The first major content update for Risk of Rain 2 is called “Scorched Acres”, and is now live in game. It offers new content to the Risk of Rain universe, and best of all – it’s free for owners of Risk of Rain 2. This update adds a new stage, Survivor, and boss, along with items, equipment and some useful quality of life changes, which are based on community feedback. REX is the new survivor, and is a symbiotic life form, between plant and robot. Its kit can be seen below:
- Passive: Abilities apply WEAKEN, a debuff which reduces enemy armor, movement speed and damage.
- Primary Fire: Fires three syringes in quick succession. The third syringe applies WEAKEN and heals REX.
- Secondary Fire: REX sacrifices its own health to launch a seedpod mortar. Aims at a distant location and lands after a brief delay for huge damage.
- Mobility: Launches REX backward and shoves all nearby enemies away and applies WEAKEN to them.
- Ultimate: REX sacrifices its own health to fire a flower that PULLS all nearby enemies and ROOTS them.
We also have a list of the new features in the game:
- New Boss – The Grovetender: The Grovetender is a hook-throwing caretaker of wisps found only in its home of Scorched Acres. The Grovetender will fire a giant barrage of seeking wisps that detonate on contact and occasionally fire a burst of hooks from its masks that pull in any survivor it hits. And yes, there is a new song to welcome in this terrifying new boss.
- New Stage – Scorched Acres: Scorched Acres takes place at sunset in a mysterious installation in the woods, filled with smog from the surrounding nearby fires. As the new alternate third stage to the snow map Rallypoint Delta, Scorched Acres houses a new monster called the Clay Templar and the new boss, the Grovetender.
- New Enemy Affix – Malachite: Malachite enemies can now spawn in later difficulties as high-tier elites. Malachite enemies possess a number of unique abilities, such as temporarily disabling player healing.
- New Items, Equipment, Drones and More: An arsenal of new items and equipment is now at players’ disposal. This includes two new drones, the Equipment Drone and the Incinerator Drone; Category Chests; six new items, such as the Old Guillotine and the Little Disciple; and three new types of equipment such as the Spinel Tonic.
- Community Suggested Changes: Quality-of-life improvements suggested by the community have been implemented. This includes the HUD now displaying the current stage count and flashing health bars when the player reaches a critical health state.