Thread: "The World" Would NOT Make a Great Game

Banned Reputation: 10

Excellent rant? That was crap.

He didn't even acknowledge anything about "The World". He just said LOL GENERIC.

People often fantasize about a .Hack virtual MMORPG. Also, the writer is out of touch with reality if he thinks Oculus Rift is going to be able to offer anything like The World.

He should have mentioned something about The World if he wanted to call it generic crap. It seems like if it were an actual game, it has pretty interesting classes & armor design, a cool player killer system, etc. I'm not a huge fan of .Hack or anything, I've just seen Sign and the OVA series, but still.

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

Quote Originally Posted by Poyomon View Post
    Excellent rant? That was crap.

He didn't even acknowledge anything about "The World". He just said LOL GENERIC.

People often fantasize about a .Hack virtual MMORPG. Also, the writer is out of touch with reality if he thinks Oculus Rift is going to be able to offer anything like The World.

He should have mentioned something about The World if he wanted to call it generic crap. It seems like if it were an actual game, it has pretty interesting classes & armor design, a cool player killer system, etc. I'm not a huge fan of .Hack or anything, I've just seen Sign and the OVA series, but still.
    The article is aimed at people who already know about The World. Me telling them all about it would just be redundant. I said that everything The World has, is already available in the games of today and it does not work out the way people envision it. Why? Because they mistake the awesome player relationships (the story of the anime) for the game itself. They think, if people in a fictional anime series can have amazing fun in it, and meet great friends, I could to if The World was real.

The only thing that is unique about The World that has not been done (At least not exactly) is the crystal system, where you can enter combinations of keywords. While that is a pretty neat feature, it does not take away from the fact that the rest of the stuff in The World, including the combat system, isn't very good or new. Maybe new at the time of the first anime series creation, but not any longer. Also, I'm inclined to believe that the combat in The World is similar to what you find in the PS2 games, rather than what you see in the anime. The anime is just shows a dramatization of what the combat system really is. In the (fictional) reality, The World is played with a controller.

In regards to the Oculus rift, on the path =/= already there. I said, "as we are already on the path to achieving high quality virtual reality headsets that deliver high quality graphics with motion sensing thanks to the Oculus Rift." And, honestly, for all we know, the VR goggles in the first iteration of The World could offer the same quality as the Oculus Rift would. The anime never goes into detail about how realistic or high quality the VR experience is, because that wasn't the focus of the anime. The focus was on the relationships between people who are playing MMOs, and their reasons for playing.

Again, the animes are dramatizations of what it's really like. In the anime, it shows these characters walking around and interacting with the world in a way that gives the impression it's Sword Art Online-type virtual reality. But, it's really just someone wearing some VR goggles and using what looks like a PS2 controller (and with the World R2, what looks like some very high-tech VR glasses and a small PSP-like device).

I've watched all the series, I've played a majority of the games, I've read as much extra information as I could get my hands on, I've read the manga, and I've even read a lot of fan fiction. I used to be in the school of thought that The World would be amazing and I wished it were a real MMO. If you look far enough into my created threads, you will see one or two threads on The World and how much I wish it were real. However, I've come to realize that what I wanted was the awesome adventures that the character had. And I wanted the awesome VR experience (which wasn't really all that awesome, just goggles and a controller and integrated voice chat). You can get the awesome adventures and friendships from any game, and the VR stuff is coming sooner rather than later now.

I'm not saying ALL people who want The World want it because they are misunderstanding what it really is, but a lot of people I've talked to are that way. Which is why I decided to write this rant thread. There was a thread where someone wanted to have a real "The World" MMO, which kinda planted the seed. And then a series of discussions with various people later and I needed to type up a short rant.

Edit: I would also like to stress that this rant is my opinion. It's not meant to be the end-all-say-all on the topic of The World. It is a rant and a discussion starter. It has accomplished both its purposes.

General Manager Reputation: 578

One wall o text serving on order. Rebuttal?
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

You would know where you're going if you didn't skip the cutscenes, a$$hole! - Ragachak

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Skyrim Remastered (and uber modded), Senran Kagura Estival Versus
    History: Shadowverse, Battleborn, Herowarz, Pokemon Go, Stardew Valley, Blade & Soul, Elsword, Dragon Ball Xenoverse FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research