Thread: 5.1 Surround Sound help

A Shrubbery Reputation: 10

Default 5.1 Surround Sound help

Hey guys. I recently picked up 5.1 Logitech X-530 surround sound speakers from my friend who moved.

There weren't any instructions or cds given to me so I assumed I could just plug in everything, change the audio settings to 5.1 surround sound and bam.

Unfortunately, right now, only my front right (the one with the power and volume control) works. I have a Realtek Ac 97 audio card and am currently downloading the latest driver for it.

Are there any tips/help you can give me? Is it my soundcard or anything hardware related?

Normally there is a green plug for speakers, I got a green, black and yellow plug. On my computer I have a green, pink and blue input. I'm going to guess that this is my problem, and that I need to get new hardware?

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 23

O.o can you give screenie of input?

usually its cause of incorrect plugs unless your computers so old that it won't support the setup

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 47

Check to see if your soundcard is indeed 5.1. If it isn't then you'll need to buy a new sound card that is. Most modern motherboards come with some form of 5.1 surround sound. Also I believe that the x-530 has built in ability to play the sound on all the speakers even if you only have the green one plugged in. Also you have to enable 5.1 surround sound as well as dolby prologic II if you use dolby software which upconverts 2.1 and stereo sound to all your speakers.

A Shrubbery Reputation: 10

My computer is pretty old, 5 years and counting I believe? It wasn't even top-notch back then, either.

I assumed that Realtek Ac 97 was my soundcard, but I was mistaken. I will check later what my sound card actually is and whether or not it supports 5.1.

Dumb question, how would I take a picture of the input lol? You mean, take a shot of the plugs in the back of my computer or?

Also, I have Xp. I go to sound settings and such, and turn my speakers to 5.1 surround sound. However, I still only get sound from my front right speaker. I do not have dolby software. Is it something I could download, and that may be able to change it so I can hear it from all speakers?

EDIT: After doing some messing around, I found that occasionally I will get sound from my left and sometimes from all of my speakers. I move the subwoofer a bit and I get maybe 2 seconds of sound from all my speakers then it just goes back to my right. At first I was delusional but I actually do get sound from my other speakers! I do not know if this is a hardware problem, my previous speakers were already crappy and some wiring was coming out, I could only get sound from my speaker with volume control and again, occassionally the left one would work; I assumed it was just because it was so crappy.

Sorry for the double post. My surround sound will work when wants to. I am listening to music through 4 of the 5 speakers, left one is not working. For a second it went back to the front right only and now I'm back to 4 speakers.

Anyone know what's up?