+ Reply to Thread

Thread: State of the Forum: September 2019

Editor in Chief Reputation: 33

Default State of the Forum: September 2019

The Short Version:

• We've got post archives and we've done some clean up.
    • We're starting to work on forum reorganization.
    • OMG Youtube code works!11!!1!!

The Long Version:

First off, I've finished setting up post archive forums for all of our active forums. These archive forums contain all threads that haven't been active in at least one year (365 days) at the time of clean-up, and are set as sub-forums from their respective forums. Everything in them can be read, but there's no new posting allowed. This will let us continue to keep our history while reducing thread necroing and making it easier for people to find active topics. Do note that these archive forums are maintained manually, which means that there's no auto-pruning/moving in place. We will do a prune every few months to keep those old threads moving.

I also went and trashed a ton of 'soft deleted' posts dating all the way back to 2006. These posts are ones that were moderated and deleted primarily for spam reasons. No one but moderators could see them anyway, and they were seriously clogging up the forum and taking up unnecessary space. Now they're not. It's possible you might see a slight improvement on forum load times because of this.

With the last of the archives set up, I also began creating new forums. So far, we have welcomed the Retro Gaming Hub and the Board & Tabletop Game Hub. These are not the only new forums we'll create, but I want to introduce new forums gradually rather than all at once. We are all ears for suggestions on what we should add!

And... after years of being broken... the Youtube BB Code is fixed. I'm frustrated about this one; I'd been told it couldn't be fixed, that it was a problem with vBulletin itself, etc. . . and after about 20 minutes of research I figured out how to fix it. I apologize that this hasn't been done way sooner, something here to be learned about believing what you're told... but hey. Late is better than never. While I was in there, I updated and fixed the gfycat code (which also has an icon!), and removed some old code because no one is going to be linking google+ videos or myspace videos anymore. And now that I know how to do this stuff, I will also look and see if there's some other useful BB codes we can add.

I've been learning vBulletin as I go, but I will continue to snoop around for other improvements I can make to what we've got. As for new forum software, I still have no positive progress to report, so I'll keep trying to make QOL improvements here.

As always, your feedback is appreciated -
    Editor in Chief, OnRPG/MMOHuts
    twitter | twitch

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 882

very nice job fixing the youtube tags! you really did a fast one on that
    as for gfycat i never heard of it but is it like imgur's mp4 short-clips to make a low filesize, but large GIF?
    if so thats great!

thanks for the work

Moderator Reputation: 10

Yeah, gfycat.com is what we use for embedding gifs in our reviews all the time.
    in dreams i walk with u

Editor in Chief Reputation: 33

Oops, had to adjust the permissions in here so it didn't moderate *every* post.

Thanks for the support. I'll probably be adding in a couple more subforums this week.
    Editor in Chief, OnRPG/MMOHuts
    twitter | twitch

+ Reply to Thread