Intel announced today that the Intel World Open Tournament will take place in Tokyo, ahead of the Olympic Summer Games next year, to showcase the influence and excitement of esports. A part of this tournament will be Street Fighter V, and qualifiers will kick off in Early 2020. Any player, at any skill level can compete for a shot at joining their national team.
A live qualifier event in Katowice, Poland in June will determine which teams will advance to the championship esports tournament in Tokyo from July 22 – 24, leading into the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. The final live event will take place in Tokyo, at the Zepp DiverCity venue, in the central Olympic Games area. Champions representing their nation will be crowned in two different tournaments featuring leading esports titles, Street Fighter V and Rocket League. The prize pool? A staggering 250,000 dollars.
- National Qualifiers: 12 countries are pre-selected to form national teams. The national qualifiers will begin March and determine each country’s four best players who will come together and form the national team of that country. The national qualifiers will last four to eight weeks, and there will be no limit on the number of participants. Once the final national teams form, they advance to Poland in June for the semi-finals.
- Regional Qualifiers: Players outside of the 12 pre-selected national team countries can participate through the regional qualifier process that will take place between March and May. Eight teams will advance to the semi-finals in Poland through the regional qualifier process.
- Live Qualifier in Katowice, Poland: The final qualifier will be held in June in Katowice, Poland and feature four days of team events. 20 teams will compete in a group stage qualifier to determine the strongest team from the Americas, EEMEA and APEC regions. The final seven teams will join the Japanese team in the finals in Japan.
- Tokyo Final Event: The main event takes place in July 22-24, 2020 at the Zepp DiverCity venue where qualifying teams will participate in a two-day, winner take all tournament. The overall winners will claim the majority share of the $250,000 USD prize pool.
- Additional Details: Further information on the tournament will be announced in October.