+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A game like Hellgate: London?

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

Default A game like Hellgate: London?

Hey guys,
    Is there any active mmo with features like Hellgate: London? In two words: you have 1st/3rd person shooter camera; different classic classes like ranged dd, melee tank, summoner; great conditions of looting for gears (different rarities); the world is open/instanced with coop and pvp.

Thanks for any suggestions.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 872

not too many games that come to mind. maybe Warframe, or Secret World Legends? i never liked the latter but Warframe is pretty solid. it doesnt exactly use the classes or loot system you're looking for though

42 Reputation: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    not too many games that come to mind. maybe Warframe, or Secret World Legends? i never liked the latter but Warframe is pretty solid. it doesnt exactly use the classes or loot system you're looking for though
    I would say SWL is worse than TSW but it seems to be someone working out. Guess people like the rng loot box.

Warframe gets boring pretty quickly. Though it doesn't lie about what it is. Trading is rather unique. Get a bunch of frames level them up and run through missions until you get everything and trade stuff for platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoX View Post
    I would say SWL is worse than TSW but it seems to be someone working out. Guess people like the rng loot box.
    oh was that game split up into 2 different games? i honestly know nothing about The Secret World lol. all i remember its a 3rd person rpg with a similar horror setting as hellgate :P
    i take it hellgate london completely shut down everywhere now?

edit: just thought of another game with similar vibes. Let it Die
    lol. the game that nobody speaks about anymore after having experienced the horrors of floor 20 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    oh was that game split up into 2 different games? i honestly know nothing about The Secret World lol. all i remember its a 3rd person rpg with a similar horror setting as hellgate :P
    i take it hellgate london completely shut down everywhere now?

edit: just thought of another game with similar vibes. Let it Die
    lol. the game that nobody speaks about anymore after having experienced the horrors of floor 20 and beyond.
    Well it may not be an online game but a game with hell as theme that's soon to be release, you should look up agony. It looks interesting but doesn't seem that scary to me. More just a theme. Though, the people who had to think and design the game...

But yea they are supposedly different games. One is the original, the other is a relaunch with the same engine, graphics, but slightly different combat with a change to payment system. They aren't really too different but the rng loot box and force "action" combat ruins the game along with a force progression wipe. Old accounts still can play the original versions but what's the point of playing a dead game with no support.

Hoshigami Reputation: 445

Warframe has most of that, cept for getting gear as loot. Everything is about getting mods to change up how effective your Frames (classes) play and how effective your weapons are.

Lot of grind and a lot of fun. New players will have plenty to do.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

"Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate on Nintendo Switch Dec 7th 2018.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

I'd just play hellgate
    https://london2038.com/
    group of people bringing it back and they're doing a damn fine job

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

Thanks for the answers, none of the games above have that rpg progression which i am looking for.

About Hellgate reboot - yeah, it looks like an awesome project. But it also seems that it will be released no where near 2020 lol.

And about Warframe - i've recently downloaded it, played about 2-3 hours and was very disappointed. After that time of gaming i could not improve any of my gear or change it. It is too repeatitive and questing is shit I also asked my friends about the game who have high level characters and they told me that if i want to get to their level, it will take me 2 years hehe.
    Last edited by Arkad; 02-24-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Hoshigami Reputation: 445

Quote Originally Posted by Arkad View Post

And about Warframe - i've recently downloaded it, played about 2-3 hours and was very disappointed. After that time of gaming i could not improve any of my gear or change it. It is too repeatitive and questing is shit I also asked my friends about the game who have high level characters and they told me that if i want to get to their level, it will take me 2 years hehe.
    MR is not a measure of power, just one of time spent maxing out items. Everyone who has played a long time will tell you not to rush, because it is not important once you learn how to properly mod your weapons and frames and how to run missions effectively. And you'll burn out.

