Thread: Hard Drive question

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 198

Default Hard Drive question

ok, so the question I have is: If I installed something on a HDD because the SSD had no room, am I able to run that installed program through my SSD? My SSD is the main drive and the HDD is there for storing and installing purposes. Reason because I recently re-installed Aion, but the game takes up like 30+ GB of space...and my SSD doesn't have room (it has about 50GB of 120GB free atm). So I installed the game on my HDD, which has about 400GB of space.

If I launch the game, will it run from my SSD? or my HDD? Is it possible to tell the program to execute from my SSD? I know the game will suffer a performance hit because the HDD is considerably slower than the SSD (reason why I got a SSD in the first place). Can anyone help me with this? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 61

The game will run from whatever location is was installed to.
    If the files are on the HDD then it will run on the HDD if it is on the SSD then it will run on the SSD.
    It has to access the files from where ever they were installed and that determines things like loading times based on the hard drives read and write speeds.
    You cannot tell the program to run on the solid state drive because the files are not on the solid state drive.
    The only performance hit you should suffer are loading times.
    The only other benefit from an SSD for gaming is if you record at very high resolution and frame rate with RAW data which requires a very fast dedicated Raid 0 setup or solid state drive to write the large files to.