OnRPG Weekly News Roundup: Christmas Edition – December 15th – December 22th
By Joshua Temblett (Dontkillmydreams), OnRPG Journalist
Christmas cheer has been spreading this week as many MMORPGs have been putting up their decorations and setting up their events for this big holiday! In this special edition of the weekly news roundup we’re going to look at what a few MMOs will be offering you this festive season. So put your feet up and get a cup of tea as we explore what these magical worlds have to offer.
Guild Wars: Wintersday!
Wintersday is once again upon us! You can find the cities of Kamadan, Lion’s Arch, Ascalon City, Droknar’s Forge, and the Eye of the North dressed in wonderful Christmas decorations. If you own the game then you really do owe it to yourself to check out the cities as they truly do look beautiful.
Here’s a rundown of the events on offer:
– 8v8 ATS-style Snowball Tournaments!
– Holiday quests in Lion’s Arch, Kamadan, and the Eye of the North! Certain quest chains returning from previous years involve beloved (and rare) holiday-themed animals.
– Two repeatable quests set in the Secret Lair of the Snowmen. It’s your choice: help save the Snowmen and all of Wintersday, or lead a group of Grentches for a final “bah, humbug” of the season.
– Venture into the Underworld for a series of repeatable snowball fights against the forces of Grenth or the followers of Dwayna. Seize control of piles of presents to claim victory for your side in this frosty fray!
– Embrace the old adage “it is better to give than to receive” at the city event games in Lion’s Arch and Kamadan. Deliver presents to the children before the Grentches ruin Wintersday. You never know, the little urchins might reward you with something special for your generosity!
– Collectors will once again exchange items for Wintersday consumables in Kamadan, Lion’s Arch, Ascalon City, Droknar’s Forge, and the Eye of the North.
– More snowball mayhem in the form of PvP snowball fights! Random forces unite within an arena to fight for either Grenth or Dwayna. The first team to gather five presents for its patron deity wins the day. Will Grenth have his way and plunge the world into eternal winter, or will Dwayna be able to melt enough hearts to bring about an early thaw? You’ll have the final say!
Find more information on the Wintersday event page. Have a nice Wintersday! Hopefully this celebration will take your mind off the far away, Guild Wars 2.
Final Fantasy XI: The Starlight Celebration
There are some wonderful decorations up in Vana’diel this year, and there’s also some pretty awesome events! You can get “Dream Robes” from attack Christmas boxes and you can special sweets that’ll boost your stats for doing good deeds! Here are some of the wonderful events you can partake in during the Starlight Celebration:
Take Your Joviality to the Max-Introducing the Smilebringer Boot Camp!
Upon the commencement of this year’s Starlight Celebration, “Smile Sergeant” NPCs will descend upon the land with the mission to scout for future smilebringers among adventurers. Do you have the grit and gaiety to make it as a smilebringer? Talk to a smile sergeant and take part in the Smilebringer Boot Camp training to find out! The training will be available in three difficulty levels-beginner, intermediate, and advanced-with each offering different rewards.
– Beginner: East Ronfaure (G-6) / South Gustaberg (I-7) / East Sarutabaruta (G-11)
– Intermediate: La Theine Plateau (K-8) / Konschtat Highlands (I-6) / Tahrongi Canyon (I-6)
– Advanced: Batallia Downs (K-8) / Rolanberry Fields (I-6) / Sauromugue Champaign (F-6)
*To take part in the Smilebringer Boot Camp located in a particular area, players must be in possession of the corresponding magical map.
Lend the Moogles a Capable Adventurer’s Hand!
The moogles are recruiting enthusiastic adventurers to help them distribute presents and greeting cards. Munificent individuals interested in helping out are invited to approach a festival moogle at one of the following locations:
– Southern San d’Oria (H-9) / Northern San d’Oria (J-8)
– Bastok Markets (G-8) / Bastok Mines (I-8)
– Windurst Woods (H-11) / Windurst Waters (north side) (F-9)
Presents in Exchange for Destructive Behavior!
To show their appreciation to all the tireless adventurers out there doing their part to make Vana’diel a better place, the moogles have prepared a whole hoard of presents and scattered them all over the locations listed below. As a precautionary measure to ensure that none of the creatures prowling the wilds can get to them, the presents have each been sealed within a box…and there’s only one way to get them out!
– West Ronfaure / East Ronfaure
– North Gustaberg / South Gustaberg
– West Sarutabaruta / East Sarutabaruta
The Gift of a Child’s Laughter!
During the event period, smilebringers will be handing out presents to all the children in town from the locations listed below. Won’t you help them make the children’s dreams come true?
– North San d’Oria (J-9)
– Bastok Mines (I-9)
– Windurst Waters (north side) (F-5)
Festive Goods for Sale!