What MR are they? It doesn't take that long to reach the mid to upper teen MR ranks, where you have access to everything MR locked and it stops being as important to reach. I've known a few people from here to do it with minimal help/guidance, and in a active Clan, you can do it much faster. Depending on how much you play and look into the game, you can reach around MR 20 well with in a year playing on a regular basis and much faster if you know what to do, maybe half that time.

Warframe's missions themselves don't change much, and the grind only gets heavier as you go on, but you really didn't see much of the game in the 2-3 hours you played. Unfortunately, Warframe is not a game you are going to want to to play if you don't like or mind repetition to a certain extent. Then again, I really don't know what game you would enjoy at this point if that's the case.

Your gear itself never improves; the mods you use on it are what improve your weapons/frames. Those mods are usable on other weapons/frames as well, so once you max them out and make new weapons, you'll have access to more powerful stuff with different functions. That's when things start to become a lot more interesting. It doesn't even take that long to start increasing the power of your mods to the point they have a much more significant impact on your gear.

It's up to you though if you want to spend your time on it; it is not for everyone for sure.

Maybe you should check out Defiance. That game has more of a traditional MMO loot grind experience to it.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

"Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate on Nintendo Switch Dec 7th 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkad View Post
    Thanks for the answers, none of the games above have that rpg progression which i am looking for.

About Hellgate reboot - yeah, it looks like an awesome project. But it also seems that it will be released no where near 2020 lol.

Master Rank is about leveling all weapons, gears, frames to max level (30). The faster you level the faster you earn MR exp. You can earn pass the cap before you do the MR challenge. So the more weapon, frames, and pets you have means that much faster. You can only earn MR exp once per cap. This means if you wipe the level to unlock or to change a symbol those exp will not count towards your MR exp.

MR is all about leveling every single thing once and basically having everything. It'll be quick if you learn how to earn platinum to buy exp boost and to buy frames. IO is one of the quickest easiest place to lvl. You'll spend most of your time burning out there.

So your friend saying it'll take years is pretty much a lie but rather it depends on how fast you can level everything once and how fast can you get every thing there is to level in the game. It also have nothing to do with actually killing thing fast either. Those are dependent on mods build (those cards).
    Last edited by GenoX; 02-24-2018 at 06:47 PM.

the first 4-5 days of pretty actively playing Warframe can be a struggle, after that (if you invest in unlocking weapon/warframe slots on the go by spending a little $) you'll be crafting so many weapons and warframes at once that by the time you leveled them all to 30, you'll have another arsenal waiting for you. I dont think its that grindy at all considering how many frames and weapons you have to play with. sure the enemies aren't exactly memorable other than meat chunks that drop loot, but i had great fun customizing my frames and skills to see how effectively i could hunt those meat chunks. (edit: ill have to add that this is how i viewed enemies in hellgate london too. meat chunks that drop loot :P but still satisfying to kill thanks to character skills and customization)

I cant remember how long i played warframe, either 1 or 2 months and reached rank16-18 during that time. one of the rank quests made me almost quit the game, but after i managed to do it there were no big struggles beyond that. I also stopped worrying about my rank completely because the majority of the cool weapons were already unlocked.

edit: (why do i keep editing my posts...)
    I have to say, the reason i think the first 5 days are the struggle period is not because the grind or any gameplay function, its the struggle with how poorly this game explains things to the player. Lot of UI elements could and still can use improvements so that players dont have to resort to wiki's or chat. Countless times i wondered what certain icons ment, or what ayatan treasures are supposed to be, just to give an example. the game does not bother explaining these things and expect you to already know. not to mention that the ayatan treasure window is tucked away in the strangest of places.. your mod facility. For a veteran this may sound like nitpicking, but as a new player this was very overwhelming.

i still think its a wonderful game worth giving a try, the only reason i quit it was because of my personal unhealthy habit of playing games non stop all day till i burn out.
    Last edited by Abhorsen; 02-24-2018 at 09:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread