Today, Hi-Rez has revealed SMITE’s reworked Ao Kuang, Dragon King of the Eastern Seas.
The rework, which has been teased for a while now, aims to bring a more lore-accurate god to the pantheon. Ao Kuang’s original character was previously transformed into the serpent Kukulkan.
Ao Kuang’s new skills as a melee mage are as follows:
- King’s Sword: Ao Kuang’s sword can hold energy charges, and regenerates charges while out of combat. Each time Ao Kuang casts an ability, an energy charge will be consumed if available, increasing the damage of the ability. If Ao Kuang is out of mana, he will use Energy Charges to cast abilities instead.
- Water Illusion: Ao Kuang teleports forward into stealth, leaving behind a watery form of himself. He remains in stealth until he attacks or takes damage. Ao Kuang may activate this ability again to detonate the watery form, dealing damage to nearby enemies.
- Dragon Call: Ao Kuang summons dragons to his side. For every successful basic attack Ao Kuang makes, a dragon will dive to the target dealing additional damage. This ability ends after all dragons are used or time expires. Ao Kuang may activate this ability again to send forward any remaining dragons in a ranged attack. The dragons damage and slow the first enemy hit.
- Wild Storm: Ao Kuang unleashes a storm of lightning from his sword, damaging all enemies in front of him. This hit is considered a basic attack, and will activate item effects.
- King of the Eastern Seas: Ao Kuang selects a single target in melee range and grabs them, dealing damage and knocking them up into the air. If the target is under a health threshold, Ao Kuang will instead reveal his true form, becoming a Dragon and executing them. After transforming Ao Kuang remains in the air, and may then pick a new location to land, dealing damage to enemies and fully recharging his sword.
You can learn more about the rework here.