Thread: Lootbox disappearing!?

42 Reputation: 26

Default Lootbox disappearing!?

So blizzard is removing lootbox. Wonder when will other games comply since it's becoming an requirement...

Game List Master Reputation: 251

LOTRO is adding more..

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 162

Quote Originally Posted by GenoX View Post
    So blizzard is removing lootbox. Wonder when will other games comply since it's becoming an requirement...
    Overwatch had one of the most reasonable ones. Just cosmetics. Obviously money you spend should never be random in its return, but just stating it's interesting that they're making a fairly early move here compared to other companies. Assuming this has to do with the recentish EU law?

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 11

i had no issue with the lootboxes from blizzard, now imagine if the greedy asian games had to remove lootboxes though..
    Last edited by Cela; 08-30-2018 at 12:18 AM.

42 Reputation: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    Overwatch had one of the most reasonable ones. Just cosmetics. Obviously money you spend should never be random in its return, but just stating it's interesting that they're making a fairly early move here compared to other companies. Assuming this has to do with the recentish EU law?
    It's because of the EU law. There is also bunch of bills attempting to pass in US to count lootbox as g a^ m. bl .ing. They have mostly failed to pass. So maybe lootbox will disappear if it does pass. Or if ESRB will count it as 18+ purchase. Unlikely though, since the only thing they did was update it with a tag of In-Game Purchase.

Though, seeing how EA got so much crap from its controversy, it might just be a preemptive move to get away from that pit.
    Last edited by GenoX; 08-30-2018 at 02:24 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 162

Quote Originally Posted by GenoX View Post
    It's because of the EU law. There is also bunch of bills attempting to pass in US to count lootbox as g a^ m. bl .ing. They have mostly failed to pass. So maybe lootbox will disappear if it does pass. Or if ESRB will count it as 18+ purchase. Unlikely though, since the only thing they did was update it with a tag of In-Game Purchase.

Though, seeing how EA got so much crap from its controversy, it might just be a preemptive move to get away from that pit.
    I think it would be a good idea. One obtained from playing are fine, but as I said real money returns should never be random.
    It would likely be one of the few ways a law could easily dam the surge of nickel & diming growth among the industry.

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

There's just one problem with the EU Law... some games won't follow so instead they block the country