+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Destiny 2 New Light (October release) Most expensive Freemium game?

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 12

Exclamation Destiny 2 New Light (October release) Most expensive Freemium game?

Rambling warning! you have been warned! Here I talk about the proposed upcoming changes to D2 in October and this does not reflect the current build of the game.

So Destiny 2 in October will be rebranded Destiny 2 New Light and will offer the base game, year 1 dlc and access to gambit, pvp, strikes, all planet destinations and other select activities from the past dlc's for free.

Looking into their new business model at first glance its a similar approach to say Guild Wars 2 took but with this weeks blog posts called directors cut we have gleamed more information and started to get a picture of Destiny 2 going forward and how this freemium option will impact the game.

To start of they are retaining the same pricing model for expansions and their annual pass (season pass) they are making changes to the cashshop and how you earn in game currency called bright dust that is used to purchase a select few premium cosmetics that rotate each week they are basically taking the standard f2p games approach attaching it to daily/weekly quests/bountys this way they control/limit how much a player can earn driving more sales of their other premium currency FOMO sales tactics 101 here. (Source explaining the changes: https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/47935 )

Now so far it looks somewhat acceptable given the free 2 play entry point however in the last blog post called directors cut part 3 Luke Smith let slip quite a big change to DLC/Annual pass content:

last year’s Annual Pass, permanently added activities to the game. This year will see events that last for three months and offer new rewards to chase, although at the end of that period, some of the activities will go away. For a time, the rewards will too. But we also acknowledge that part of playing Destiny is collecting all of the stuff, so in future seasons the weapons and Legendary armor associated with these seasonal activities will be added to other reward sites. Source: https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48072
    So they are going with another FOMO f2p game tactic a season that has limited timed event and activities that goes away at the end of the season, again in a f2p game this is acceptable, but this is not free this is content Bungie will be charging for as part of the annual pass! For example last year they released a DLC called Black Armory that added a new endgame activity called forges what Luke Smith is saying is that at the end of the season they would remove the forges and in turn access to that loot pool they provided!

(I understand this is a move to also keep the D2 install size down as its massive and at breaking point)

It seems that Bungie's plan for Destiny 2 year 3 is to monetize it like a f2p game release timed limited content like a f2p but charge for that content like a standard game and I personally think this is not acceptable if you purchase DLC you should always have access to that content this just shows how money focused and anti-consumer these big developers/publishers have become when a game in its third year shift to fear of missing out type of systems to drive up players time spent in game so in turn they can push micro transactions.

Well thats my thoughts on the changes coming to the Destiny franchise as it moves into a f2p/freemium model.
    Last edited by Kelador; 08-17-2019 at 10:23 AM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 882

it all sounds a little vague to me, i thought bungie splitting up with activision would make them less greedy. i guess i was wrong lol
    but then again, i had my fun in destiny2, i just quit around the endgame content because this is not the kind of game i feel like sticking around in just to upgrade my gear with a bunch of meaningless numbers every week. (in my time playing i felt like light level or equiplevel had absolutely 0 impact on the difficulty of the game, if anything.. it kept the difficulty the same troughout the game by keeping it up to date since i felt like not you, but the monsters got stronger every time you level up. something is just fishy about it)

anyway ill probably just give it another shot for the eyecandy and gunplay when the next expansion hits

edit: looks like 99% of their playerbase is pissed off about it lol https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Pos...?sort=0&page=0
    Last edited by Abhorsen; 08-17-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    it all sounds a little vague to me, i thought bungie splitting up with activision would make them less greedy. i guess i was wrong lol
    but then again, i had my fun in destiny2, i just quit around the endgame content because this is not the kind of game i feel like sticking around in just to upgrade my gear with a bunch of meaningless numbers every week. (in my time playing i felt like light level or equiplevel had absolutely 0 impact on the difficulty of the game, if anything.. it kept the difficulty the same throughout the game by keeping it up to date since i felt like not you, but the monsters got stronger every time you level up. something is just fishy about it)

anyway ill probably just give it another shot for the eyecandy and gunplay when the next expansion hits

edit: looks like 99% of their player base is pissed off about it lol https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Pos...?sort=0&page=0
    Yeah the change to how the DLC are being added to the game and how he vaguely dropped that info into his blog post has upset lots of people They have said they will talk about the changes to seasons and the annual pass in a few weeks but they have been accepting pre-orders for months now and nowhere on the marketing did it mention a change so people have been expecting to pay for the content and keep the content like its been for 5 years.

Now it appears your only getting access to all of the content for the duration of the season which is a big change from what people have known, Bungie are saying its due to how big the file size of D2 has become they cannot grow the install size any bigger so they have to swap out content but its funny how this change fits in perfectly with the changes to their cashshop and going f2p as its very much the standard fear of missing out type of content model f2p games use to drive up player hours and sales in the cashshop.
    Last edited by Kelador; 08-17-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelador View Post
    Yeah the change to how the DLC are being added to the game and how he vaguely dropped that info into his blog post has upset lots of people They have said they will talk about the changes to seasons and the annual pass in a few weeks but they have been accepting pre-orders for months now and nowhere on the marketing did it mention a change so people have been expecting to pay for the content and keep the content like its been for 5 years.

Now it appears your only getting access to all of the content for the duration of the season which is a big change from what people have known, Bungie are saying its due to how big the file size of D2 has become they cannot grow the install size any bigger so they have to swap out content but its funny how this change fits in perfectly with the changes to their cashshop and going f2p as its very much the standard fear of missing out type of content model f2p games use to drive up player hours and sales in the cashshop.
    lol instal size too big, thats a nice excuse i havent heard before. yeah sounds like scummy changes to take all the fun out of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    lol instal size too big, thats a nice excuse i havent heard before. yeah sounds like scummy changes to take all the fun out of the game
    Yeah Destiny 2 engine and file compression (I dont think it has one!) is the worst I've seen in a modern game currently Destiny 2 is around 90GB the shadowkeep expansion says it requires 165GB!! Now compare it to say warframe which has around the same amount of content and thats only 24GB or compare it to a true MMO Final Fantasy XIV which is around 40GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelador View Post
    Yeah Destiny 2 engine and file compression (I dont think it has one!) is the worst I've seen in a modern game currently Destiny 2 is around 90GB the shadowkeep expansion says it requires 165GB!! Now compare it to say warframe which has around the same amount of content and thats only 24GB or compare it to a true MMO Final Fantasy XIV which is around 40GB.
    dang, and i thought gta5 was big with its 86gb. looks like i wont be able to fit that on my ssd lol, guess there was some truth to the ridiculous filesize ;p

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 19

Had fun upon release till the novelty wore off. Crucible was a nice grind and Trials over the weekend was a nice adrenaline rush. Might pick this up again soon since I quit back in Y1 before any expansion release, had hit end game and got bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Gattsu View Post
    Had fun upon release till the novelty wore off. Crucible was a nice grind and Trials over the weekend was a nice adrenaline rush. Might pick this up again soon since I quit back in Y1 before any expansion release, had hit end game and got bored.
    They removed trials at the end of season 1 along with faction rallies no sign they will come back they also removed skill based match making and increased the teams to 6v6 but on the same maps designed for 4v4...

Yeah pvp in Destiny 2 has to be the worst experience I have had EVER and Im 36 so started playing games online with a 56k modem that was a better experience the amount of DDOS attacks, aimbot users and people lagging around has also gotten worse in D2 lol

+ Reply to Thread