Thread: All the hype on Visual Basic

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

Default All the hype on Visual Basic

And when I say hype, I mean negative hype. I have seen some pretty decent MMORPG's created with Visual Basic 6. Production time is a lot less than say Java or C++, but then again it isn't as flexible and powerful as those 2 languages. So why do a lot of game programmers put down Visual Basic? I haven't used it before, but it seems decent enough for game development by its first impression on me.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

It's that whole "I'm cooler than you"-thing. They don't think that Visual Basic is "hardcore" enough. I say just do what you're happy with.

-Bryan-

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

The "Basic" language is essentially considered a beginner's language, so many experienced programmers look down on it as a 'quick-fix' to programming. Such a view is entirely incorrect -- programming IS programming -- but such viewpoints do exist.

MP pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you like the language, it serves you well, and it can produce what you want, then by all means: use it!

Remember that you're programming to create something neat, not to appease other coders.