League of Legends Reveals Graves, The Outlaw
With the season 2 preseason well on its way, Riot Games seems to be pushing towards a new wave of unique champions designed to break up the current meta and push Tanky DPS champions with intense ranged damage. First there was Xerath the artillery like caster, and now League of Legends is prepared to introduce Graves, the Outlaw. Graves wields a hextech shotgun he personally named Destiny as he seeks vengeance on his formal swindling partner, Twisted Fate. It’s not often League of Legends releases a male ranged dps character and when they do you can usually expect some meaty damage to go along with it.
Let’s take a look at his kit:
- Buckshot: Graves fires three bullets in a cone damaging all enemies in the projectiles path. Enemies at close range can be hit by multiple projectiles, but each one beyond the first will deal reduced damage.
- Smokescreen: Graves fires a smoke canister at the target area that deals damage and creates a cloud of smoke. Enemies inside the smoke cloud have reduced sight range and movement speed.
- Quickdraw: Graves dashes forward gaining an attack speed boost for several seconds. Attacking enemies lowers the cooldown of this skill.
- Collateral Damage (Ultimate): Graves fires an explosive shell dealing heavy damage to the first target it hits. After hitting a champion or reaching the end of its range the shell explodes dealing damage in a cone behind the target.
- True Grit (Passive): Graves gains increasing armor and magic resistance the longer he remains in combat.
As you can see, Graves seems built around countering all the standard weaknesses ranged dps characters bring to the table. His buckshot brings the pain to melee fighters that try to pressure him. His smokescreen is amazing for both chasing squishier foes or escaping true threats. His quickdraw allows him to quickly pursue fleeing enemies for the kill. And his collateral damage allows him to be a threat in team fights without putting himself in harm’s way. True Grit rounds this all out by making him tanky enough to stand toe to toe with the bruiser champions dominating the current meta.
Look forward to our full review on Graves and new buffs/nerfs later this month when Jason Harper takes Graves out for a test drive on the fields of justice.