Yesterday was the birthday of my personal favorite console of all time: Super Nintendo Entertainment System! The NES was my first, but the SNES is my baby! My all-time favorite! Top of the list! And I wanted to talk about it yesterday, but alas, I was far too busy! But today, I want to take the time to say thank you to all the developers, creators, artists, and musicians that created some of the most beloved memories and games in my entire life. There are Super Nintendo games I still dust off and play to this day because they were beyond compare. Now, there are a lot of people who say that’s only because of nostalgia glasses, but the numbers don’t lie, people! Just look at any top ten RPG list and I’d be half of the games on it are from the Super Nintendo. And the old advert went “Genesis does what Nintendon’t”, but what was that, anyway? Not produce Chrono Trigger? EarthBound? Castlevania? Zelda 3? Yeah, okay. I guess they didn’t. . . But anyway!
I have some pretty fond memories of the Super Nintendo. I did not get one on launch, sadly, mine came a few years later. And cartridges were far and few between, but I treasured them, then and now. My first games were Super Mario World, Aliens vs. Predator, and Super Turrican, but my first experience with one was Final Fantasy II [IV]. My uncle rented me an SNES for the weekend and FF2, and I was in love immediately. Between that and Nintendo Power, I had to have one, no matter what. Then in middle school, after a lock-in with some friends, I played Final Fantasy 3. It wasn’t long after that when I got mine, and it filled my life with 16bit beauty. Mortal Kombat 2 was a staple in my collection, as well as one of my favorites of all time, Lufia and the Fortress of Doom. It’s a game that I wish more people had seen and experienced. The SNES allowed us to experience tales of sadness, hope, and saving the world with allies and friends. I love reading, always have, but being able to visualize these epics changed my life. Before I sign off, my top 10 SNES games of all time! Admittedly, most of these are Roleplaying Games, but that’s what I love! I miss a lot of games here, so no h8 plz. Honorable mentions go to Donkey Kong Country [and the cool limited edition shirt I had], Earthworm Jim, Secret of Mana, Ultima: The False Prophet, Mortal Kombat 2 and 3, and of course, Super Mario World.
- 10: Wing Commander [My very first space shooter]
- 9: Super Turrican [I didn’t get this game, but holy damn it was a fun shooter.]
- 8: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest [Shut up. This game was fun. Simple, but fun.]
- 7: Chrono Trigger: [Unf. So many endings, and time-travel done fucking right.]
- 6: Super Castlevania IV: [The best side-scroller on SNES.]
- 5: Final Fantasy III: [Yes, I know it’s VI. But huge cast, and gripping save-the-world story.]
- 4: Super Metroid: [Ohmygod. This game was so challenging, but so gritty and gorgeous.]
- 3: Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals [Takes place before Lufia 1, but it was heartbreaking.]
- 2: Final Fantasy II: [A love story, betrayal, to the moon and beyond! It was love at first sight.]
- 1: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom [Silly graphics hide a gutwrenching and tragic tale. But there is hope.]
What are your fond SNES Memories? Do you have a top 5/10 to share? Come on and hit me with it!