+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: list of Free to play mmorpgs with few paywalls, or grind to unlock all content?

  1. #1
    Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 15
    mindfray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    171
    Rep Power
    12

    Default list of Free to play mmorpgs with few paywalls, or grind to unlock all content?

    I know this might be a lot to ask. But i would appreciate if someone could list off all the good mmorpgs that are free to play, that don't have limted content or majority of things locked behind paywalls,

    On the other hand if you can grind gameplay to unlock everything the game has to offer besides cosmetics, then please list them.
    thanks.

  2. #2
    Game List Master Reputation: 251
    chaoscauser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Posts
    5,108
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mindfray View Post
    I know this might be a lot to ask. But i would appreciate if someone could list off all the good mmorpgs that are free to play, that don't have limted content or majority of things locked behind paywalls,

    On the other hand if you can grind gameplay to unlock everything the game has to offer besides cosmetics, then please list them.
    thanks.
    MapleStory Reboot server you can grind for everything

  3. #3
    Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10
    Lord_Darmon_The_9th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chaoscauser View Post
    MapleStory Reboot server you can grind for everything
    Grind for pets?

  4. #4
    Hoshigami Reputation: 436
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,408
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    I always like to toss out BDO and Warframe. Everything important you need can be earned over time through in game means.

    In Warframe's case, you will need to use platinum, a paid currency, to increase inventory slots eventually, but you can earn platinum through trading rare mods/equipment/resources/etc.

    Path of Exile is always constantly praised for being CS independent as well.

    BDO you just grind for money and buy things like pets from the AH or be around for events and get em for free.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate on Nintendo Switch Dec 7th 2018.

  5. #5
    Game List Master Reputation: 251
    chaoscauser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Posts
    5,108
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Darmon_The_9th View Post
    Grind for pets?
    At 170 you can get carried at the boss hard hilla which can drop a pet box you can also get one from the Ursus boss raid. You start with a free snail on every character you make in Reboot. You also have the 7 day puffram from tots know how guide. If a burning event is going on you can get 2 snails one from the event and one for making a new burning character.

  6. #6
    Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10
    Galash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    For a weird reason i can't start any threads so i'll use this since i'm looking for something similar. So nostalgia kicked me in the face real hard and my gaming laptop is broken at the moment so i'm stuck with a macbook pro and i'm looking for some 8 bit - 16 bit mmorpg with little to no paywall or grind as OP said. I wanted to get NEStalgia and Kingdom of Loot but they both are for Windows only, i'm stuck playing with emulators FFTA, FFVI and such, i'm looking for something like Ecol Tactics (shutdown) or Final Fantasy Tactics A2, or just something around those lines that is an MMORPG and that i can play on MAC OS X, if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

    Regarding OP you can try Dofus Touch or Wakfu, those are the games i always recommend since they are the only MMORPG's i see myself coming back to on and off throughout the years.

  7. #7
    Hoshigami Reputation: 436
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,408
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galash View Post
    For a weird reason i can't start any threads so i'll use this since i'm looking for something similar. So nostalgia kicked me in the face real hard and my gaming laptop is broken at the moment so i'm stuck with a macbook pro and i'm looking for some 8 bit - 16 bit mmorpg with little to no paywall or grind as OP said. I wanted to get NEStalgia and Kingdom of Loot but they both are for Windows only, i'm stuck playing with emulators FFTA, FFVI and such, i'm looking for something like Ecol Tactics (shutdown) or Final Fantasy Tactics A2, or just something around those lines that is an MMORPG and that i can play on MAC OS X, if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

    Regarding OP you can try Dofus Touch or Wakfu, those are the games i always recommend since they are the only MMORPG's i see myself coming back to on and off throughout the years.
    Tactical games almost always have some sort of grind to em in some shape or form. I don't know too many that were purely about the mechanics.