Vendors will be available at the following locations to fulfill all your Starlight Celebration needs:
– Northern San d’Oria (D-8)
– Port Bastok (L-8)
– Windurst Waters (north side) (G-10)
– Upper Jeuno (G-7)
The Starlight Celebration will begin at 8:00am on Friday, December 18, 2009 (GMT) and continue until 3:00pm on Thursday, December 31, 2009 (GMT).
Wizard 101: Yuletide Festival
“Twas the night before Yuletide
and all through the city.
There were candies and trees
and decorations so pretty.
Felix selling clothes
to all good girls and boys
New fancy robes,
and wands made from toys.
Merle and the teachers,
to celebrate this Yule
Wish happy holidays to all,
and to all a good duel.”
World of Warcraft: Winter Veil
The world of Warcraft (see what I did there?) has been invaded with Christmas cheer! Greatfather Winter is visiting most of the game’s major cities, so you had better make sure you’re being good and getting on his nice list! It’s not just the citizens of the world getting into the Christmas mood though as some of the bosses of Northrend have put on some fancy hats which you can gain by defeating them!
Winter Veil bosses of Northrend:
– Grand Magus Telestra (The Nexus) – Red Winter Hat
– Jedoga Shadowseeker in (Ahn’Kahet: The Old Kingdom – Red Winter Hat
– Mage-Lord Urom in (The Oculus) – Green Winter Hat
It’s not just battle armour you should prepare for this Christmas event, you should also get your kissing lips out, as who knows what will happen if you /kiss a reveler who just so happens to be standing near a spring of mistletoe. There is so much more going on WoW this holiday season, such as gift-giving, snowballs and snowmen!
Warhammer Online: Keg End
“The wheel of the seasons has turned, ushering out the sun’s last warmth with bitter blasts of northern winds. As snow creeps down to block mountain passes and lock the Warhammer world in the icy talons of winter, the citizens of the Old World raise their mugs high; the time of Keg End is at hand. In an epic celebration fraught with boasting, toasting, and epic fireworks, the Dwarfs clear out their stores of ales, beers and other intoxicating beverages in order to bring luck in the New Year and make way for a stock of better, stronger brews.”
There’s certainly a lot going on in the world of Warhammer this holiday! I think the phrase that adeptly describes this event is: “Keg End is here, with the mud and the blood and the beer!”
Make sure you check out the Keg End festival in Warhammer, just make sure you’re prepared for some heads to fly.
Champions Online: Attack of the Misfit Toys!
“Tis the season for spreading good will and good cheer,
And to celebrate the holidays, The Toymaster’s here!
He stands with his toys in Renaissance Center
With missions and presents for all who will enter.
This year the season has a sinister addition
As Black Harlequin starts up his own Yule tradition.
His holidays are all about grand escapades.
But this one may leave our heroes dismayed.
Black Harlequin likes to make toys that play rough
And the Toymaster’s shop simply has too much fluff.
So the villain “improved” all the toys that were there
He even built Clarence, a HUGE teddy bear!
He worked through the night, right up until dawn
And when the sun rose, like a flash he was gone
The snow started falling, the season was nigh
And boxes appeared on streets low, and roofs high…
Join the Champions in defending Millennium City from the Attack of the Misfit Toys.”
This super special holiday event has you chasing around the Black Harlequin to save the day! There are lots of rewards, so don’t be dismayed!
Final Fantasy XIV: Now Accepting Beta Applications!
Finally, here’s some none Christmas news for you MMORPG fans! Square-Enix is now taking beta applications for their new MMORPG, Final Fantasy XIV! So make sure to send off your application today!
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers: Releases on the 26th!
I am a huge fan of the Crystal Chronicles games, so I really can’t wait to get my hands on this Wii exclusive!!! The game is released on the 26th December in North America and February 5th, 2010 in Europe. Whilst the Crystal Bearers is distinctly average, if you’re looking for a fun Wii game this holiday season that’s packed to the brim with adventure, make sure you pick this gem! Interested? Check out the official website!
Final Fantasy XIII: Game Released in Japan!
On with Final Fantasy news! Final Fantasy XIII was released this week in Japan and it sold incredibly well! The game managed 1.1 million sales one day! The Playstation 3 also received a sales boost, as over 240,000 plus consoles were brought this week! Well done Square and Sony!
Well, that’s it for this week! I wish you all a Merry Christmas!!! I hope you have a fun time relaxing, watching TV (if you live in England remember to catch the Doctor Who Christmas Special), and gaming. I hope you enjoy spending your time with your loved ones, have a truly wonderful Christmas! I’ll try to, although the writers and workers of Onrpg.com never stop working to make sure that every day for you, feels like a special holiday.
Merry Christmas! We wish you good luck with sneaking a kiss underneath the mistletoe!