Thread: Anyone else get upset from this?

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

Default Anyone else get upset from this?

When people call a game an "asian grinder" or something similar. They literally play the game for 5 minutes and then write a review saying the game has nothing in it putting it down. TO me this is a form of trolling and should not be tolerated on the MMO gaming websites.

This has been going for a long time. Been playing MMO's for 15 years.... And F2P really hit big around Maple Story/Ragnarok Online in the United States. That was many years ago... Since then, a lot of people just call these types of games "asian grinders" and put them down because a lot of the game is killing monsters. Why is it that a large community likes these games? I love going around and killing stuff, finding loot, finding random items, maybe for crafting, or maybe just to sell to the vendor.

It really makes me upset seeing a lot of people just instantly judging a game without understanding this type of game.

Lothia's Lurker Reputation: 36

Well, most still are korean grinders, eusheusheushe.

You can notice it on the lack of design. The combat that is the same in every single one of them. For instance; level 2 skill = dual slash, and they give it a fancy name on each game, but it's still the exact same skill. The interface looks so outdated and similar in each. You end up fighting the same monsters with rarely anything different to them, or they give you the same monster as boss, name it elite and make it look bigger.

It's not a matter of being an Asian grinder, it's just a straight on fact that people draw similarities between them and give them a tag.

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

WEll, the korean grinder title has nothing to do with crappy skill design. In this case, its just a bad game.

There are games based around grinding that are really good.

Example:

Archlord

Pro's:

Aoe Grinding is a lot of fun.
    Auction house available right out of your inventory
    Random item system (Like Diablo 2)
    Good graphics (Keep in mind it was made a long time ago)
    Castle Sieges
    Open world PvP
    A good economy which involves the cash shop. You can easily get cash shop stuff from players

Cons:

No widescreen support
    Click to move with a very bad WASD implementation (Personal preference, some like click to move)
    Gender locked classes

This is ONE example.... Ok, look at the pro's and con's.... It seems like a fun game in its essence, but the technical stuff like no widescreen support and clunky controls make it annoying. But in a review by the majority, they will just call this game an asian grinder. It happens to be a good game, but needs polish. (But never got it)

The counterpart to this derrogative (to me) is if I just reviewed WoW and called it "Just another theme park garbage"..... Where in that statement can you get an idea of what Im talking about or what the game has to offer? It might be a theme park style MMO, but it offers more.

I love MMO's, I love discussing them, reviewing them, and playing them. I want to hear what you all think.