    There are a few interesting ones (though not entirely sure all are playable on Mac) like:

    -Duelyst which is fun but has its ups and downs.
    -Card Hunter - Multiplayer PvE/PvP.
    -Atlantica - has a rep for being P2W back in the day, though I don't know how it is now; haven't messed with it in years.

    There there are some old school games like Vantage Master which has a solo campaign and I think a Player vs Player Mode IIRC.

    if you are doing older single player tactical games, you might wanna check out the Mega Man Battle Network (Skip 1 and start with number 2)/Starforce (1 and 3 are good 2 is meh) series. They are Action/Card based games but fun as hell.

    Some retro style games that are fun but not exactly tactical you might like:
    Tangledeep - Turn Based Roguelike, has interesting mechanics/classes.
    Wayward - Survival Roguelike. Pretty sure it is playable on Mac.
    Cladun X2/Sengoku -Action Roguelike. Lots of customization character/stat wise.
    Cross Code - Action RPG/puzzle/platformer. (pretty sure is Mac compatible).
    Desktop Dungeons (Playable on Mac)

    Hopefully someone will come with some more/better suggestions for you.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate on Nintendo Switch Dec 7th 2018.

  8. #8
    Game List Master Reputation: 251
    chaoscauser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Posts
    5,108
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galash View Post
    For a weird reason i can't start any threads so i'll use this since i'm looking for something similar. So nostalgia kicked me in the face real hard and my gaming laptop is broken at the moment so i'm stuck with a macbook pro and i'm looking for some 8 bit - 16 bit mmorpg with little to no paywall or grind as OP said. I wanted to get NEStalgia and Kingdom of Loot but they both are for Windows only, i'm stuck playing with emulators FFTA, FFVI and such, i'm looking for something like Ecol Tactics (shutdown) or Final Fantasy Tactics A2, or just something around those lines that is an MMORPG and that i can play on MAC OS X, if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

    Regarding OP you can try Dofus Touch or Wakfu, those are the games i always recommend since they are the only MMORPG's i see myself coming back to on and off throughout the years.
    Try now posting a new thread you should be ok

  9. #9
    Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10
    Galash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Tactical games almost always have some sort of grind to em in some shape or form. I don't know too many that were purely about the mechanics.

    There are a few interesting ones (though not entirely sure all are playable on Mac) like:

    -Duelyst which is fun but has its ups and downs.
    -Card Hunter - Multiplayer PvE/PvP.
    -Atlantica - has a rep for being P2W back in the day, though I don't know how it is now; haven't messed with it in years.

    There there are some old school games like Vantage Master which has a solo campaign and I think a Player vs Player Mode IIRC.

    if you are doing older single player tactical games, you might wanna check out the Mega Man Battle Network (Skip 1 and start with number 2)/Starforce (1 and 3 are good 2 is meh) series. They are Action/Card based games but fun as hell.

    Some retro style games that are fun but not exactly tactical you might like:
    Tangledeep - Turn Based Roguelike, has interesting mechanics/classes.
    Wayward - Survival Roguelike. Pretty sure it is playable on Mac.
    Cladun X2/Sengoku -Action Roguelike. Lots of customization character/stat wise.
    Cross Code - Action RPG/puzzle/platformer. (pretty sure is Mac compatible).
    Desktop Dungeons (Playable on Mac)

    Hopefully someone will come with some more/better suggestions for you.
    I appreciate the information, there are some there that i haven't heard of so i'll definitely check them out. I understand sometimes tactical games have some sort of grinding involved, hence why i opt for that genre since the thinking needed and the gameplay experience you can have definitely pays off for the inminent grind. I appreciate the suggestions.

  10. #10
    Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 11

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    atlas reactor is good if you're looking for online tactics game.

  11. #11
    Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 102
    DarkLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,947
    Rep Power
    15

    Cool

    free gift key
    Kritika Online launcher and redeem the code below for 10 Resurrection Stones, a 1-Day Large Relaxing Beverage, and 3 Exp Boost Potions!

    ZZXS-ZKQG-A33X-EMKV

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •