2007 MMO of the Year* Introduces Fifth Content Update for Subscribers
WESTWOOD, MA April 24, 2008 – Turbine, Inc. and Codemasters Online announced the details of the fifth content update for subscribers to The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar. Book 13: Doom of the Last-king continues the epic story of The Lord of the Rings Online, adds an entire new region to the world of Middle-earth, a new Monster Play class and the introduction of the hobby system. Book 13: Doom of the Last-king will be available to subscribers of The Lord of the Rings Online on April 24, 2008 in North America and is coming soon in Europe.
The Lord of the Rings Online has grown dramatically in scale, content and the size of our community in its first year of operation, said Jim Crowley, president and CEO of Turbine, Inc. Weve received a very positive response from players about the new region of Forochel and the long-awaited addition of fishing that adds an entirely new level of fun and enjoyment to the game. Its been an incredible first year and we are hard at work finishing up Book 14 slated for release this summer. All of us are very excited for our journey this fall into the Mines of Moria.
- New Region In the far, frozen north of Eriador lies Forochel, a land unlike any other in Middle-earth. This new region lets players see the ocean for the first time and introduces several new temperature based landscape effects. Players will need to be mindful of the cold due to a new damage type frost. Frost will slowly damage their character until they find a source of warmth in the form of shelter or a campfire.
- New Faction Beneath the brooding skies of Forochel dwell the hardy tribes known as the Lossoth. Suspicious of outsiders, they have long warred against other folk especially the Guaredain, bloodthirsty wolf-loving barbarians in league with the forces of Angmar. Players can earn favor with the Lossoth by helping them in the struggle against their ancient enemy in this latest addition to The Lord of the Rings Onlines (LOTRO) reputation system. Lossoth reputation rewards include unique armor sets, weapons, a new mount, housing decorations, and class specific items
- Introducing the Defiler The first new class for Monster Players debuts in Book 13. The Defiler is a healer that will round out any War Band in their quest to dominate the Ettenmoors. The Defiler uses new healing skills such as Fertile Slime and Fungal Bloom to aid its party in battle and has a host of new Debuff skills including Curse of the Lethargic Heart to defeat their enemies.
- The Hobby System The player hobby system is introduced in Book 13. Fishing is the first hobby being introduced in LOTRO. From the Midgewater Marshes to the Shores of Evendim, players will find fishing to be a relaxing, entertaining and beneficial pastime. Players can earn deeds and traits as they improve their fishing prowess and captured fish can be used to cook in recipes or be mounted as trophies in a players house.
- The Epic Continues! At Elronds urging, players venture into the frozen wastes of the north to continue Laerdans search for the remnants of the ring Narchuil. Aided by the Snowmen of Forochel, players will uncover the fate of an ancestor of Aragorn and strive to thwart the terrible aims of Angmar.
- Over 100 New Quests The story continues for players as they aid the Fellowship and encounter new adventures in Middle-earth.
The Lord of the Rings Online is an award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game that delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places and monsters from the most beloved fantasy adventure of all time. From the picturesque surroundings of the Shire to the upcoming expansion to Moria, the most fearsome underground realm ever imagined, players will experience the world of Middle-earth as never before. LOTRO is available for purchase at major retailers across North America and Europe. For more information or to download a free trial, visit www.lotro.com or www.lotro-europe.com.