Thread: OnRPG Podcast 1: TERA Politics and P2P Cash Shops

General Manager Reputation: 578

All good ideas. It's always been one of my biggest questions though whether it's better to change a title once posted to something more appropriate to gain better search results, or to leave it as is and lose that benefit but keep the links on the social networks working properly (as changing the name at OnRPG also changes the URL and breaks anyone already linking to it).

I'll go ahead and change the name on the forums and on Youtube though. No harm in that.

I wonder if anyone on this panel has played LOTRO. Could you share any specific example of how they do it better? Also would you be interested in being our guest speaker on a future episode?
    I’d rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

You would know where you're going if you didn't skip the cutscenes, a$$hole! - Ragachak

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Skyrim Remastered (and uber modded), Senran Kagura Estival Versus
    History: Shadowverse, Battleborn, Herowarz, Pokemon Go, Stardew Valley, Blade & Soul, Elsword, Dragon Ball Xenoverse FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 131

Basically the way it's done in LotRO is you have access to all quests in the starting zones(Three of them.) as well as some adjacent zones. You earn the games equivalent of cash shop bux(Turbine Points) through deeds, which are basically achievements. That can be used to purchase individual zones full of questing content, expansions, mounts, cosmetic gear, etc(There are some items that can be bought for permanent stat increases, but those can also be found in-world.). OR! You can circumvent everything by just have a $15/month sub(Costs less per month with higher plans, etc(Sadly, expansions are still required for their content but can still be bought with the points.).). While still having access to the cash shop. It's far from a "perfect" model but it's probably the best available. If a little overtly complicated.

I'd have to get back to you on that other point. I'm desperately trying to find a job and I've got a few promising things lined-up.