+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Chronicles of Spellborn Reborn

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 44

Default The Chronicles of Spellborn Reborn

Heyo everyone! Not sure if anyone remembers this hidden gem, https://spellborn.org/ but it is back and in closed beta. The Chronicles of Spellborn was released over a decade ago and featured an action combat system we hadn't really seen in the MMORPG genre.

Spellborn consisted largely of conventional MMORPG gameplay, in which the player plays a character (avatar), and explores the gameworld in order to gain experience points and advance in level. In exploring the gameworld, the player encounters quests, the most important part of Spellborn's gameplay. The game had about a thousand of these quests. Completing quests was the primary means of earning experience points. Repeatedly killing dolphins ("Grinding" in gaming jargon) to gain levels was not a practical option in Spellborn. Separate from other story-driven quests were the Ancestral Quests, which allowed the player to take the role of a major character in Spellborn's history to accomplish a specific requirement. Players needed to complete certain Ancestral Quests in order to advance their character's story arc.

Spellborn incorporated a first person targeting system. In this system, the player selected an available skill to use, while aiming at the opponent. The player could also use two skills at the same time to create combinations.

In Spellborn the player could choose Humans and Daevis as race, who can become all classes and feature no special advantages or flaws. At character creation the player could also select one of three archetypes, which then spread into three different classes each at level 5. Every class got access to several different skills, which could be used in combat, but due to the Skilldeck system players can only choose between a few at any time. Every skill a character had learned in a career was listed in the skill book. Some skills were unique to certain classes, while others were shared between them. Characters learned new skills as they increased in level. At maximum level a character could also learn the skills of the other archetypes (but not classes) by exploring certain places in the game's setting.

Unlike most games of its type, armor and weapons in Spellborn didn't provide any statistical improvements to the player's character. Instead, they served aesthetic purposes. Players could choose their character's appearance at the beginning of the game, and could change it later by using different items with higher requirements. Players could enhance their gear with Sigils. These enhancements were interchangeable between different items.

Join the Discord and Forums to learn how to join.
    Last edited by couponfork; 05-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 872

surprised i dont remember this game at all, watched some random gameplay and i gotto say im impressed with how the city looked in the video. very atmospheric

Game List Master Reputation: 251

I love how so many old games are being revived , I never did try this out but i will be trying it out now!

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 27

I only tested few hours. It was already dead game and shutted down soon after that. I am interested to again to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    surprised i dont remember this game at all, watched some random gameplay and i gotto say im impressed with how the city looked in the video. very atmospheric
    all of the maps are highly detailed, this game was really something special. Feel free to check it out, small download and no cost.

Quote Originally Posted by chaoscauser View Post
    I love how so many old games are being revived , I never did try this out but i will be trying it out now!
    please come join us testers! we're having a blast but it would be nice to have more people to play with

Quote Originally Posted by Miiksu View Post
    I only tested few hours. It was already dead game and shutted down soon after that. I am interested to again to play.
    come and join us the game is in a better state now than it was back then.

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 27

Quote Originally Posted by couponfork View Post
    all of the maps are highly detailed, this game was really something special. Feel free to check it out, small download and no cost.

please come join us testers! we're having a blast but it would be nice to have more people to play with

come and join us the game is in a better state now than it was back then.
    Can you answer for my questions first?

A. Is there any online servers?
    B. If so can we see each other?
    C. If there is some servers, is it easy to set up?
    D. Is there source code avalailable? and how it will effect to making this game live again.

Quote Originally Posted by Miiksu View Post
    Can you answer for my questions first?

A. Is there any online servers?
    B. If so can we see each other?
    C. If there is some servers, is it easy to set up?
    D. Is there source code avalailable? and how it will effect to making this game live again.
    A: Yes, there is one server currently online. I provided the link to it in the main post.
    B: Yes, you can play with everyone else on the server.
    C: The developer will not be releasing the source code.
    D: No, the source code is not available. There will only be 1 server.

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

No joke, I was thinking about this game just the other day. I remember really liking the freedom in customizing your look and the rotating skillbar combat. The world felt great, shame I never got to progress too far.
    This looks like a unoffical fan project so I'm a little bit worried - did they mention any plan on how to keep the game running? Will it be back to pay to play, or will they complete the never-finished transfer to free to play with microtransactions? Also a bit worried if there's a possibility the game might shutdown because of some legal b*llsh*ttery or something. I'd really hate to have my heart broken again, this game was quite something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardenius View Post
    No joke, I was thinking about this game just the other day. I remember really liking the freedom in customizing your look and the rotating skillbar combat. The world felt great, shame I never got to progress too far.
    This looks like a unoffical fan project so I'm a little bit worried - did they mention any plan on how to keep the game running? Will it be back to pay to play, or will they complete the never-finished transfer to free to play with microtransactions? Also a bit worried if there's a possibility the game might shutdown because of some legal b*llsh*ttery or something. I'd really hate to have my heart broken again, this game was quite something.
    well I'm certainly glad it is back and I posted about it. So, it is being run by an old dev who has the source. It will be run with donations, I do not believe there will be any microtransactions. The plan is to avoid any reason for the game to be shut down, such as microtransactions or a shop or something. Discord may be a great place to ask additional questions. I'm not part of the team at all, just a fellow player 😁

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by couponfork View Post
    well I'm certainly glad it is back and I posted about it. So, it is being run by an old dev who has the source. It will be run with donations, I do not believe there will be any microtransactions. The plan is to avoid any reason for the game to be shut down, such as microtransactions or a shop or something. Discord may be a great place to ask additional questions. I'm not part of the team at all, just a fellow player 😁
    Awesome, hopefully the word spreads around. Already downloaded it and did my best to recreate my old spellcaster. Taking it slow for the moment as I don't have a lot of free time currently, but the game is as charming as I remember it. Miracles really do happen.

Banned Reputation: 10

My friend told me about this chronicles of spellborn reborn and I think this is very interesting that's why I go directly to this site. Thanks!
    electronic components list

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Cardenius View Post
    No joke, I was thinking about this game just the other day. I remember really liking the freedom in customizing your look and the rotating skillbar combat fencing compay charlotte nc. The world felt great, shame I never got to progress too far.
    I thought of the same thing! I love this game since then. I mean, who doesnt love it? This is the game of the gods!

+ Reply to Thread