Thread: Building My Own PC - advise needed

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Building My Own PC - advise needed

Hey Guys

Nice to meet you all!

Wondering if you could help me with the above.
    I had a laptop for around 3 years (lenovo g580), was alright for the time but now since a lot of new games came out with nice graphics i wanted to build something good that could let me enjoy some games on full graphical settings.

Not a HC gamer, just casual. Would like to play on full for games like WOW, Allods, Twin Saga, ASTA etc. Maybe try games like Witcher 3 on low/medium ?

Now i do not want spend an awful lot of money on this and not sure how to tell how much i can actually spend as i am from Poland, so prices will be different than yours.
    So i guess a list of something that seems OK to me (and that i can afford at the same time) would work for a start ? and we shall see how it goes.

1. Processor: Intel CORE i5-4460, 3.2GHz, 6MB, BOX or Intel Pentium G3250, 3.2GHz, 3MB, BOX(will this one work?)
    2. Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 or MSI B85-G43 - not sure how much memory i need
    3. Memory: not sure - probably 8GB (is enough?), DDR 4/3 ?
    4. Video Card: GTX 750 Ti ?
    5. Storage: Would like SSD around 150 gb is enough anything else can go on separate hard drive?
    6. Power Supplies: Corsair VS Series 450W 80PLUS 120mm FAN - do i need any additional coolers?
    7. Case: no idea, probably something cheap

That is pretty much it. Any questions, let me know !

Thank you !!

Lothia's Lurker Reputation: 58

Stick with the 4460. It's a reliable processor that I still recommend for budget builds. Neither of the processors you mentioned supports DDR4, so stick with DDR3. 8GB is plenty for your needs. Higher clock speeds are better. You can usually get 8GB of something like 1833mhz HyperX on sale for 25 USD. As for a case, just make sure that it supports the motherboard you're buying and, optionally, has some nice cable management solutions. Compatibility is important because something like a mini ATX case probably won't support a full ATX motherboard, although the opposite is true.

I'm a big fan of installing the OS on a small SSD and using a HDD for storage. 128GB is plenty for your OS and some essential apps, but games will eat that up quickly. Fortunately, HDDs are cheap and you can snag a 1TB drive for >40 USD down the road when you're ready to buy one.

For the sake of longevity, I would suggest upgrading the video card to something like a 1060 or an RX 480. Your build will be able to play most games like the Witcher 3 on high to ultra settings for ~75 USD more. However, I would also recommend an aftermarket CPU cooler to replace the stock CPU cooler that comes with your i5. A Hyper 212 Evo is 25 USD, and it's still one of the best air coolers out there. Given the choice between the upgraded video card and the aftermarket cooler, I would suggest that you stick with the 750ti and buy the cooler. The 750ti is a great choice for a budget build and it will serve you well.

Hi Manic

Thank you so much for your feedback !!!

Yeah, 1060 or an RX 480 have crazy prices... maybe in the future i can afford one of these :P

Will do as you said and post final list once i put everything together.

Thank you !

42 Reputation: 26

Probably should attempt to see if you can manage for a rx 480. In the long run it'll be better.

Hi Genox

Unfortunately cannot afford that at the moment

Guys will this one work? -it is aftermarket but originally bought in 2015.
    Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti StormX 1GB GDDR5 (128 Bit), VGA, DVI, mHDMI (NE5X75T01301F)

Thanks !!