderVB; 12-05-2007 at 05:55 PM.
    146% of all people make up statistics, don't bother putting this in your profile but people really need to stop putting this type of idiocy in theirs.

It is in human capability to understand the flaw of the major design, but is it in human capability to apply the knowledge? For that matter, what is knowledge and what is concept; do we really know?
    - AlexanderVB

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

Personally I find the advice that Shift is giving is very sound and reasonable.

Can we indefinetly submit reviews that we develop up or is there going to be a max number per applicant?

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 11

God knows I wish I could unleash my sarcasm at games that are absolutely terrible. But no. You can write that the game is bad, and justify why, but you cannot do it with blatant and dripping sarcasm.

If after 3 attempts you cannot produce a review that is up to caliber, I would recommend giving up. I've been giving feedback to those reviews I've read, and will continue to read what is sent and give feedback on that as well.

If you are not interested in doing writing for Onrpg, PLEASE do not make submissions. I have entirely too much work to do already without having to read submissions from those who are not serious.

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 17

I've sent my review in. My fate awaits in your hands

Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 129

I sent mine in last night. Hotmail was screwing with my format though, so I had to send it via an attachment. I can resend it if need be.

[19:45] ♥Moloko Lynx♥: Flight sims would even suit you, Riz. You seem to have the sensibilities of an old man.
    Member since May 8, 2004.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 162

is there an age limit? Im only 15 soon to be 16 but i have lots of free time christmas holidays coming up to. I would love to be a part time writer if that exists.
    One more thing how long will this be on for? Can i apply within the next year when i leave high school?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast