+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mini-towers? [investing into a new PC]

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 129

Default Mini-towers? [investing into a new PC]

TL;DR: What are your educated opinions on mini-towers/box towers? Also, how hard are they to build?
    I'd really appreciate some advice after reading all of this thread though.

About three years ago, I got a nice (overpriced) gaming laptop that is still in great condition just for the sake of keeping myself entertained while I went through a lot of transitions in my life. I really didn't expect it to make it this far, but it's a tough little thing.

I'm thinking about selling this thing for like $500-700 (if possible) and investing in a mini-tower that is stronger than this laptop, not as loud, and still mobile. I'm also going to be buying a macbook soon for all my multimedia projects, so this is a big purchase altogether that I plan on making.

I always come to this side of the forums because there are some really computer-savvy people who can steer me in the right direction as I begin to budget this.

So I guess my main questions right now are:
    What are the bad sides of having a mini tower? How much should I be looking to spend on something like this?

Here are my relevant laptop specs:
    • Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M
    • Motherboard It's shits and I honestly dont even know. I'm surprised it made it this far
    • RAM 16303 MB
    • Hard Drive 1TB

I play games like ESO just fine, but even wildstar I have to turn down a bit. It's really odd.

Here is a list of things that I want from this mini-tower desktop:
    • Play upcoming big titles like Fallout 4 without a problem.
    • Play games like Black Desert (and other things designed for monster PCs) at a pretty high, but not perfect, level.
    • Silence. My laptop is so damn loud. I dont mind a slight buzz, but a full throttle fan is too much.
    • Endurance. I want this to be a long-ended invested.
    • Nice video streaming, but that will come with any PC purchase over $700 imo

Example of what I'm talking about:
    https://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/chronos/

Edit: I'm not sure if I want to build one if it's too hard, but I'm open to the idea.

Retired Staff Reputation: 733

You won't sell that laptop for 500.

Minitowers have generally worse cooling and upgrade ability (talking about amount of slots/connections rather than 'new stuff').
    Now, how 'mini', 'budget' and 'silent' are we talking about here?

(I'm a bit vague since I CBA much lately... also a bit out of the loop since this tech section is rather dead..)

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    I should update this but all my effort went into writing this lousy excuse.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 129

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    That's more because of the brand. If he has an Acer running a 770m, he might be lucky it even gets sold.
    In the end, getting it sold wouldn't be a big deal. It would just be nice if that's possible.

The box doesn't have to a completely silent box of power. It's just this fan on my laptop is a pain. I'm getting sick of having to wear earphones, haha.

Retired Staff Reputation: 733

So if the fans only really spin up while gaming, it should be fine?
    I could notch it up to a GPU with an AIO waterblock or one that you can add afterwards (depends on GPU) but that'll obviously increases the price. It'll also lowers the temperatures considerably. The main issues are the ITX cases. :/
    If the build is still too loud, you always could get silent PWM fans fyi.

You want to stream, so I assume you want an last gen i7, right?

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    I should update this but all my effort went into writing this lousy excuse.

+ Reply to Thread