+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Latest Twitch "Controversy"

NWOrpheus

Question Latest Twitch "Controversy"

So Kotaku ran an article about a clip that was removed from Twitch because a streamer was breastfeeding, and reactions around this. Ultimately, they did say that there was no violation of ToS, because breastfeeding a baby isn't sexual.

Which it's not, at least in my opinion.

Then we had this guy from the comments (I love the response he got though).

I mean, of all the places these "teenage boys" could be going for fap sauce, is it REALLY going to be Twitch? I think that this is indicative of the issue where men over-sexualize women for -everything- they do, and anyone who would fap to a woman breastfeeding is the one that is the problem, and has the problem, not the woman doing what is only natural.

What do you folks think? Did Twitch make the right call?

All opinions are welcome so long as they're not flaming or insulting anyone.

Editor in Chief Reputation: 48

So, Twitch has a "no shirt no service" policy in that you can't broadcast shirtless regardless of your sex. I could see having a knee jerk reaction to breast feeding as being against this policy, but that wasn't the case here, obviously. Twitch's reversal on their stance to say there was no ToS violation was a good thing.

As for what people fap to? I mean, look at Belle Delphine. Watch the comments and chat in female streamer's chat, with or without a web cam. There's an entire subculture of thirsty nerd folk who see female streamers as nothing more than R-rated cam girls. That sexual objectification is something that I am very, very used to and unsurprised by.
    Editor in Chief, OnRPG/MMOHuts
    twitter | twitch

NWOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by MissyS View Post
    So, Twitch has a "no shirt no service" policy in that you can't broadcast shirtless regardless of your sex. I could see having a knee jerk reaction to breast feeding as being against this policy, but that wasn't the case here, obviously. Twitch's reversal on their stance to say there was no ToS violation was a good thing.

As for what people fap to? I mean, look at Belle Delphine. Watch the comments and chat in female streamer's chat, with or without a web cam. There's an entire subculture of thirsty nerd folk who see female streamers as nothing more than R-rated cam girls. That sexual objectification is something that I am very, very used to and unsurprised by.
    I've been in a couple, and while I'm not surprised by it, I'm still disappointed in it. The kneejerk reaction was a fair one though, I think, as the moderator who had it fall in their lap had never had anything like that happen before, and wasn't sure what policy was, so they erred on the side of caution, then took it up the ladder for a decision from someone with a higher pay-grade. I think the decisions made at the end were ultimately right.

The funniest thing about Belle Delphine is that the thirsty guys don't even realize how hard she's trolling them half the time. I get the impression that half the stuff she does is just to see exactly how pathetic some dudes will be. The problem is, the guys then think it justifies them -showing up at her house- and shit like that.

I have 5 younger siblings, all of whom were breastfed. Like, it's just a non-issue to me, but I guess if someone didn't share that experience, maybe that overwhelming taboo that still exists about it drives it into that sexualized territory. As silly as I find it.

Editor in Chief Reputation: 48

I don't think public breastfeeding is as common as it could be. The first time I was "exposed" to someone breastfeeding in a public space (I'm discounting 'breastfeeding rooms' here) was about ... six years ago? And it was a friend I was with.

I was raised an only child, of course, which limited my exposure in-house, but the stigma against public breast feeding was pretty strong in a lot of areas for decades, and the fact it's still an issue today in other areas speaks well enough to how slow public opinion (or rather, public policy) is shifting in favor of breast feeding parents.

I just don't think it's an issue of fapping in this case - because let's face it, people are fapping on the internet all the time, in chat rooms, watching videos and streams and all sorts of nonsense that is plenty non-sexual . . . they just usually have the decency to not say anything.

It's an issue of "indecent exposure," which has never been about what people fap to: it's been about policing bodies.
    Editor in Chief, OnRPG/MMOHuts
    twitter | twitch

+ Reply to Thread