City of Heroes’ Issue 20: Incarnates Launches!
Today, April 5th, marks the launch of the long-awaited free content release for the City of Heroes franchise, Issue 20: Incarnates. Issue 20 will bring two of the most challenging and exciting end game encounters the franchise has ever seen.
Building on storylines from 2010’s City of Heroes Going Rogue® expansion, players will be introduced to the game’s new Incarnate Trials; group encounters featuring a series of innovative game mechanics that will test even the most powerful characters. Taking place in the seemingly utopian empire of Praetoria, Heroes and Villains will find themselves challenged with a cosmic threat that could destroy two worlds. Players who successfully pass the new team challenges will rise in power, and perhaps even surpass the legendary characters of the City of Heroes universe.
A complete list of features for players to look for includes:
- New Incarnate Powers*: Issue 20 introduces four new tiers of Incarnate Powers, new abilities that modify your character’s powers, or even unlock all-new ones. Massive elemental attacks, unparalleled healing powers and high-tech summons are just a taste of what the increasingly omnipotent Incarnates will experience.
- New Incarnate Trials*: Firmly rooted in the lore of City of Heroes, the Incarnate Trials will use all-new tech, systems and gameplay mechanics to deliver exciting challenges and propel Heroes and Villains to new levels of power. 8-24 players can team up to fight against the power-driven Emperor Cole and his powerful Lieutenants. Issue 20 launches with the following two Incarnate Trials, with more to come in future updates as the war between Praetoria and Primal Earth escalates.
- Behavioral Adjustment Facility (BAF): Breaking into Praetoria’s most secure prison will require players to use all their skills as they face Emperor Cole’s cybernetic guardians, Siege and Nightstar, while also keeping floods of inmates from escaping in a challenge that’s akin to a game of reverse tower defense.
- Lambda Sector: This heavily fortified military base is where Emperor Cole mass-produces his genetically-engineered Olympian Guard troopers. By taking out Lambda Sector and its deadly warden, Marauder, players will deal a critical blow to Cole’s army.
- New Task Forces: The Admiral Sutter Task Force and Mortimer Kal Strike Force are designed for Heroes and Villains of level 20-40, allowing lower level characters to participate in the overall story surrounding the invasion of Primal Earth and the mystery surrounding the Incarnates.
- New Grouping Features: For the first time, up to 48 players can now team up in a single group with the new League system. The Looking for Group system has also been upgraded with the Team-Up Teleporter, a new UI feature that allows players to easily queue up for the all-new Incarnate Trials, instantly transporting characters to the event once a full group is formed.
*Access to the Incarnate Trials and Incarnate Powers requires the City of Heroes Going Rogue expansion.
For more information on City of Heroes and the Issue 20: Incarnate update, check out the Trailer Video or visit the official website, www.cityofheroes.com. Also be sure to take a look at our recent interview with CoX producer Nate Birkholz.